Gransnet forums

Food

Food for staying well & looking good - live webchat with Linda Doeser 11 January 1-2pm

(112 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Dec-11 11:48:37

As we grow older our dietary needs change just as our lives change with our grown-up children leaving home, retirement, possibly a less active life and various health problems etc.

It is - of course - all too easy to become fixed in our ways and not give any thought to what we're eating and whether it might be a good idea to make a few small changes to the menus we've cooked over many years.

But are the odd touch of indigestion, bloating, feeling and looking tired, poor sleep, middle-age spread, aching joints, constipation and muddled thinking the inevitable outcomes of advancing years? <<has little worry about familiarity of many of those symptoms and sincerely hopes not...>>

While we can’t turn the clock back the good news is that a few simple changes CAN help to make our retirement years as healthy and rewarding as possible. And - says cookery writer Linda Doeser - what we eat can make all the difference between 'passive decline' and a fitter and brighter third age.

Linda started her career on the partwork Supercook in the 1970s and published her first book a couple of years later. Since then she has written so many cookbooks that she has lost track. She has an abiding interest in healthy eating and nutrition combined with appetizing meals and is currently working on a project about how dietary needs change with the different stages of life. She is also a gran.

Add your questions for her here

granIT Thu 05-Jan-12 16:33:13

My brother and SIL have been on the Dukan diet and to be fair, they have lost a lot of weight - but I don't fancy it because a) I don't trust quack diets and b) I've read it makes you flatulent (that again!) and your breath smell and doesn't feed your brain, whatever that means.

So, my question is - what is the best way of losing weight if you don't have all those rules to follow about eating bran pancakes for breakfast and no vegetables for month and no carbohydrate ever?

Thanks - needing to lose about a stone.

crimson Thu 05-Jan-12 17:21:30

I did a high protein diet in my teens; lost loads of weight, but my breath smelt [I wasn't drinking enough water] and I think I'm lucky not to have permanently damaged myself in some way. It was in the Twiggy era when everyone had to be skinny. I fear that that 'skinnyness' is huge compared to todays standards. Glad I'm not that young again.

crimson Thu 05-Jan-12 17:25:53

beeble; I think we all stretch our stomachs at this time of year so they need more filling. We also, probably forget to drink water, because it doesn't seem hot [as in summery hot], but we probably ned to drink as much because of central heating etc. Thirst can make you feel hungry. Sipping water throughout the day can help. Am now going to take my own advice!

GoldenGran Thu 05-Jan-12 17:26:38

granlT I am a work in progress, as far as weight loss is concerned and I seem to have been on a diet for years, but have never lost any significant amoun of weight, so I am no expert. But having tried every fad diet going from Atkins to Cabbage soup diet, I really believe the only way is counting calories(or points as in weightWatchers), and lower fat intake, but most of all smaller portions. Will let you know if I can keep it up, will be logging in to the Monday weigh in on Gransnet which is starting up again next week.Good luck whatever you do.

grannygrunt Thu 05-Jan-12 18:17:44

My husband has emphysema and heart problems so keeping to a tasty. healthy diet is really quite difficult.
Can you suggest any recipes that are really low or no salt, low fat, and not too many calories!?
I have tried adding herbs and spices to add some flavour, but I am not keen on too much of this, so this restricts me too.

jingl Fri 06-Jan-12 09:51:10

May I ask another question, please?

I am starting to believe that eating too much fatty and/or sugary foods makes me feel low, about two or three hours after eating it. It even lasts over into the next morning.

I don't think this is simply guilt about eating the wrong foods. I think it is something physiological happening. Do you think this is right? It's so hard to stay off the bad stuff, like icecream, in the evenings. Especially when it's left over from Christmas and you feel bad about throwing it all away.

gracesmum Fri 06-Jan-12 21:27:20

I think that is to do with blood sugar (?) jingl - you get a high from the fat/sugar and then it plummets a few hours later. Have you tried the GI diet? - alas, no good looking young US servicemen feature in it, but it is to do with the Glycaemic Index and which foods keep you feeling full longer. You know how they say you always feel hungry after a Chinese meal or takeaway? Same principle I think.

