Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win the chance to have your family tree researched and recorded - worth £150 *NOW CLOSED*

(518 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Sep-18 09:25:57

Who do YOU think you are? Who were your ancestors? How did they earn a living? Where did they live? Discover the answers to these questions in our competition with Odyssey Family Tree Research Services. Four lucky winners will have their family tree researched and recorded as far back as possible in relation to one parent's lineage.

More details on the prize HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 4 October.

To enter simply tell us... What's your favourite childhood memory?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Mwill1712 Wed 03-Oct-18 21:58:53

Cooking potatoes wrapped in tin foil on a bonfire in the field and skimming stones across the river on holiday in Wales

Kingnoah2014 Wed 03-Oct-18 21:33:13

My favourite memory has got to be the one where my nan would pick me up from school and everytime we would go home and have egg and soldiers and she would give me a marsbar. On one of those days she arrived at my school and gave me a ring with a black stone on it. I had said I wanted one for ages and she hadn't forgot. It was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen and i still have that ring now. One day I will wear it on my wedding day so she is with me. Thank you x

tubbyj Wed 03-Oct-18 21:29:40

wandering off with friends to go play in the local woods

Emmamaryd Wed 03-Oct-18 21:19:16

Playing outdoors in the summer

seaangel Wed 03-Oct-18 21:17:57

Being a bridesmaid with a white dress and a red velvet bolero- I felt so chic and to end the day seeing a shooting star light up the sky . Magical

bex552 Wed 03-Oct-18 21:14:58

Being packed in the car an told we were going to Nannies when in actual fact we were going on our first holiday on the ferry to France!

molly57 Wed 03-Oct-18 21:07:49

I remember my Dad helping me try to catch a butterfly on the window. We caught it and put it in a bubbles tin. I think I was about 3 or 4 at the time.

susiemc Wed 03-Oct-18 21:05:29

Visits to my Nan, we had to go on the Tube, very exciting!

avery64 Wed 03-Oct-18 20:33:39

On the odd occasions when life gets me down I always think back to a vivid image from my childhood of Dad having to wear swimming trunks hand-knitted by my Grandma during World War 11. Money was tight, he could not afford to get new ones but he was so determined to teach me to swim he grinned and bore the reactions of others!

annf Wed 03-Oct-18 20:07:55

3 in a bed when Granna was babysitting

ickle0ne Wed 03-Oct-18 19:59:06

Long summers in the garden playing with my sister, building rope swings on the apple tree.

Nettie17 Wed 03-Oct-18 19:50:39

My dad making a snowman wit,h me as tall as me with a hat and scarf

Comps1 Wed 03-Oct-18 19:47:42

Baking with my mum, we would spend hours baking Apple pancakes, soda bread, Apple pies, shortbread......i can still smell the wonderful aroma of newly cooked food from the kitchen.

Edenar Wed 03-Oct-18 19:38:13

Winning at chess

juneski Wed 03-Oct-18 19:15:40

Watching Laurel and Hardie on the TV on Saturday mornings with my Dad

Carolann99 Wed 03-Oct-18 19:04:40

My lovely grandmother teaching me to cook, we would pick fruit from her large garden, apples, plums, gooseberries etc and we would make delicious fruit pies. Unfortunately my mother did not have much time for me. I would have loved to have lived with nanna & grandad. I adored my grandmother.

bookmark31 Wed 03-Oct-18 18:48:54

My favourite childhood memory was having epic games of marbles.

pixxie Wed 03-Oct-18 18:48:01

Finding out that people that I called auntie, uncle and grandad really were my family when I just thought they were my mothers friends. My father was killed just after the war and when my mother remarried a year later my fathers family refused to speak to her. I was never told this until I was fourteen and assumed the person I called Dad was my father. My auntie and uncle were my fathers siblings and my 'third' grandad was the real one! It was amazing to find out all about this family so would really love to find out more on my mothers side. She said there were missing millions in the family - I wish!!

kwal Wed 03-Oct-18 18:24:24

Watching my Gran on her treadle sewing machine and then rummaging through her fabric stock to see what I could make for my dolly.

Dodo123 Wed 03-Oct-18 18:20:36

Got to be our camping trips.

bookmark58 Wed 03-Oct-18 17:25:55

My favourite memories from my youth was listening to the latest LPs in the local record shop.

Leefitz68 Wed 03-Oct-18 17:15:09

Staying at my nan's house on a Saturday night in East Dulwich and having a bath in the tin bath in front of the fire

candyfloss79 Wed 03-Oct-18 17:03:55

My best childhood memory is riding around in my Grandad's wheelbarrow. He was always happiest in his garden and that's where I like to remember him.

NannaRita Wed 03-Oct-18 16:56:49

Christmas Day with all the family around. I lost my dad as a kid. My favourite times was with him up early. Waiting for everyone to get up and relatives to arrive. The smell of the food. Watching family movies. Give anything to go back.

woo69 Wed 03-Oct-18 16:51:01

My Mummy and Daddy bringing my baby sister home from hospital, she was born six weeks premature and didn't come home until she was 4 months old. I helped my Dad to build the cot.