Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(683 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

Maria59 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:52:21

The body farm by Patricia Cornwell

muse Thu 19-Aug-21 08:02:35

Triptych (Karin Slaughter).
All the characters are great but I got totally hooked onto the character Will Trent. The tension builds and builds. Even though it’s gruesome in parts (which I normally find hard to cope with) I couldn’t put the book down.

After that I bought every Will Trent book she wrote. Brilliant.

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Aug-21 20:59:03

No close date on this competition.
My favourite thrillers include Rebus.

ranorman45 Sun 18-Jul-21 20:30:59

How did I miss this competition! And such a brilliant prize fromy favorite crime writer as well,I love her books and have been known to re read them as well,think that I like Blindsighted and Broken the best!

Annamaria0 Thu 15-Jul-21 22:44:40

My favourite crime series is Susie Steiner’s trilogy. The main character, Manon Bradshaw, is very relatable - a clever, but ordinary woman, who leads a normal life. The plots are great without focussing on violence, too.

julietk Sun 16-May-21 09:38:10

Love thrillers as they are so engrossing. My favourite is probably KILL THE MESSENGER by Tami Hoag

Mandee Thu 13-May-21 22:45:32

I literally could not put down Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins! I was hooked from start to finish so much going on!

ItsGreatBeingAGran Thu 13-May-21 20:53:16

Has to be The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, it was one of those can't put it down books, gripping from start to finish and kept me interested till the end.

I was with my partner at our local book exchange today, he enjoys books of a different genre entirely, however he was looking for a new book to read and to help him decide whether he had read it before, he started to read the last few pages of the book, what's that about, surely that ruins it entirely. How have I lived with this man for nearly 25 years and only discovered this now lol.

shaddai88 Thu 13-May-21 17:50:56

I like books by Shalini Boland.The gripping, and highly charged account of events is brilliant!!

HannahLI Thu 13-May-21 16:54:12

Ooh I loved I am pilgrim I liked the combination of not knowing what was happening next and having to keep turning the pages vs the crime aspect!

LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-May-21 11:54:52

Thanks to everyone who shared their favourite crime/thriller book on this discussion thread. The winner of the prize draw is @Kittyme1 - congratulations! smile

robi1 Thu 13-May-21 11:33:01

First of all may i say what a fab prize draw, and i wish to nominate my wonderful wife into this draw,as she is a total crime bookworm,and her 2 fav authors are LEE CHILD and IAN RANKIN,She has got every book they have ever written,and we have just cel our 31st weddin anniv,and ever since we got together i have carried on and bought her every new book that comes out of theirs,i have already pre ordered LEE CHILD's new book that is due to come out in Oct.the only thing that she was'nt happy with is who the film company chose to do the roll as Jack Reacher -Tom Cruise was a def no no,even Lee Child himself said Tom wasnt right for the part.if i'm the very lucky winner, then i think that my wife will prob buy more book shelves out of the voucher for me to put up,ready for the next load of new books. ? , PS PLEASE EVERY1 STAY SAFE AND WELL ??

MaggieMay69 Thu 13-May-21 11:26:32

I do love anything by Stephen King!My daughter does too, and she even named HER Daughter after one of his more famous films! Carrie! x Love a bit of a scare now and then, reminds me I'm alive! lol

Archos Thu 13-May-21 10:06:27

Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins was a recent favourite. Crime thrillers can give insights into other people's lives and what makes them do extreme things.

athenacarina Thu 13-May-21 09:52:38

I've yet to start reading Sarah Pearse's 'The Sanatorium', but was drawn to it because it seems akin to 'The Shining'. I love edge of the seat reading, viewing, and hearing too. Love audio books but not bought any in a good while.

chris8888 Thu 13-May-21 09:49:35

I like reading thrillers but not if they are too violent, I find Martine Cole books are too much.

gpstarlight99 Thu 13-May-21 09:31:12

To Keep You Safe by Kate Bradley - I love a thriller with twists & turns, the suspense kept me up half the night reading it.

8mhigh Thu 13-May-21 09:10:41

While I enjoy the puzzle solving in crime thrillers, I find some gory or cruel stories can leave you feeling like you need a shower. Observing a slice of life (no pun intended) can tip into sadistic voyeurism. So I appreciated Richard Osman's civilisedThursday Murder Club.

DAD1 Thu 13-May-21 09:10:41

My favourite thriller books are Stephen King (The Shining,Pet Cemetery,Carrie etc...)The books are amazing,lovely imagery,immaculately crafted work of fiction.They are truly addicting novels to read.You never know what is going to happen on next page.The books will keep you guessing until the end.Brilliant masterpieces of writing.

SarahKnightley Thu 13-May-21 08:56:40

I love the Shardlake novels which are historical crime thrillers. It is such a good series of books. I love a good crime novel because they keep you guessing right to the end, and it’s great to be surprised by a twist at the end.

joysutty Thu 13-May-21 08:54:26

I look a good old thriller either a book to read or series or a one-off on the television, and found an author who had not heard about before called FAITH MARTIN and she is really good.

gardenbirds1 Thu 13-May-21 08:01:42

I enjoy historial crime C. J. Sansom as they take you out of the modern world and because I live in York I know exactly where certain scenes are set. I do like Lee Child, John Grisham and many other crime writers not really read many thrillers because I get scared too easily.

willowcott Thu 13-May-21 06:42:07

Love A Place of Execution by Val McDermid, set in Derbyshire and a very clever plot. It was the first of her books I read.
Enjoy crime books for their interesting stories, wealth of information and their ability to often keep you guessing til the end.

Blainey Thu 13-May-21 06:30:25

Love the lighter side of a good crime book! Have been reading The Thursday murder club by Richard Osman which is really good

Sspeedy18 Thu 13-May-21 06:19:44

The Black House by Peter May.
I love when you don’t know what is going to happen next & it is not what you expected!