Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Waitrose voucher and a copy of Greatest Hits! **NOW CLOSED**

(605 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Mar-18 14:08:03

In our latest competition with Orion, we're giving you the chance to win a £100 Waitrose voucher and a copy of Greatest Hits by number one bestselling author Laura Barnett, a story about the power of reflection and how much our memories mean to us.

If you could choose just 16 moments to define your entire life, what would they be? That’s what Cass Wheeler must do. A musician born in 1950, Cass is now taking one day to select the 16 songs in her repertoire that have meant the most to her.

And behind each song lies a story - from the day her mother abandoned her, to her passionate first love, to the moment she lost everything. The dreams, the failures, the second chances.

So, what are the songs that mean the most to you, and evoke your most precious memories? Perhaps it was the first dance at your wedding, or the song repeated on the radio throughout your first holiday, or the only music that would rock your baby to sleep. Tell us in the comments below for the chance to win an £100 Waitrose voucher and a copy of Greatest Hits! We also have 25 copies of the book for runners-up.

Greatest Hits is published by W&N, an imprint of Orion, and is available online and from all good booksellers.

Please post your entries below by 11am 16 April.

Usual T&Cs apply.

Dawnmf1969 Mon 16-Apr-18 21:14:01

My wedding song is Rest of my Life by Matt Johnsohn, the words are beautiful and had guests in tears, especially these lines. As I stand here before my woman
I can't fight back the tears in my eyes
Oh, how could I be so lucky
I must've done something right
And I promise to love her for the rest of my life.
The song is beautiful and touches me everytime i hear it.

molly57 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:03:18

Cry Me A River

pamelacook Mon 16-Apr-18 11:04:59

Moon River (Andy Williams) was 'our song' for me and my fiancé way, way back in the 60s. We never did get married but that song still brings back lovely memories of my first real love

Debzwoowoo Mon 16-Apr-18 10:40:35

Mine has to be Caravan of Love By The Housmartins . We played it at my husband's funeral. He passed away at just 42 . With young children I didn't want to play anything depressing or the traditional hymns. This seemed very appt. It still gives me goosepimples many years later . Thanks for the chance to be your lucky winner.

julsthomas Mon 16-Apr-18 10:23:32

Not in love by 10cc, the last song played on the night I met my husband. Not looking for a relationship but its one that has lasted and grown for 39 years. Hearing this song transports me to the time and venue we first met. It was fate

villagefox Mon 16-Apr-18 10:17:33

Radio Ga Ga - Queen. My son loves this song and used to sing it everyday when he was younger smile

star100 Mon 16-Apr-18 09:41:05

Gloria Gaynor - I will survive

Always a song that lifted my mood when times were low!

emziemay Mon 16-Apr-18 09:17:00

I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder. First dance at our wedding smile

Becky39 Mon 16-Apr-18 09:14:04

I love listening to Brimful of Asha, as when I hear it, I always reminisce about when I was at Sheffield Univesity, doing my Nursing Degree. My BFF, Claire and I, always used to love this song and it would always get us up onto the dance floor. If it comes onto the radio now or onto one of the music channels, we still text or phone one another to let us know that it is on. It really makes me smile and think about all of the fab memories that will last a lifetime.

caroledillon Mon 16-Apr-18 09:04:48

The first dance at our wedding was Louis Armstrong "We have all the time in the world"......so romantic.

cathyov Mon 16-Apr-18 09:02:41

Any Elvis song makes me think of my parents as they both loved his songs. I remember mum had an LP of his which seemed to be playing continuously so I knew them all. We chose Elvis's version of My Way for dad's funeral but I remember Blue Suede Shoes being one of their favourite ones to dance to and mum singing Smile an Everlasting Smile to me when I was doing my childhood habit of sulking!

Jai3mum Mon 16-Apr-18 08:59:25

Mine would be Rainy Days and Mondays by The Carpenters, it was one of my dad's favourite songs and it always reminds me of spending time with him when I was little

harley49 Mon 16-Apr-18 07:42:39

So many records have a special meaning for me including 'Nights in White Satin' which was played as I went up the aisle at my Wedding, 'Stranger on the Shore' as my beautiful, awesome Mummy's coffin was brought into the Crematorium and 'Life is a Roller Coaster' which was a particularly happy time in my life, amongst many others. Music is a wonderful medium through which to evoke so many memories. xx

cazhow Mon 16-Apr-18 07:29:15

Sweet Caroline - my dad always sang this to me when I was a little girl

Jf1968 Mon 16-Apr-18 07:26:52

Fix you by Coldplay great memories of our wedding and our lovely family and friends

cathryn1 Mon 16-Apr-18 07:18:32

Lonestar - Amazed our wedding song

millymoo1971 Mon 16-Apr-18 06:59:32

Evanescence - My Immortal. This was my daughter's favourite song and we played it at her funeral when she sadly died suddenly at 14

snare Mon 16-Apr-18 06:57:01

"breakfast at Tiffany's" is the song from the start of my relationship smile

Bunney225 Mon 16-Apr-18 06:21:49

Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad’ and ‘For Crying Out Loud’ byMeatloaf a real reminder of my first love and teenage years. When I hear it I am magically ported back to that teenager in love, wearing skin tight jeans and leather jacket.

GeorgeW Mon 16-Apr-18 03:53:22

Mr. Blue Sky by ELO because we always play it when it's nice out in the summer, on day trips and holidays, picnics, barbecues, in the car and on the beach! It's my go to happy song and it reminds me of all the good times!

sue55 Mon 16-Apr-18 01:46:46

Before we married I won a holiday to Nashville, DH phoned & sang 'Stand by your Man' to me. It made me laugh so much! We got married and went to Nashville for our honeymoon!

blackbis5 Mon 16-Apr-18 01:41:30

My favourite song is Say You Wont Let Go, by James Arthur, as my finance got down on one knee, and proposed to me at a packed Echo Arena, last October

grannygrunt Mon 16-Apr-18 00:47:28

My song is: Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder. My beloved husband (who has now passed away) sang this the moment our beautiful daughter was born 35 years ago. It is still bringing tears to my eyes as I write this all these years later.

SatanicGoth Mon 16-Apr-18 00:43:16

Our first dance was I don’t want to miss a thing by Aerosmith. We spent a few years as a long distance relationship so that song is very meaningful to us.

gill81uk Sun 15-Apr-18 23:36:05

The Proclaimers 500 miles was the first song I danced to with my husband, as friends getting to know each other. I think it marked the moment I started to fall in love with him.