Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win our fantastic prize bundle worth almost £1,000!

(509 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 01-Oct-16 13:12:01

Running throughout October, we're offering you the chance to win this amazing prize (all details HERE

To be entered into the draw simply leave a memory of your own grandparents on this thread. Usual terms and conditions apply.

SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 21-Dec-16 11:01:04

Ah yes, we did pick a winner but we haven't heard back from them and under our T&Cs, this means we pick another. So we are delighted to say that the new lucky winner is creativz. Do look out for an email coming your way shortly!

Thanks again for sharing all your lovely memories * sniff * flowers

marpau Sun 11-Dec-16 18:32:42

Gransnet did anyone win this?

gransnot Fri 02-Dec-16 17:56:59

I had two nans when I was growing up; my fathers mother was a big dour woman who we called Big Nan and my mothers mother who was a small glaswegian lady who we called (can you guess? ?) yep little nan?. My mothers parents were truly wonderful and they seemed to build their lifes around us. They were totally besotted with us ( 4 grandaughters) and with each other.

lee8000 Mon 21-Nov-16 11:32:39

Used to spend school holidays at my grandparents. My grandma was a wonderful cook and every Friday she took us to the Cattle Market to see the animals followed by a warm scone in a little tea shop.

Rielly62 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:17:35

I was so lucky to grow up with both sets of Grandparents and two Great Grandmothers until I was well into my teens, and I have very happy memories of them all. Grandma (my maternal GG) taught me how to knit and crochet, two things I still enjoy today. She was 102 when she died, was a parlour maid before she married and had seen two world wars, the invention of electricity, radio and Tv to name a few things, the changes that she saw in her lifetime must have been amazing.

gillyf Wed 02-Nov-16 00:02:20

I can remember my Grandad sitting in his chair smoking a pipe and my nanny would make such lovely dinners when we visited

theresacoo Tue 01-Nov-16 10:08:59

what a lovely thread!!
I adored my Granddad James He used to wear big Bellbottom Trousers ( like the Navy) which used to swing when he walked, He also looked like a cross between Burt Lancaster and Ronald Reagan. he never swore and he used to take me to work sometimes ( he was a Miner) and I used to drink Milk in the canteen with him and the workers who were covered in soot.

tanyavt Mon 31-Oct-16 22:22:35

I remember sitting with my grandad listening to the cats purring and him telling me that they were singing for me. He was such a kind old man... who was taken from us too soon.

Jess9887 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:06:40

My grandad and I were very close. We used to go fishing together all the time. He even bought me my own fishing rod. He would pack us a picnic and we would go rain or shine. It usually ended with us puddle jumping. Unfortunately he died when I was six but I will always treasure those memories and pictures.

cathyov Mon 31-Oct-16 15:24:00

My grandparents lived and worked on a farm and I loved them both doing the cheesemaking and my grandmother making the butter and clotted cream and of course I loved samplping it all.

Parsley Mon 31-Oct-16 14:32:48

I had fab grandparents, my Grannie (mother's mum) who was very ill with emphysema, but she rarely let it get her down. She was a tiny, but very strong lady and a very loving person who was always there for me. I lived with her for a very long time in her big old fashioned house. I helped her out with the chores and her meds and she looked after me with a loving home and lots of special time where she told tales about her life in India. I was very, very fond of her and devastated when she died while I was at Uni :-(

On the other side of the family, my dad's parents were fun to stay with and visit as they really spoiled us 3 girls rotten. My grandma had a soft spot for me being the eldest much to my sisters' annoyance. My grandad always took us for a long walk to the swings followed by sweeties and I often went on shopping trips out with my grandma, just to the market or running errands with them. It was always fun and a break from the norm. Again I really miss them as they had a lot of input in my life when I was a kid.

Ddpunk Mon 31-Oct-16 13:43:06

I will never forget my Nanny teaching me how to make Pom Poms. So much fun and so simple.

jamielmdjs Mon 31-Oct-16 12:42:53

School dinner were not my friend so when the option to go to gran's for lunch became available i jumped at the chance. Her mac and cheese was legendary - as were all the treats that were also on offer.

