Gransnet forums

Competitions

Book 'give way' being re-given away?

(23 Posts)
Grannyknot Mon 11-Jun-18 15:01:59

wildswan it went in the garage, still in its box and after many, many hours/weeks even months of phone calls, emails, begging and not getting anywhere, we kept it. As it happened the first one packed up after about a year ...

Grannyknot Mon 11-Jun-18 15:00:06

Bellanonna I only paid for one fridge ...

The number of times my husband has ordered something for DIY and been sent the wrong part and he emails or phones to correct it and they send the correct one and tell him to throw the one sent in error away ...

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jun-18 12:31:52

Hi! The publisher has confirmed that there's been a mix-up. You should have been receiving a copy of Circe, as a winner of our book giveaway with Bloomsbury. You are fine to keep the second copy of Sail Away of course, and do expect a copy of Circe at some point after Wednesday, which is when copies will be dispatched.

wildswan16 Mon 11-Jun-18 11:55:55

grannyknot - that must have been a nightmare - they're not exactly small items to have lying around the house.

Many years ago I received two deliveries of a pair of jeans and jumper from an online company (which I won't name as they might come after me). I was very hard up at the time so just kept quiet, but put the extra parcel aside for a few months until I was sure they hadn't realised. Then found the extra clothes a very useful addition to my wardrobe. I'd never make a success as a criminal, I still feel guilty about it !

Bellanonna Mon 11-Jun-18 11:53:51

But they still made a profit ?

Grannyknot Mon 11-Jun-18 11:36:54

fourormore I meet with a GN friend on a regular basis and we are always swopping our Gransnet books. This isn't much different. So as Baggs says, don't feel guilty.

By the way, I once had two fridges delivered. Now that was a story grin I couldn't persuade the suppliers to take the second one back for love nor money.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jun-18 10:40:50

I'm checking this with the publisher, fourormore, but sounds like a clerical error, in which case, do with the second copy as you wish!

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 17:30:36

Thanks so much Cari - it was an odd thing to happen after all this time smile
Thanks also Baggs for understanding my situation!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Jun-18 16:37:28

Also just to note - it is not possible for us to read every post so we do rely on people reporting things we should see in case we haven't seen it initially

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 10-Jun-18 16:36:38

Hello - I am not sure why you might have received a second copy so long after the first. It's certainly not something that I am aware of but I will check with LauraGransnet tomorrow as she looks after our giveaways and competitions. But yes, giving the spare copy to someone who may benefit from it (such as a charity shop) seems the best thing to do

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 16:05:12

Don't feel guilty, fourormore.

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 16:04:27

Thanks shysal - I will email GNHQ.
I believe Greyduster may be correct in that the publishers send the books out and it may well be a clerical error. However, I am concerned that it must cost 'someone' so will contact GNHQ. I will probably get the same answer as shysal in which case the hospice will benefit.
Thanks for your help!

Greyduster Sun 10-Jun-18 15:50:26

Isn’t it the publishers who send out the books, not GNHQ? Probably a clerical error.

shysal Sun 10-Jun-18 15:31:05

This happened to me some time ago when I won a classic book and chose Heidi. Some time later another arrived. I emailed GNHQ saying I knew of a good cause to which I could forward it, and they were happy for me to do so. I was the same as you, not wanting to feel I had diddled anybody.
You can email [email protected]

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 15:16:01

Wish I hadn't started this now! shock
It was a Gransnet competition of a book give away.
No doubt there were other Gransnetters who entered this but were unsuccessful - hence my offer to get the second copy to them.
Almost wish now that I had said nothing and just given the book away to the hospice shop wink-sadly I have a conscience and didn't want GN or whoever supplied the books to pay double.
I haven't contacted Gransnet direct for two reasons ...
Firstly I am unsure how to ......
Secondly I have always believed that GN HQ monitor our posts - in which case it will have been picked it up at some stage and they would have contacted me?
I merely asked if it had happened to anyone else out of interest - not to cause any trouble!
I seem to have stirred up a real hornet's nest! shock
If anyone can tell me how to message GN HQ I will do so! hmm

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 15:15:46

Has it occurred to you that what you're asking is none of your business, bel?

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 13:52:37

None

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 13:52:27

Sorry but I'm still one the wiser! Did Grananet say for you just to keep the second copy and do as you wish?

Or are you asking for someone else who also won the book but didn't receive it to get in touch?

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 12:57:14

The sender was Gransnet!
It was a Gransnet giveaway which is why I asked if there was a Gransnetter who had entered but not been lucky to let me know!

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 12:51:12

Sorry for my assumption but it's a point missing from the op so that's why I queried it!

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 12:40:00

belgravian, why have you assumed that the OP hasn't told the sender that, four months apart, she received two copies?

Belgravian Sun 10-Jun-18 12:37:18

Why haven't you told the sender you've received two copies?

fourormore Sun 10-Jun-18 12:30:59

Back in February I was lucky enough to win a copy of 'Sail Away' by Celia Imrie which I subsequently received.
I haven't read it yet as I am keeping it for my holiday.
Yesterday (9th June) I received another copy!
Has this happened to anyone else?
If anyone desperately wanted to win a copy of this book and didn't please get in touch and I will get one to you, but if not I know our local 'Hospice Shop' will appreciate it so it won't go to waste!