Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a fabulous family-friendly farm holiday in Cornwall **NOW CLOSED**

(119 Posts)
MetteGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 29-Mar-17 14:56:13

The perfect escape for little ones and grown-ups to relax and recharge

Gransnet has joined forces with Tredethick Farm Cottages in Lostwithiel, Cornwall, to offer one lucky gransnetter (and up to 5 family members) a winter farm break for up to four nights in one of their luxury cottages.

Feed the animals every morning with Farmer Jenny; ride on the gentle ponies; splash around in the warm indoor pool; relax with the papers and fresh coffee in the indoor play barn; and enjoy the beautiful, secluded Cornish countryside.

The luxury cottages are a home from home with everything you need to make your stay fun and pleasurable, with little extras provided including black-out blinds, bed guards and cots. And, don’t forget the stunning hot tub and futuristic glass pod overlooking the stunning Fowey Valley.

To enter, tell us your funniest holiday story - good or bad!

Competition closes Wednesday 26 April.

Please see full T&Cs here

callgirl1 Tue 13-Jun-17 16:53:00

Who eventually received this holiday prize after I handed it back? I haven`t seen any notification.

Charleygirl Thu 27-Apr-17 12:17:34

I agree with shysal so nice to see a familiar name rather than these folk who only enter competitions and we never hear from them otherwise.

shysal Thu 27-Apr-17 11:34:17

Lovely to see a familiar name as the winner! enjoy your prize. flowers

Maggiemaybe Thu 27-Apr-17 06:41:59

Many congratulations, callgirl1. Your Florida holiday woes made me smile and what a lovely prize! smile wine

TONKATOL Wed 26-Apr-17 23:43:47

When I was a teenager my parents owned a caravan. We usually only went away for a few days at a time and used the public toilets where possible, so the cassette toilet in the caravan didn't need emptying until we got back. One year we were away a bit longer and the toilet needed emptying. My dad used to get really embarrassed about these things and so I volunteered to do it for him. I took the cassette over to the waste water closet and started emptying the cassette - but it didn't seem to disappear. I went back and told my parents but they told me to continue, explaining it would take a little while. Job done and everyone happy...... or so I thought. The next morning I was woken up at about 5am by my dad coming into the caravan. Where had he been? He had spent the night worrying about the non-disappearing contents and so had got up early to check - I had used the waste water closet - not the Chemical Closet - so my poor dad had been scooping up the muck by hand and emptying it into the correct disposal point and then flushing the water closet with plenty of water. Funnily enough, nobody ever asked me to do that job again! We still had a great holiday, although were a bit tired for a day or two.

MawBroon Wed 26-Apr-17 17:50:24

I am thrilled for you. Callgirl It couldn't go to a nicer person!! ????

NanaandGrampy Wed 26-Apr-17 17:07:59

You deserve it Callgirl !! Enjoy the break x

callgirl1 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:08:17

I don`t believe I`ve won this! I don`t win things like holidays! I`ve the problem now of deciding who to ask out of all my tribe without upsetting anyone. Thank you so much Gransnet!

MetteGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Apr-17 13:29:00

Thank you all for your wonderful stories!

Congrats to callgirl1 who has won our family-friendly farm competition.

swifty999 Wed 26-Apr-17 11:44:24

We took my Dad (Grand dad John!) on holiday to Spain a few years back and one day did the usual thing and popped into a restaurant for lunch.
Now Dad although about 80 at the time, still likes to think he has a flair for the Spanish language even after all these years so after we sat down at a table he decided to put this to good use!
It was certainly a bit warm in this hotel and Dad decided to call the waitress over and ask her to open the window since he was very warm, which he attempted in his usual confident style although leaving the waitress somewhat startled and bemused. She spoke to another waiter who came across and asked Dad to repeat what he said, which Dad again confidently did at which point the male waiter then broke into a laugh and pointed out to Dad that whilst the Spanish word 'caliente' did indeed mean hot, when used in the way he had, what he had actually done was call the girl waitress over and proceed to inform her that 'he was feeling very randy and could she open the window'!!

Emmamaryd Wed 26-Apr-17 07:46:13

Our holidays have been pretty uneventful. I do remember one occasion when we were at the airport getting ready to fly home. Almost to the departure desk when my brother realised he had lost his passport. Cue him emptying his bags in front of everyone. Major panic. Then he checks his trouser pockets and finds it!

Bruciebaby Wed 26-Apr-17 01:09:00

Returning from our holiday in Tenerife whilst passing through customs with our luggage which was placed on the table my girlfriends small case started to move on it's own accord, I looked at Sheila and she lowered her head , I said to her what's the matter. By which time the customs officer opened the case, and started to search whereupon he pulled out two heavily Vibrating Vibrateors which to our great embarrassment was laughed off with a smile and a wink by the customs officer, we left.

Bruciebaby Wed 26-Apr-17 00:08:13

Returning from A Safari in North Thailand and Burma I was arrested in Bangkok Airport for Drug smuggling. They had dogs that sniffed drugs in my luggage, as the officers wheat through all my stuff they pulled out a cross bow I acquired from the Meo Indians. They began to laugh and then showed me that the twine for the bow was made from the hemp of marijuana plant and it was this that set the alarm bells off, so they let me go but kept the twine , wow I was to say the least very relieved.

babyroo Tue 25-Apr-17 23:34:20

I went on a camping holiday in America when I was younger. We all pitched our tent near to this glorious tree with Ivy surrounding it. We awoke during the night itching and in severe pain. We went to the nearest hospital and was told we had been stung by poison ivy, when we returned to the camp site we noticed a warning sign by the tree, that we hadn't seen in the light the night before.

stampinSTAN1968 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:31:58

whilst on holiday wth my parents and my husband a few years ago in turkey we were heading back to our appartments the one evening and i decided to play a joke on my parents. They were quite far behind us heading back to the room so i deccided to hide in the doorway and jump out on them when they got there. I did just that but when i jumped out it was a different couple i jumped out on. I really made the man jump but i was laughing that much i couldnt speak. My husband appologised and took me back to our room where i just couldnt stop laughing at the guys face when i made him jump. A few days later we were wtching a show and i got up in the break to go to the toilet, i turned the corner and a guy jumped out on me, i screamed and very slightly wet myself!! Yes he got me back, we both saw the funny side and called it quits.

bossybc Tue 25-Apr-17 22:14:34

I packed all the caravan, the kids clothes, mine and my partners. got all the way down to cornwall. Once we got there found out we had remembered everything except my partners underwear. He swore blind I did it on purpose

forestheather Tue 25-Apr-17 21:20:03

Camping beside Loch Lomond when my sister and I were children, the nearby river burst its banks and flooded our tent. We rapped on our parents camper van door and told them what had happened. 'Don't be so silly' came the reply and they wouldn't let us in!

pepicola Tue 25-Apr-17 20:14:28

When my daughter was about 8 and we were on a family holiday in Newquay, we spent the day at one of those farm parks. There was a boating lake with wooden row boats which you could take a ride in. As we approached the boats, she wasn't looking where she was going and stepped right off the side of the jetty and ended up waist deep in the lake. She wasn't impressed but the rest of us thought it was hilarious. Luckily we were staying nearby so she could go and get changed.

toptecus3 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:10:04

on holiday in greece, my eldest was 2 at the time. but who is 20 now decided to have a very large number 2 right next 20 the pool and then shouted very loudly "mum i had a sh!t". she has never lived it down and we tell everyone about it . we was potty training her , obviousley not very well hahahah

cjh123 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:35:55

Funniest holiday story was when we went camping and took loads of food that was fresh like a fruitcake, biscuits and bread. As novice campers we didnt know canvas will not out animals so after being out all day we came home to a pile of crumbs, a ripped tent and open zip. Apparently according to the neighbours we had a badger a fox and a cat all come that day. We now know to leave the goodies home or store them in a solid tin.

ajanela Tue 25-Apr-17 15:57:52

At 50 I decided to take my first skiing holiday in Italy with my daughter who could ski. First day's lessons on a gentle slop near the hotel. I wasn't very good but coped. 2 nd day up the lift to the mountain. We were then expected to ski down. Started and then all I could see was the horizon in front of me and could not remember how to turn right. Only solution, fell into a bush. Made my way back to the ski lift, this was too dangerous for me but spent the rest of the week enjoying the beautiful scenery and cups of hot chocolate. Glad I tried.

embach Tue 25-Apr-17 15:52:15

My most memorable holiday was when my auntie decided to take us on the beach from our holiday home to have a breakfast bbq. Just as we were getting ready to serve the food she realised that she had forgotten all the plates and cutlery.. so we resorted to eating BBQ bacon straight off the grill.. I have to admit it was the best bacon I ever had even if I had to eat it with my hands

niruhack Tue 25-Apr-17 14:53:36

we had our first family holiday in sri lanka, where we went on a Safari trip, we waited so long to get to see a Leopard, whilst that hubby needed a wee break, he went to the forest and came running because there was a Leopard on the tree where he was about to wee on lol

TheGlovers1 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:50:58

I was just eighteen and so looking forward to my first ever holiday abroad with a friend . We had saved so hard and booked two weeks in Spain .I was nervous about flying and had not eaten before the flight .At the airport we met some rather good looking lads who were on the same flight ,so a little bit of flirting took place.As soon as the plane took off I felt sick and shortly my ears started to hurt badly.I gradually lost my hearing completely. My friend continued to flirt with the lads ignoring my groans and my puce face.By the time we had landed I felt so ill and kept trying to tell my friend who continued to ignore me.The heat in Spain was unbelievable. I felt worse and worse.As I stood by the luggage carousel I fainted and fell face down with the luggage which continued to revolve .My friend still chatting to the boys did not even notice!.I was rescued by some airport staff who called an ambulance .I had split my head open and my face was black and blue .All my friend could say to me was "you were so embarrassing your knickers were showing when you were on that carousel "!

grannytotwins Tue 25-Apr-17 14:18:50

As my grandmother was French, we went every year to Wimereaux, so she could speak French, eat her favourite food, and to install a love of France in me and my parents. We used to go across the Channel in, what would now be, tiny ferries. I loved to see the one car it could take being craned into the boat. We would hire a tent on the beach every day and sit on the sand eating pain au chocolat which was unobtainable in England in those days, back in the fifties.
One day I wanted to go to the loo. My mother pointed in the direction of the WCs and gave me a coin to give to the ladies on the door. I handed over the money and went into the booth. There was no toilet! Now I know that they had ones that you squat over, but as a five year old I had never seen this before. I had total hysterics, the poor French ladies had no idea why I was screaming and didn't understand what I was saying. One of them took me back onto the sand to find my family. Cue, lots of laughter from them, but total embarrassment for me.