Gransnet forums

Food

Food for staying well & looking good - live webchat with Linda Doeser 11 January 1-2pm

(112 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Dec-11 11:48:37

As we grow older our dietary needs change just as our lives change with our grown-up children leaving home, retirement, possibly a less active life and various health problems etc.

It is - of course - all too easy to become fixed in our ways and not give any thought to what we're eating and whether it might be a good idea to make a few small changes to the menus we've cooked over many years.

But are the odd touch of indigestion, bloating, feeling and looking tired, poor sleep, middle-age spread, aching joints, constipation and muddled thinking the inevitable outcomes of advancing years? <<has little worry about familiarity of many of those symptoms and sincerely hopes not...>>

While we can’t turn the clock back the good news is that a few simple changes CAN help to make our retirement years as healthy and rewarding as possible. And - says cookery writer Linda Doeser - what we eat can make all the difference between 'passive decline' and a fitter and brighter third age.

Linda started her career on the partwork Supercook in the 1970s and published her first book a couple of years later. Since then she has written so many cookbooks that she has lost track. She has an abiding interest in healthy eating and nutrition combined with appetizing meals and is currently working on a project about how dietary needs change with the different stages of life. She is also a gran.

Add your questions for her here

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:53:15

Where? Soton formine

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:49:56

jeni My dd has got a degree in chemistry too! Fancy that! We're the same. smile

I will ask her.

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:47:41

Sorry that should be fourty years.

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:46:50

jingl this is biochemistry which I havn't studied for over fourth years! You need dd for this. She has a degree in chemistry and reckons she knows much more than me about everything!

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:37:02

Well........ not completely.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:36:28

Oh! She already has!

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:36:04

I don't understand how the carbohydrate directs the other amino acids to body cells while letting the tryptophan go to the brain.

Perhaps jeni can tell us. smile

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:35:47

jingl probably something to do with the blood brain barrier.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:32:17

jess, not sure I understand why tryptophan can go straight to the brain while the other amino acids in protein go into other body cells. But at least we know now that eating a piece of turkey at bedtime will not work as well as eating a turkey sandwich.

I guess that's enough.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:23:32

jeni!!! shock

JessM Wed 11-Jan-12 15:10:22

mmm didn't understand that bit, or carbs "clear the pathways"... hmm did anyone else?

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 14:44:24

jingl you mean you admit to not knowing everything!,shock

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 14:13:31

Really interesting, that was. smile

(didn't know about eating carbs to "direct" the tryptophan to your brain)

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jan-12 14:10:02

Thank you so much for a really helpful and interesting set of answers to a wide range of questions. Linda's been typing frantically for the past hour and a bit, but she says she'll see if she can pick up and answer any questions she didn't get to.

In the mean time, we're off to snack on some fruit and veg (and some other food groups).

Thanks again to Linda for a great webchat.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 14:06:44

carbs it is then.

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 14:06:32

crumblygranny

Hiya

My friend (71) has lost her sense of smell, and I think taste. As such she's gone right off food, and only really eats chocolate (understandable)! She seems well enough (although heartburn) and is not too thin. Should I worry or are there any ways of encouraging her taste to return?

Good afternoon crumblygranny. How very unfortunate for your friend. She will almost certainly have lost most if not all her sense of taste if she has lost her sense of smell. Taste is quite a primitive sense and our enjoyment of food is much more closely connected to smell. I don't think there is even a medical solution to this problem and I certainly don' know of a dietary one. I'm sorry but I don't think I an help.

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 14:02:43

gracesmum

Am I too late to ask about eating 1) healthily 2) cheaply - I make lots of veggie soup which is cheap and healthy, but too many recipes designed to save penies do so by adding bulk such as cheese/pasta/starch.
How do I ole weight and not spemnd a lot on my food bil?

Hello gracesmum It is not true that you have to spend a lot of money to buy "healthy" food. Indeed, there's not really any such thing as healthy or unhealthy food (maybe sugar is just empty calories and is the exception). Carbohydrates, such as pasta, are an important food group and it is not a good idea to reduce these, except as part of a general reduction in the size of portions. Cut visible fat off meat and remember that stewing steak is just as nutritious as sirloin. It is worth bearing in mind that he digestive system copes with fat far more easily than it does with some other types of food. Carbohydrates require more calories to be digested than fat.

