Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Joules picnic basket and a copy of Poppy and Sam's Animal Hide-and-Seek - together worth over £100 *NOW CLOSED*

(1001 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 05-Apr-19 10:34:33

To celebrate the return of the Poppy and Sam books, Usborne are giving gransnetters the chance to win a gorgeous Joules picnic basket and a copy of Poppy and Sam's Animal Hide-and-Seek, together worth over £100.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 4th May.

To enter simply tell us... what was your favourite outdoor activity as a child?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

paulineb Fri 03-May-19 09:59:31

I loved playing in the fields out the back of our house with all of the other kids from our road. We made dens from the straw after harvesting. We were lucky because the farmer didn't mind us being there where as nowadays the children probably wouldn't be allowed. It was great until you got in the bath in the evening and then realised how many scratches you'd got from the straw. Wow, did it sting!

HannahLI Fri 03-May-19 09:57:50

I loved tree climbing

Del2608 Fri 03-May-19 09:55:41

Building dens, playing bull dog and just getting filthy! No phones no social media, in when the street lights came on, the best years for me!

Breeze81 Fri 03-May-19 09:55:38

Impromptu blackberry picking with my pals. Coming home covered in red stains with a bag of berries and my Mum hugging me because she used to do it when she was a little girl too.

florrie01 Fri 03-May-19 09:46:29

I remember during the long summer holidays my gran would give me and my sister a jam jar full of water and a paintbrush each and send us out into the garden. We would spend hours painting the fence, the walls, the paving slabs. So simple yet my strongest childhood memory

snare Fri 03-May-19 09:29:51

I loved riding around on my bike with my friends

JamesMonk Fri 03-May-19 09:26:51

A picnic in the park and taking a variety of games; catch, frisbee, football. (weather provided of course smile )

I used to love days out at The National Trust parks as well!

twirlywhirly Fri 03-May-19 09:12:12

? crabbing my children love to feed the crabs bacon then wind them up with the crab net, great memories

lindiann Fri 03-May-19 09:02:15

Going on cycle rides with my Mum and Brother and seeing all the Wild Daffodils and Primroses in the woods smile

Nana49 Fri 03-May-19 08:58:12

We liked making dens in the woods or fields with sticks/bark/leaves & straw / hay bales (they were a lot smaller in our day!)

bdavies Fri 03-May-19 08:56:37

Building a den with friends. We had so much freedom then and were always playing outside. Only came home when it got dark or for food.

zebedee01 Fri 03-May-19 08:53:02

Hopscotch was a great game to play out in the streets smile I also loved horse riding when i was a bit older!

Sjl19 Fri 03-May-19 08:47:57

Going to the allotment with my dad and searching for old bits of broken pottery

vee Fri 03-May-19 07:48:19

Playing in the field near our house. Out all day with our friends, climbing trees, finding wildlife, making dens, and running through fields full of buttercups nearly up to our waists, and we always went home with a bunch for mum and grandma. Unfortunately our wonderful playground, surrounded by huge beech trees, is now a housing estate, and the trees are long gone!

GrOgGy6969 Fri 03-May-19 07:44:02

Building camps in the woods

snowyowl Fri 03-May-19 07:31:39

Playing in the street with friends after tea. We'd play on our bikes, hopscotch, french skipping & my favourite 'What's The Time Mr Wolf'? When the street lights outside my house went out, that was time to go in, or I was in trouble!

Stash01 Fri 03-May-19 07:14:59

We used to go playing in/falling in the village beck

giddyypixie Fri 03-May-19 06:54:45

Swimming! I was lucky enough to grow up in Zimbabwe where it is pretty standard to have an outdoor swimming pool in your garden (much bigger plots of land!!). I was in the pool from the minute I woke up until I had to go in in the evening!

Emhus7 Fri 03-May-19 06:53:27

Cardboard sliding down the steep hills
In the summer

Celama Fri 03-May-19 06:53:00

Going off on my bike with a “picnic” in the basket to the beach, all day on my own - times have definitely changed!

carajanehunter Fri 03-May-19 05:23:36

Making bows and arrows!

mrboggle Fri 03-May-19 05:20:11

Climbing trees

jackier333 Fri 03-May-19 05:06:00

I loved playing croquet!

Junie54 Fri 03-May-19 01:30:33

Uncle taking us Walking in Bothal woods, learning every wild flower, tree, Bird and creature we came across. Love Nature, Birdwatching and Wildlife to this day

karenteulon Fri 03-May-19 01:08:00

I used to love playing badminton in the garden with my brother and dad!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion