Gransnet forums

Discount codes/offers

Family tree

(13 Posts)
annie1948 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:03:14

Have you been traced by a family member or have you traced family, and how did it turn out,any disappointments any surprises , did you keep in touch?

paddyann Sun 17-Feb-19 16:43:45

Got in touch with a cousin I didn't know existed and through her my two Aunts who we'd lost touch with 50 years ago or more .We keep in touch and I visited the aunties within months of finding them.Now keep in touch with multiple other cousins and we all get on very well .Sadly one of my Aunts died last year so I was very glad we got to meet before it was too late .

annie1948 Wed 20-Feb-19 12:16:41

Paddyann
Thanks for replying!
My reason for asking , I have found my fathers family and a half sister much younger than me, some relations keep in close touch and some after initial interest fade away, but it was a worthwhile excercise, tied up a lot of loose ends!!

paulsmithh24 Thu 03-Oct-19 11:55:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jessity Thu 03-Oct-19 12:15:34

Reported

BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Oct-19 13:01:35

When I was doing my family tree, I discovered my grandad was a twin, something I had never, ever heard mentioned in the family.

When I saw he had lived within 100 miles of me right up until 1976 (meaning I could easily have met him and his family had they been willing) I was so disappointed.

Chestnut Thu 03-Oct-19 13:08:23

BradfordLass72 - I managed to trace my previously unknown grandfather who had died in 1940 (in Bradford, Yorkshire!) and discovered he had a daughter who would have been my dad's sister (and my auntie). How sad that she died in the 1980s and my dad and I never got to meet her. I agree it's a huge disappointment when your hopes are raised but then dashed.

Loislovesstewie Thu 03-Oct-19 13:08:24

I found out that many years ago I lived very close to a great aunt, sadly she has died in the interim . I would have liked to have met her as I know no-one who is related to my grandmother , i.e her sisters , brothers . I wasn't born in that area so it was a huge coincidence that I lived about 2 streets away.

vena11 Thu 03-Oct-19 15:29:55

My mother was fostered, she found her family when she was sixty and found out they never knew she existed, unfortunately her mother had died just after she put her into care, my mother had been looking for her for most of her life. She found uncles aunties and cousin that she kept in touch with until she died.

Chestnut Thu 03-Oct-19 16:18:38

Venall, what a very bitter disappointment if she had been looking for her mother until she was 60 only to find she died all those years ago. A very sad story and I have sympathy. Just a little 'silver lining' there that she found the other relatives.

vena11 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:12:24

Yes chestnut it was very sad but she found out about her from the family and that helped.

Cabbie21 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:42:52

Since my mother died I have done a lot of Family History. She did not know her natural parents as they both died when she was young, but I have found she had relatives, mostly aunts and cousins, who lived just a few miles away. Sadly it is too late now. Then I wonder if they would have had anything in common after all.

Chestnut Thu 03-Oct-19 23:39:17

Cabbie21, if you watch Long Lost Family (with a box of tissues handy) the relatives often feel a connection or bond when they meet up. It may be too late for your mother but maybe you can find that bond with one or more of them, after all they are your relatives too. About 20 years ago I found a third cousin through doing family history and we became so close, she was like a sister to me (sadly deceased now).