Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Roberts radio and a copy of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys *NOW CLOSED*

(1001 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Nov-19 14:43:08

To celebrate the release of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a Roberts Revival radio worth £159.99 and a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th December.

To enter simply tell us... What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

--

The thread is getting close to 1000 posts - the maximum number we can have on a thread - so we've made a new thread for when this one is full which you can find here. grin

brightonbelle12 Thu 05-Dec-19 18:06:21

Playing ludo with my Nanny and jigsaw puzzles. I never seem to have time for them now but so therapeutic.

bookmark31 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:01:37

I still have fond memories of the neighbourhood children racing their gird 'n' cleeks down the street.

Gardendisy Thu 05-Dec-19 15:26:20

One of my favourite activities that I look back on fondly was making tanks out of wooden cotton reels. It was my Dad that taught me how to make them. He was always the one that cut the little notches out of the wheels with a sharp knife. I was however allowed to thread the elastic band with the piece of candle attached through the hole. Brilliant fun when all assembled. Kept me quiet for ages.

mmmm Thu 05-Dec-19 13:53:57

I miss the sunny days outdoors playing hidey and kick-the-can.

Madhamish Thu 05-Dec-19 12:11:25

My Grandmother teaching me to play whist. I went on to win a few "drives". Sadly these events seem to be a thing of the past.

heroesof73 Thu 05-Dec-19 10:58:46

Simply football with jumpers for goal posts

Incafarmer Thu 05-Dec-19 09:57:30

Doing jig maps with my aunt. She had everyone they made and she taught me a lot of Geography and about different countries as we did them. She gave me a love of travel.

eightyeightmilesperhour Thu 05-Dec-19 08:58:17

Playing Chinese jump rope or French skipping with elastics in the primary school playground with my friends. We were so competitive!

IngeborgC Thu 05-Dec-19 08:20:46

Playing Ludo with my Dad brings back wonderful memories. When I was very small we played for fun and no prizes. When I was older and started nursing I had very little money - we played for £1 a game...ultimately he always made sure that I won in the end so I had some extra cash to take back to nursing college with me.
I now play with my grandchildren, using the same old battered Ludo board that I used with my Dad over fifty years ago. I hope that their memories will be as good as the ones I have.

hshinton Thu 05-Dec-19 08:15:45

Playing jacks and elastics in the playground .
Building snail houses out of bricks in the garden then wondering why the snails had left them in the morning ?
Simple pleasures in life LOL

bookmark77 Thu 05-Dec-19 02:14:31

We used to have some really epic games of derby in the street.

cathjoll Thu 05-Dec-19 00:30:30

Playing a game called Twang with my friends in school. This consisted of two people about eight feet apart facing each other with a long elastic band (or similar) surrounding them. The elastic would start around their ankles and the others would jump in and out of it in a pattern, gradually the elastic would be raised higher making it harder to jump in and out of. The first one to fail was the loser.

Judith339 Thu 05-Dec-19 00:24:49

Playing tag round the climbing frame when the garden had two exits!

bumblebee Wed 04-Dec-19 22:43:04

A cross between traditional dice-board games, and collecting Panini football stickers. The board games were just perfect fillers for any occasions, especially with rainy weather outside. Everyone seemed to collect the latter (not gender specific), with even the Teachers getting in on the act. The challenge was who could complete the album first - those who did received their five minutes of fame as they got to show off their complete collection in front of the whole-school during Assembly.

Maryfarrar Wed 04-Dec-19 20:55:22

Playing gin rummy with pennies on long winter evenings. Childhood felt then like it had no end.

AnnieCabbot Wed 04-Dec-19 20:43:23

I used to play for hours with my friends at elastics which was just a length of elastic in a loop wrapped around two players legs that we jumped on.

Angell74 Wed 04-Dec-19 20:15:47

French Skipping - that is what I remember if playtimes in Primary School.

Kitsonly Wed 04-Dec-19 19:47:49

For me in postwar South London, I must confess to being the only girl in a group of boys do slightly naughty things like clambering over ruins in bomb sites, ignoring the "danger" notices. Such larks!

westout4 Wed 04-Dec-19 17:19:23

I tried to teach my granddaughter two ball against the wall, she wasn’t impressed, then she asked if she could go on my I pad !

suecook Wed 04-Dec-19 16:50:42

Having my own little garden plot to grow whatever I wanted, it was a great learning curve and I still smile at the memory.

CatterySlave1 Wed 04-Dec-19 16:41:02

I used to love pinching my brothers skate boards until 1 day I came down the hill and around the corner, as I’d done lots of times, and got my wheel caught in the drain cover causing the skateboard to stop but unfortunately I carried on, scraping my knees all over the floor. Still the trip to the hospital and a swollen knee filled with fluid necessitating crutches, certainly earned me some bragging rights.

annamattandlily Wed 04-Dec-19 16:00:38

One summer holiday whilst mum worked from home I felt the need to install a swimming pool in the garden. I busily enlisted the help of my brother age 6 and we worked out if we put together the pipes to the wendy house to form the structure but not add the bit for the roof it would provide a nice deep pool once constructed we put over the plastic covering of the wendy house flipped it over onto its roof it was looking good. We then got the garden hose and filled it with freezing cold water and had not realised that the taped up tear would not hold nor would the sides of the plastic once water was in and we managed to completely flood the garden completely and to add insult to injury the tap got jammed so we needed to enlist mums help rather than damage limitation. Slightly disappointed with the outcome as we were sure that we would be swimming with local friends very soon we were given chores as a result of our handywork our grand vision had sadly fallen flat with alot of mess to clear up

claywee Wed 04-Dec-19 14:21:01

Playing jacks with my friends

mtp123 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:08:55

As a child used to love skipping on the pavement! Despite having aknee replacement I still do the odd skip!

MartinMuggeridge73 Wed 04-Dec-19 12:00:28

Racing Dinky Toys racing cars in the school playground and skinning my knuckles on the Tarmac!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion