Gransnet forums

Discount codes/offers

Family days out that won’t break the bank

(9 Posts)
Nanaelaineb Thu 16-Jul-20 15:57:54

Hi I’m having my 5 grandkids 2 days a week in the holidays and the y age from 4-15 any ideas? We live in the north east of England

Ellianne Thu 16-Jul-20 16:25:16

The beach
The woods
The hills
Bike rides
Nature trails
Picnics outside
Tent in the garden

Just be inventive

Riverwalk Thu 16-Jul-20 16:33:33

In London the major museums are opening, I assume it's the same around the UK.

Usually during school holidays, half-term etc. the queues and crowds are horrendous but in these special times you now have to book a time slot, which suits me down to the ground.

Your GC are of such varying ages I doubt you'll find activities that suit them all, at all times! A family picnic would be do-able.

MrsJamJam Thu 16-Jul-20 19:24:33

One half term grandkids spent several days planning a picnic, writing the menu, writing a shopping list for required supplies, doing that shopping, baking a cake (battenburg! their choice!), making sandwiches, packing everything up including tablecloth and napkins, and then we drove them to the spot they chose. All very memorable and honestly if we had eaten it in the back garden that would have been fine, it was the planning and preparation they still remember. Eldest was 13 at the time.

Making an obstacle course in the garden, then organising the Olympics is also fun.

Lucca Thu 16-Jul-20 19:29:15

Could you do an overnight camp trip ?
A boat trip at sea houses if operating?
Just a mad thought could they learn to paint a room ? Or the garden shed ?
Is beamish open ?

manuellena Fri 20-Nov-20 13:50:35

Honestly, anything that is outdoors right now. We love going for a walk and grabbing a coffee.

Daddima Fri 20-Nov-20 14:08:10

As this was in July, I imagine nanaelaineb managed to entertain her charges!

MrJones Tue 08-Aug-23 12:24:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Aldom Tue 08-Aug-23 12:48:32

This thread is three years old folks.