Gransnet forums

Competitions

Harrington’s baby gowns.

(39 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sat 30-May-20 17:45:20

My children as babies wore little Harrington’s gowns for the first few weeks of their life.
Soft brushed cotton and easy access to the nappy!!
My daughter is expecting number 2 in July and I would like to find her some.
Any ideas as to where I can get them?

BBbevan Sat 08-Aug-20 04:20:15

Does anyone remember the flannel jackets for wearing over the nighties ? They were an ecru colour and you embroidered them and blanket stitched the edges. I had several for my DD born in 1965, but couldn't find any for DS in 1971 .

ElaineI Sat 08-Aug-20 00:02:02

I used them on all 3 but they are very old fashioned now and would definitely ask first before buying.

maddyone Sat 08-Aug-20 00:01:42

My sister gave me some of those nighties secondhand, and I used them with my firstborn at night. I didn’t bother with them for the next two, just used babygros.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 23:30:18

My grandparents purchased some for my eldest child. They were lovely.

The next two children had babygros which I must say I do prefer

purpleXena Fri 07-Aug-20 23:25:00

Touched by Nature Fox Size 3-Pack Organic Cotton Gowns in Beige my daughter was bought similar to these in organic cotton from Amazon.co.uk. price about £ 12\13 for 3. They are beautiful.

Missfoodlove Sun 31-May-20 18:01:45

narg, Thank you JL are out of stock but will email me when stock arrives.
I found a couple for my granddaughter but my daughter used them to death and threw them away, hence me searching for more. She far prefers them to babygro.

narg Sun 31-May-20 15:01:45

JL have some.They are called baby bundlers. They have elastic at the bottom which is not tight.Both sets of my great grandchildren have worn them . They are lovely and do not ride up. They are so much easier to use at night when matching poppers seems so difficult ! My grandaughters loved them and asked me to buy them.

mcem Sun 31-May-20 14:50:28

The last baby in our family to use these pretty but impractical gowns is now 42!
My son (1986) was in babygrows right away. Not one DGC (from 21 down to 1) wore gowns.
I sincerely believe you 'd be better spending money on something practical that would actually be used!

Callistemon Sun 31-May-20 14:34:55

If it's going to be a hot summer, shaped vests with poppers are very useful. They're cooler than a baby gro but keep them together iyswim

GrannyLaine Sun 31-May-20 13:55:43

When I had my first baby , Babygro had only just started producing their sleep suits - I still have an original. I did have a couple of the nighties but actually found them a pain. They crease and ruck up and have to be ironed. Lovely to look at folded in a drawer though. Give me babygros for new babies any day.
Good advice to check with your daughter Missfoodlove. As my daughters are fond of reminding me distance lends enchantment and its a fair point.

trisher Sun 31-May-20 13:51:50

I had a couple. Never used them because of the getting over the head problem. Baby grows popper down the front so can be removed easily. For those nighties you need to sit the baby up while you lift the back forwards over their head or lift the front over their face. Nightmare if the nappy has leaked.

dizzyblonde Sun 31-May-20 13:35:21

My Mum bought me some when I had my daughter. I did try and use them but found them a nightmare to get on over her head. Once Mum had gone home I never used them again. Babygro for the first few weeks which were much easier to insert baby into and then a sleeping bag which opened at the bottom so easy to change night nappies on the very odd occasion I had to do a middle of the night change.

ninathenana Sun 31-May-20 13:12:59

Mine lived in baby grows for the first 9 mths or so unless we were leaving the house. There are some really cute ones available.
I'm pretty sure my daughter wouldn't use these.

Grannynannywanny Sun 31-May-20 13:04:57

Good point Vegansrock.

I did use them in the 70’s for my firstborn but didn’t find any advantage. A nappy leak still gets them!

I remember at antenatal class being given a very specific shopping list which I followed to the letter. It included very cute little newborn vests which were crossover style with fine ribbon ties. I can feel the frustration now 42 years later of trying to untie tiny knots while baby wriggled and screamed. I had to snip the ribbon open on a few of them.

By 2 weeks I had moved on to envelope neck vests and babygros and found it so much easier to get on and off. Also it felt so much more secure handling a tiny baby in a babygro than a gown.

vegansrock Sun 31-May-20 12:48:22

I wonder if they would be considered unsafe these days? - anything that could ride up over the head or with ties or ribbons is frowned upon.

Calendargirl Sun 31-May-20 12:29:27

Why is this on the Competitions thread? I tuned in thinking it was to win a posh baby gown!

JackyB Sun 31-May-20 10:58:10

Mine had normal Babygro's and rompers. They had very soft stools and it always leaked and required a complete change of wardrobe every time - so a gown wouldn't have been any advantage. My DS and DiL had their baby in the US just before Christmas. They swaddle them there. It looks horrible - like a straight jacket. And far more fuss to change.

Grannynannywanny Sun 31-May-20 10:31:45

Did anyone else do the same as me with the envelope neck vests and remove them the same way as they went on ie over the head?

I saw a discussion on them a few years ago and a demo video attached which was a revelation to me! Apparently they are designed so that if you unfold the shoulders the vest can be removed downwards over the baby’s body and over the feet.

2 kids, 4 grandkids and that gem escaped me. Trying to roll up all those poo plastered vests after a nappy leak to safely get them over their little heads and it wasn’t necessary

emmasnan Sun 31-May-20 07:44:44

My son's had them in the early 80's. So much easier for changing nappies in the night when I was half asleep!
Think they had tiny rabbits embroidered on the yoke.

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 23:08:14

Oh yes, it’s all coming back now. So many years ago ....

Katek Sat 30-May-20 23:04:46

Just remembered - you could also buy teeny vests in sizes-from 10” upwards! Started off with the wrap round vest with side ties and then moved into envelope neck vests

Katek Sat 30-May-20 23:01:09

All of mine were in gowns for the first 6 weeks with hand knitted jackets and bootees. At 6 weeks they were ‘shortened’ by putting them into tiny frocks or romper suits. Does anyone else remember this tradition of ‘shortening’? Was it a Scottish custom.?

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 22:57:26

Yes i got mine in Mothercare too. Still have them as my daughter didn’t want them.

Puzzler61 Sat 30-May-20 22:51:14

Our 2 baby girls had them in the 80’s, embroidered across the chest and they tied at the back. They were from Mothercare. I’m not sure young mums would favour them now as they have a lot more choice of sleeping sacs and babygro’s.

Callistemon Sat 30-May-20 22:28:22

I called them nighties and they were made by Viyella.

No. 2 arrived in 1976 and they were far too hot, all he wore was an envelope-neck cotton vest and nappy.
I liked Babygros, so easy to put on and to change nappies.

Small babies did look very sweet in those nighties, although I would ask your DD first before spending money.