Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 M&S voucher and 4 'Senior Moments' books! **NOW CLOSED**

(328 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Dec-17 12:11:16

We've teamed up with Bonnier Publishing to give you the chance to win a £100 M&S voucher and four hilarious titles.

Most of us have had a ’senior moment’, whether it's calling your child by the wrong name (us, often) or returning from the supermarket without the one item you specifically went in for (oh, us again. Frequently).

But it seems that these things happen to the best of us and that's certainly borne out by Senior Moments, a hilarious new book series collating the best of award-winning greeting card illustrator Tim Whyatt’s cartoons depicting the highs, lows, laughter and indignities of later life.

To be in with a chance of winning an M&S voucher and copies of Senior Moments: Ageing Disgracefully, Christmas, Love & Marriage and Uncensored, tell us - what's your funniest 'senior moment'?

The Senior Moments series is out now and available to buy from WHSmith.

Please post your entry below by midday Monday 18 December.

Usual T&Cs apply.

lindseylofty Mon 18-Dec-17 09:02:24

Sprinkling the lemon meringue pie not with sugar, but salt!

cathyov Mon 18-Dec-17 09:00:21

Of course I knew where I had parked my car in the supermarket car park but....! You know that feeling you are convinced someone has moved it as you look at the sea of cars that suddenly all look the same? I am sure my next car will have to be a bright neon colour so I do not have to trail up and down looking for it and then retrieve my trolley from the customer service lady who looks at me very sympathetically and makes me feel at least ten years older!

jazzitup Mon 18-Dec-17 08:33:03

Had a sales call last week and Mr Steve asked me about my windows (he meant computer), I said I already have some and they are washed on a regular basis.
Seemed to confuse Mr Steve and myself but at least they have not phoned back. grin)

jakki66 Mon 18-Dec-17 08:20:35

I was talking to mum on her mobile when she said I cant find my phone ,I started to Laugh saying you silly cow you are on it, we both laughed, she then asked me for Aunty Maureens phone number when I relised I couldn't find my Mobile, I said Iv lost my phone now... Mum laughed and said you silly cow you have just turned into your MOTHER...of course I was on it. I miss her so much and im proud to be just like her.x

maclinks Mon 18-Dec-17 08:10:59

Could not get the tv to work was on thecordless phone to my daughter who was talking me through the buttons to press on the remote control, she then exclaimed...mum!, you need to push the remote control buttons not the telephone buttons

suzied Mon 18-Dec-17 07:59:13

When I had longer hair I used to use a pair of (clean) pants as a shower cap...until the day I forgot and turned up at work with a pair of pants on my head.

jacqroberts Mon 18-Dec-17 07:42:57

This was just recently. I went into Tesco petrol station to pay and I'd forgot to check the number and didn't recognise my car from the front? Even though my 16 year old was sat in the front passenger seat. They put me out of my misery and pointed out my car to me!

Springhead Mon 18-Dec-17 07:21:48

I recently turned up at work having completely forgotten I had booked the day off to use up some outstanding leave. Duh!

drakehereford Mon 18-Dec-17 07:08:56

My funniest senior moment when i walked into the sitting room with a nice cup of coffee only to find id already made one and put it on the coffee table

Debzwoowoo Mon 18-Dec-17 06:39:28

has to be Christmas eve a good few years ago . I had prepared the turkey and all the trimmings beautifully in anticipation of the families arrival . Sliding the turkey into the oven I sighed with relief. Feeling proud of my organisational skills and rather like an unsexier version on Nigella I went off to get a nice long soak and hit the sack ready for the big day. Awaking Feeling fresh as a daisy and super confident of my Xmas dinner cooking abilities I trotted off to check and baste the turkey. Oh....id forgotten to turn the oven on . With little time to spare before the arrival of 12 of my nearest and dearest I panicked and did what Nigella herself would probably have done...threw in some frozen sausage lol. I've never lived it down.

commandervimes Mon 18-Dec-17 06:01:10

Banana skin in the fridge and pack of 4 yogurts in the composting bin - one of those days again

paperbackbutterfly Mon 18-Dec-17 05:48:01

As there was a long queue for the ladies when we were at the theatre,and I was desperate I decided to use the disabled loo. When I had finished I couldn't open the door. I pushed and pulled and in a panic started shouting 'help, I'm locked I'm.' It was a sliding door, I'd forgotten. A very nice man let me out and insisted on seeing me back to my seat and my family. Oh, the embarrassment

jeanniev1 Mon 18-Dec-17 05:34:04

Mum was incredibly proud of my sister when she announced she had been promoted to sister at the hospital she worked at in London. She bragged terribly to friends about it and took great pleasure in telling all and sundry she had a really high up job on the very dangerous ward- she had no idea that VD stood for something entirely different!!

Dan29 Mon 18-Dec-17 04:10:05

Booked a Monday off work to have a relaxing long weekend as a treat - and then forgot and went in anyway!

Lepidina Mon 18-Dec-17 01:25:25

Everyone says how much my daughter looks like me. I did not realise how much until I saw her across the shop floor in the town centre. I raised my arm to wave to her and realised I was looking at myself in a mirror.

paulacheadle Mon 18-Dec-17 00:23:37

went to the post office to post a letter, met a friend got talking, then went back home, when I got home I had not posted the letter and had to go back

blue25 Sun 17-Dec-17 23:37:54

When looking after my lovely neighbour's sausage dog, I tied her up outside the shop, forgot all about her and walked the 20 minutes home with her still outside the shop. My friend still doesn't know as fortunately I remembered eventually and retrieved the dog!

lindsaysss Sun 17-Dec-17 23:30:43

After a few glasses of wine during Christmas dinner instead of defrosting the Black Forest gateau i put the microwave on heat high power. When I opened the door cream & hot cherries dripped out of the microwave. Oh that was a very senior moment.

mixedlot Sun 17-Dec-17 23:04:53

One of my senior moments was thinking it was a Friday on a Thursday and not going into work because I was on annual leave

essexgirl46 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:58:35

I couldn't get the remote control to lock the car. I clicked to lock it and it just unlocked immediately. In a panic I took it to a garage, they just looked at me and asked "is one of the doors open"...of course it was, I hadn't thought to check..Another one was driving up to Newbury Park underground and parking the car for a night in London. Then getting the overground all the way back home to Essex as I'd forgotten that I'd done it.

Jai3mum Sun 17-Dec-17 21:55:58

I left the dog tied up outside a shop and didn't realise until I got home - what made it worse was that I'd walked past him and thought how much he looked like ours!

JDEAN77 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:30:36

I once turned up to work in my slippers and went shopping with odd shoes on. No one said anything and I didn't notice until I got home and went to take them off. No doubt something similar will happen in the future but I don't care if it raises a smile or two.

sweir1 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:10:55

My mum once decided to put cheese on toast in the toaster...

Rielly62 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:53:08

A male friend of mine called in to see me on the way back from visiting his Aunt, I nearly choked on my coffee as he told me that his Aunt had the most amazing clitoris !! He carried on to tell me that it was deep pink, and as soon as he saw it he thought of me! It was only when he told me that it was growing around the front door and he had asked for a cutting for me, that I realised that he was describing a clematis. We went from Deep red and mortified to crying with laughter, Hilarious senior moment.

brenda300 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:46:18

Driving home one day I noticed the car in front seemed to have tentecles moving about in the back window. My first thought was why have they got an octopus in the car! As I got closer I realised they had three dogs in the back and it was their tails I had seen!