While to food was great, an excuse to visit more regularly and spend time with her was worth way more than a full belly.

Jen8 Mon 31-Oct-16 12:35:30

My gran and grandad lived in a 2-up,2-down house in North Wales. Grandad cooked on the range in the living room, and he cooked the best chips ever, on the fire in a soot-blackened saucepan.

mooms Mon 31-Oct-16 11:21:12

As a 'love child' of the 50's, I never knew my biological fathers details - and sadly, my grandad on my mums side had died long before I was born.
My maternal nan, however, was what you could call a character. I have many memories of her, singing as she came home from the pub, worse for wear! Her favourite ditties were 'By the light of the silvery moon', and 'The Deadwood Stage'. My most enduring[and bizarrely endearing] is of Polly[nans nickname] in the back kichen and a marrow! She was making marrow rum, which entailed hanging the marrow up, filled with demerara sugar, and then it dripping into a container. Unfortunately, my nan had her head upturned underneath, catching the[alcoholic] drips. Impoverished, but happy days.

Piggypoo Mon 31-Oct-16 09:20:32

My Grandad always used to buy me a bar of chocolate, forget they were in his cardigan pocket, fall asleep in the chair, then when I'd come round to see them, he'd present me with a mess of melted chocolate! Happy days!

susanjessejames Mon 31-Oct-16 01:02:18

My grandparents always welcomed all of the children with a jug of lemon & barley (with ice and mint) - very swish !!and of course a warm welcome and questions about school/friends/hobbies etc.Happy memories for me now I have grandchildren of my own. I strive to recreate my own relationship with grandchildren to match my own memories.

Nanabelle Sun 30-Oct-16 23:39:55

My grandparents were Swiss, but lived in the UK from about 1914. I remember my Nanny was always knitting Grandad socks - grey ones - on lots of double ended needles, with very fine wool. Grandad had a small holding in his spare time from work and kept goats and chickens. I remember he showed me little fluffy hatchlings in a drawer! Must have been just hatched! He called me Mon Petit Chou - I used to think that meant My Little Cabbage, but have just googled it to discover it means My Little Cream Puff/My little sweetie! So much nicer! Happy memories.

saurus Sun 30-Oct-16 23:17:21

My Gran had loads of animal ornaments. I used to get her to put a standard lamp in the middle of the floor and I'd arrange them around the bottom of it. It was our version of Magic Roundabout! We played it everytime I slept over. Still remember those times fondly to this day x

daisyduck Sun 30-Oct-16 22:54:12

My Nanny had what we called her treasure box.. full of spare buttons, buckles, bits and bobs of broken jewellery. etc etc.. we loved playing with it and discovering the "treasure"

bc1616 Sun 30-Oct-16 22:29:59

My lovely grandma died aged 92 4 years ago. We were very close and I spent lots of time with her. My best times with her was when she'd tell me the stories of the war times, it was interesting to hear the history she lived through

ohnoo Sun 30-Oct-16 21:15:47

I only had one grandparent, my nanny, you could ask her anything about the latest sports action, football, rugby, cricket, snooker, darts, we would have great times chatting about it.

granfromafar Sun 30-Oct-16 21:04:54

I only knew my Grandmas as both Grandads had died before I was born. My maternal Grandma lived near us and I used to cycle to her house every weekend to visit. I remember being most impressed watching her not just touching her toes, but placing her palms flat on the floor in front of her without bending her knees! She did this well into her eighties, and lived till she was about 92. No-one actually knew her exact age as she was a refugee from Lithuania and managed to lose her birth certificate in transit.

Cathy100102 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:15:57

I used to love going to grandma's house for Sunday dinner when all the cousins were there :-)

starlily106 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:38:43

feel that it was the best part of my childhood.
Sorry, my tablet is acting itself tonight......