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 13:56:56

grandmasheila

Do you think what you eat can have any effect on your skin - ie the old wrinkles and cellulite? I'm a sucker for creams and potions and magazines telling you to eat this and that to keep wrinkles /cellulite at bay - and have been for years, so maybe I know the answer deep down already - but just wondered what your thoughts were.
Thanks

Hello grandmasheila The skin does lose its elasticity as we age. Nothing in the diet is going to get rid of wrinkles – these are just the story of your life on your face. However, plenty of fruit and vegetables will help to keep your skin looking as good as possible with a healthy glow. They will also help your eyes keep their sparkle, which makes the skin look better too.

gracesmum Wed 11-Jan-12 13:56:53

That was meant to be "lose weight and not spend a lot on my food bill"

gracesmum Wed 11-Jan-12 13:55:24

Am I too late to ask about eating 1) healthily 2) cheaply - I make lots of veggie soup which is cheap and healthy, but too many recipes designed to save penies do so by adding bulk such as cheese/pasta/starch.
How do I ole weight and not spemnd a lot on my food bil?

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 13:54:32

grannygrunt

My husband has emphysema and heart problems so keeping to a tasty. healthy diet is really quite difficult.
Can you suggest any recipes that are really low or no salt, low fat, and not too many calories!?
I have tried adding herbs and spices to add some flavour, but I am not keen on too much of this, so this restricts me too.

Good afternoon grannygrunt It is interesting that there is now a suggestion that a high intake of salt affects the blood pressure of only certain susceptible individuals. However, this has not been proved and, in any case, how do you know if you are susceptible. It is less the salt that is added to fresh ingredients during cooking or even added at the table, than the salt that is locked into food that causes the damage. It is therefore sensible to avoid processed and manufactured foods whenever possible – ham, bacon, sausages, ready meals. Also check the labels on stock cubes, cakes and biscuits.
Herbs and spices do add flavour to food so that you can reduce the amount of salt. Other possibilities are lemon juice,line juice, orange juice (lovely with chicken and white fish) balsamic or sherry vinegar, chilli sauce, nuts. I have only just discovered that soy sauce used as a condiment contains less sodium than table salt.
You could also switch to low sodium salt but don't do this if you or your husband have a kidney problem because these salts are high in potassium. Foods that are high in potassium – fruit, especially avocados which are also high in unsaturated (healthy) fats, vegetables, nuts – help to lower high blood pressure. Tomatoes and bananas are also especially good.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Jan-12 13:49:47

jingl grin grin

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 13:45:00

Is microwaving veg good\/ Sorry to butt in. Cari did.

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 13:44:54

Greatnan

I have already changed to a healthy diet but I would like to ask if dementia can be related to poor eating. My SIL was a vegetarian and was then told by a quack nutritionist that she was allergic to wheat, citrus fruit, dairy....more or less everything. She was reduced to eating salads and some nuts and I wondered if that diet accelerated her Alzheimer's.

By the way, I keep reading the title of this thread as 'Dosser weds' - I thought at first it was a news story about a tramp's wedding.

Hi Greatnan, I have already mentioned in answer to another post that I am utterly opposed to diets that cut out whole food groups (except, of course, on the recommendation of a proper nutritional scientist and dietician because of a medical condition). There is no evidence that such a diet would have accelerated Alzheimer's but that could be because no one has done any research on such a diet and dementia. It certainly wouldn't have improved her general health. There has, however, been some interesting research published recently that the omega 3 essential fatty acids found in fish oils possibly help to prevent the shrinkage of brain cells that characterise Alzheimer's. Oily fish can be beneficial in many ways, so it is always worth including them in the diet and if they help prevent or slow down the onset of dementia, so much the better.

LindaDoeser Wed 11-Jan-12 13:39:45

greatgablegran

My DH has been told he needs to eat more raw food (by a bloke in a gym, if you please). I don't mind the odd piece of fruit, and I love salads, but he is insisting we need to eat bean salads. Is there any truth in the idea that uncooked food is better for you? Is it so much better that it's worth the tedium of eating it?

Good afternoon greatgablegran There is some truth and there isn't. It's too sweeping a statement. Cooking can destroy some vitamins – the water soluble ones. However, cooking methods also matter. Steaming vegetables or stir-frying will conserve nutrients better than boiling in lots of water, for example. Some foods are better for you when cooked than when eaten raw. You can absorb more lycopene, a valuable anti-oxidant, from tomatoes when cooked – or canned, which is a kind of cooking – than you can from raw ones. Like most things to do with food and health, a wide variety is the keynote – so some salads and raw fruit and some cooked food will provide a balanced diet.