Faye Fri 06-Jan-12 22:11:40

I think it is to do with your ph levels jingl. Since I read about ph levels when we were discussing arthritis months ago on GN I have watched very carefully what I eat. If I eat anything acidic I immediately get heartburn then later I have pain in my hands and if I am eating too much acidic food the souls of my feet start to hurt. If I eat food that is alkaline I am fine, no arthritic pain and no heartburn.
www.balance-ph-diet.com/acidosis_symptom.html

jingl Fri 06-Jan-12 22:59:07

Well, I've just downloaded a couple of GI Foods/diet books to my kindle. The two of them together only cost a fiver, so I will have read. Ta GM.

jingl Fri 06-Jan-12 23:00:58

Thank you also Faye. I do get acid indigestion and take omeprazole (from the doc). So will keep an eye on that side of things. smile

jingl Fri 06-Jan-12 23:04:09

I will go to bed and read my nice new books now. smile

So long as my battery's not gone flat.

marcellamc Sun 08-Jan-12 08:29:33

I really need some help with breakfast! I don't like milk (don't mind yogurt) and am struggling to find something relatively low calorie that will keep me full til lunchtime. I know porridge is the obvious answer but I don't care for the texture (too mushy) even if it's made with water. Please help

jeni Sun 08-Jan-12 18:20:34

Cani please ask about zero cal meals for one that are at the same time nutritious, filling and prepare themselves?

Annobel Sun 08-Jan-12 19:06:00

You can ask... grin

getmehrt Tue 10-Jan-12 16:01:15

The trouble with trying to lose weight and be healthy after Christmas is that it all feels so penitential. I feel I am too old to be on a diet that gives me no pleasure. Could you possibly suggest some recipes - or point us in the direction of some - that taste delicious and that aren't the equivalent of wearing a hair shirt.

pudding Wed 11-Jan-12 09:34:48

Is it true that you need to eat different foods after the menopause than before? If so, how should your diet change?

effblinder Wed 11-Jan-12 10:31:43

do you have any tips for losing weight when the people around you are just not interested/have a very low tolerance for cutting down? My willpower always breaks when OH or some other family member complains about a particularly low fat meal as I hate disappointing people.

clocktowergal Wed 11-Jan-12 11:31:34

I do try and do more excercise (I try, I really do!) but what sort of food should I be eating/making to give myself more energy for when I do classes or go for a long walk?

Dropstitch Wed 11-Jan-12 11:31:53

Hi Linda

I'm looking to supplement my diet with more foods containing tryptophan to improve my sleep pattern. Is it better to consume these later in the day generally, ie how quickly can they work?.

thanks!

Wonkycross Wed 11-Jan-12 11:33:10

Hi Linda,

Recently a lot more supermarkets have started stocking granola. Is this actually any healthier than cereal like porridge, muesli or is it just a food fad? Thanks!

WanderingRider Wed 11-Jan-12 11:58:15

What tips do you have to stop me snacking between meals? I'm a complete chocoholic and just can't say no...

crumblygranny Wed 11-Jan-12 12:17:58

Hiya

My friend (71) has lost her sense of smell, and I think taste. As such she's gone right off food, and only really eats chocolate (understandable)! She seems well enough (although heartburn) and is not too thin. Should I worry or are there any ways of encouraging her taste to return?

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 12:33:39

CariGransnet

As we grow older our dietary needs change just as our lives change with our grown-up children leaving home, retirement, possibly a less active life and various health problems etc.

It is - of course - all too easy to become fixed in our ways and not give any thought to what we're eating and whether it might be a good idea to make a few small changes to the menus we've cooked over many years.

But are the odd touch of indigestion, bloating, feeling and looking tired, poor sleep, middle-age spread, aching joints, constipation and muddled thinking the inevitable outcomes of advancing years? <<has little worry about familiarity of many of those symptoms and sincerely hopes not...>>

While we can’t turn the clock back the good news is that a few simple changes CAN help to make our retirement years as healthy and rewarding as possible. And - says cookery writer Linda Doeser - what we eat can make all the difference between 'passive decline' and a fitter and brighter third age.

Linda started her career on the partwork Supercook in the 1970s and published her first book a couple of years later. Since then she has written so many cookbooks that she has lost track. She has an abiding interest in healthy eating and nutrition combined with appetizing meals and is currently working on a project about how dietary needs change with the different stages of life. She is also a gran.

Add your questions for her here

test

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jan-12 12:59:48

Linda's here - we're absolutely delighted to welcome her to GNHQ. She's been telling us about the vast range of cookery books she's been responsible for, so here we go....

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 13:03:20

helshea

Should we actually eat less as we get older - I still don't understand why when I was 18 I could cut down on food and easily lose weight, but now I can't lose an ounce - I also feel I am as active if not more so than I was then?

Hello helshea Our metabolism tends to slow down and so too does our digestive system as we get older. However, if you are happy with your current weight and level of activity, then why change your diet? It is worth bearing in mind that weight gain is quite insidious, so if your waistband does start to feel a little bit tight, then maybe that's the time to start reducing the size of portions. As for doing things at 18 that we can't do now, well…