Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £150 Waterstones voucher and a copy of The Switch *NOW CLOSED*

(817 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Apr-20 10:30:29

To celebrate the release of The Switch by Beth O'Leary we're giving one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a £150 Waterstones voucher, along with a copy of the book. We're also giving two runners-up £50 worth of Waterstones vouchers each as well as a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 23rd May.

To enter simply tell us... How important is it for people of all ages to feel connected to their community?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Rose14 Tue 26-May-20 10:34:17

The community is currently benefitting with younger people shopping and looking out for older people. This has a double whammy that the older generation is more reliant on the younger generation and is bringing both generations closer together. Long may the community spirit continue.

dorothyjk Sat 23-May-20 13:13:24

It's vital- we all need to support one another. My 91 year old neighbour phoned me yesterday to check that I was ok!
I read things to her over the phone as she is blind and this helps her keep in touch with everyone around her. she is very good company and I miss our regular coffee visits

Direne3 Sat 23-May-20 11:14:08

In the current situation it is more important than ever to remember that 'no man (or woman) is an island'.

cryssy Sat 23-May-20 10:56:32

Very important so that people do not feel alone or that they have nobody to turn to when they hit a problem. Humans are social creatures that need to feel loved and important to others. People that live alone are especially vulnerable, particularly during this crisis and even just a phone call can do wonders to lift spirits and take away worries.

2ophie Sat 23-May-20 10:50:28

I think it's incredibly important to keep connected with everyone, not just family and friends but people in the community. Especially in the hard times we are going through now. We all need to understand that everyone is going through the same thing, so helping someone's mindset is very important - even just a friendly face could make someone's day - posting a card to let them know you're there if you need them - give them your phone number so they can contact whenever they feel lonely or need a good chat.
Stay safe everyone.

goglyeyes Sat 23-May-20 10:16:33

Humans are social beings. Even the most introverted of us need to know we're not completely isolated and trapped. It's so so important to stay connected to others. And thannks to technology, it's much easier these days!

pluckypuddin Sat 23-May-20 10:03:04

I think it's incredibly important. Not only because of things like our current situation but in terms of combating loneliness and mental health, support for people who might not have family locally. I wish there was more community spirit where I live but I'm not really sure how to start it. I'm certain that everyone, regardless of age has something to offer. I also think if you feel like part of a community, it would have a positive effect on crime, vandalism etc.

linzi686 Sat 23-May-20 09:54:44

It's very important for everyones mental health and well-being to feel connected and that we are all as important as one another.

star100 Sat 23-May-20 09:45:55

Very important, otherwise it leads to loneliness and mental health issues. It's important talk to those around us regardless of age, keeping in touch when we can whether it be over the phone, in a letter or face to face (as much as we can in these times).

Jeanetteleighton1979 Sat 23-May-20 09:42:55

It's very important, everybody matters and its upto the younger generation to look after and include the older ones , we all need to support each other

crosscat12 Sat 23-May-20 09:35:56

I am 69 years old and have seen the community disintegrate over the years. In 2 short months coronavius has brought back what has been lost and more I hope it continues for everyones sake

angelfaced Sat 23-May-20 09:23:23

It is so important for us to feel connected as it is devestating to our mental health when we aren't. The only saving grace right now in this Coronavirus is the fact that neighbours and family are coming together and communities too. I hope this stays this way when this is all over. Photo of flowers i got from a neighbour.

conkers Sat 23-May-20 09:21:48

As families are so scattered around the country and countries, community is vital. On my morning exercise walk I smile and say good morning to everyone I see. This has blossomed into short self distance conversations that lift my spirits and give me reason to smile

Ciji Sat 23-May-20 09:10:17

Since lockdown people of all ages have been sharing their skills through the internet. The youngsters of today are learning how to knit and crochet and learning about war years and the senior society in turn are learning how to use the internet and have fun. Its an important lesson that everyone can help each other in different ways by listening, which they have done. Our community has thrived since lockdown. We've started a community group, met the neighbours on thurdays who usually work away and supported the families who have caught the virus.

chloepollitt Sat 23-May-20 09:07:15

It’s very important that people of all ages feel connected and involved in our community. It’s important that we learn to support one another, interact, share experiences and life struggles. Especially in this time of pandemic, we must all stick together and help others as much as we possibly can.
Having this open bond with others is what builds valuable relationships, and gives us a deeper sense of belonging. Communities are also rich in resources. Your strengths may be someone else's weaknesses and vice versa. smile

nsjlklhr21 Sat 23-May-20 09:06:10

Community is so important to everyone, young mums may need support, older people may long for company and supportive caring neighbours you can rely on to help in a crisis or just a friendly chat.

StephC Sat 23-May-20 08:52:00

I think it's very important because it gives family a sense of belonging and continuity. Who else can give you a sense of yourself, with all of the history, knowledge and wisdom that the older generation pass down to us?

haltyballa Sat 23-May-20 08:45:53

When it comes to the community it doesn't matter who you are are what age, it's the combination of everyone around you with each person's own skill or experience that when joined together makes a great spirit and happy place to be in. One person's actions will lift another person no matter how small it may be, it's what brings people together

ikkle87 Sat 23-May-20 08:41:47

I think it’s very important because home isn’t just about the physical house you live in but your neighbours and the area too. If you don’t like or feel connected to the community or your neighbours it affects how you feel about the physical space you live in.

kaydeed Sat 23-May-20 08:38:12

I think it is very important. Being around other people and being sociable is good to combat loneliness and is good for your mental well being.

Samparkes Sat 23-May-20 08:15:16

In these uncertain difficult times it's more important than ever for people to feel connected for our own mental health. Just reaching out and talking to someone can make such a big difference to their life. No one should feel lonely

collif Sat 23-May-20 08:15:16

It's extremely important . If you dont feel connected often you may get feelings of loneliness or isolation . In these current times it's more important than ever because we need to help each other more than ever .

defineme Sat 23-May-20 08:10:42

It's vital, I love that our road now has a WhatsApp group and my local Facebook pages are a much more positive place to be.

cathyov Sat 23-May-20 08:01:15

Being part of your community is very important for all; it is something we can share and the older generation can bring their wisdom and experience and the younger generation their energy and enthusiasm so that together we can make the most of our neighbourhood.
These last couple of months has slowed the world down and reminded us we do have time for each other and these relationships are important and working together will be the best way forward.

Vecta2 Sat 23-May-20 08:00:52

Nowadays many people of all ages live alone and away from their immediate family. Being connected to their local community allows them to feel part of something and provides them with a network of friends and support