Gransnet forums

Food

Deep fried jacket potatoes!!!!

(21 Posts)
susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 15:56:58

My Slimming World consultant told me that my jacket potato in Wetherspoons had probably been deep fried and that many food outlets were using these factory produced deep fried then frozen jackets. How Horrible!! Beware if like me you choose a jacket pot rather than chips for the sake of your dietshock
PS Am checking with Wetherspoons HQ - no reply yet.

Jacey Thu 20-Oct-11 17:22:10

Does that include the places that display the 'already to eat' jackets in a little glass case above the oven?

Must admit i've had the odd jacket that seems to have an oily skin ...but naively thought that was the melted butter confused

gangy5 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:18:42

Sounds alot of twat to me unless some new cooking method for jacket potatoes has just been invented!! Deep frying large potatoes doesn't sound possible to me and would definitely be uneconmical from the fuel point of view. It would be interesting though to find out if this is really true. If so we can all avoid jacket potatoes in Wetherspoons.

jogginggirl Thu 20-Oct-11 21:26:41

susiecb my S/W consultant told us the same. They deep fry and then freeze them ..............then take them out when they need them............that's what I heard anyway..........confused

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 22:27:58

Apparently there was an urban legen going round that they not only deep-fry them but inject them with fat too!

Doesn't sound cost effective to me - and I think I would recognise a potato that has been deep-fried. It would be nothing like an oven-baked potato. I'm ready to believe that they get them in ready-baked, though.

It is more likely that there is a lot of fat in the butter put on them, and in the filling. i should think that if you checked that the description said "baked" and that you chose a less fatty filling and no butter you would be OK (but I don't fancy a baked spud with no butter)

Wetherspoon's own calories counter site lists the values. Subtract the butter and filling values from the total, do you get the same calories as you would from a home-baked spud? I've not tried so can't comment.

glassortwo Thu 20-Oct-11 22:51:32

Did you know that supermarkets use flour to bags of grated cheese to stop it sticking together.

susiecb Fri 21-Oct-11 08:22:32

Still no reply from Wetherspoons. One of our members asked in our local one and they said they dont do it but the the consulatnt insisted that SW HQ got it from Wetherspoons HQ. If its true not only is it revolting (I dont have any filling or butter just a steak and green salad) but contravening Trading Standards as the menu list it as a healthy choice. SW website makes no mention of it and recommends it as a meal when eating out in a pub. I think if I have the time I might take both these giants onangry.

bagitha Fri 21-Oct-11 09:20:30

I knew about the anti-stick device in bags of grated cheese. I used to buy it for our hens. I read the packet and it did say something, though I forget what. Anyway, there was no decepton on the part of the producer.

Besides, you can see it and feel it!

bikergran Fri 21-Oct-11 09:48:56

I have bought the ready baked jacket pots from our Morrisons..theya re in the freezer department..I must say they were fine..but I didnt really read the packet..I just plonked it in the microwave hmm!

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 10:04:48

The slimming World website forum has about 3 references to DF BP. Opinion seems divided. Trading standards could find this interesting.

bagitha Fri 21-Oct-11 10:27:37

I usually rub salt and goose fat on raw potatoes before I bake them. Tastes yummy.

absentgrana Fri 21-Oct-11 12:47:04

If a menu says "jacket potato", it doesn't have to be baked – just not peeled. If it says "baked potato", then it is an offence to serve it cooked any way other than baked.

gangy5 Thu 03-Nov-11 11:28:57

susiecb have you heard anything from Wetherspoons about the potatoes yet? I think this a very interesting subject as it goes to show how big business attempts to pull the wool over our eyes! Marketing in the food industry now relies on how these statements are worded. absentgrana has got this one licked. jacket potato on the menu doesn't mean that it's seen an oven!

susiecb Thu 03-Nov-11 12:10:31

Yes I have had a very good letter from Wetherspoons. I would like to copy it here but somehow it didn't scan here is a section.

'I would like to assure you the the jacket potatoes are not subjected to any flavour or nutritional enhancement prior to service, neither are they deep fried at any stage'.

They go on to say how they are cooked in ovens or microwaves then they say

'Please be assured that a plain jacket potato without butter or cream would be considered Free on a Slimming World Green or Extra Easy Day or as a Healthy Extra on an Original Day'.

It was an excellent and helpful response.

gangy5 Thu 03-Nov-11 21:36:01

Well done susiecb for questioning this. It was good also to get a satisfactory reply.

jogginggirl Thu 03-Nov-11 22:25:11

Hey well done susieb - I will be passing on the good news to my s/w consultant..........thanks

susiecb Fri 04-Nov-11 08:09:14

Do you know I dont understand these diet club consultants dont they ever check their sources they peddle all sorts of myths. I once heard one say if you didnt eat protein you would lose muscle and as the heart is a muscle you would die!!! I suppose because I used to do research it was drummed into me- always check your sources and in the case iof a diet your sauces I suppose.

jogginggirl Fri 04-Nov-11 08:22:03

Oh susieb it wasn't the consultant who gave the information - just one of the members and it wasn't presented as a firm fact - just a query? But now, thanks to you, it's cleared up!

askingforafriend Fri 10-Nov-17 13:02:09

Hiya, i worked in the kitchen of various weather spoons for around 3 years and they have never fried a jacket potato. They have a 'Merry chef Mealstream' an industrial strength oven which they will cook a potato in. Rest assured you can still order your normal jacket potato.

KatyK Fri 10-Nov-17 20:05:21

I have had a jacket potato in Wetherspoons. I'm sure it wasn't deep fried. They have the calories of each item on the menu.

M0nica Sat 11-Nov-17 17:22:53

It is a myth. Here is the link to Weatherspoon's response. There are also several official SW sites saying this is untrue

www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/336292297148660324/