Gransnet forums

Food

Food for staying well & looking good - live webchat with Linda Doeser 11 January 1-2pm

(112 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 28-Dec-11 11:48:37

As we grow older our dietary needs change just as our lives change with our grown-up children leaving home, retirement, possibly a less active life and various health problems etc.

It is - of course - all too easy to become fixed in our ways and not give any thought to what we're eating and whether it might be a good idea to make a few small changes to the menus we've cooked over many years.

But are the odd touch of indigestion, bloating, feeling and looking tired, poor sleep, middle-age spread, aching joints, constipation and muddled thinking the inevitable outcomes of advancing years? <<has little worry about familiarity of many of those symptoms and sincerely hopes not...>>

While we can’t turn the clock back the good news is that a few simple changes CAN help to make our retirement years as healthy and rewarding as possible. And - says cookery writer Linda Doeser - what we eat can make all the difference between 'passive decline' and a fitter and brighter third age.

Linda started her career on the partwork Supercook in the 1970s and published her first book a couple of years later. Since then she has written so many cookbooks that she has lost track. She has an abiding interest in healthy eating and nutrition combined with appetizing meals and is currently working on a project about how dietary needs change with the different stages of life. She is also a gran.

Add your questions for her here

JessM Wed 11-Jan-12 15:10:22

mmm didn't understand that bit, or carbs "clear the pathways"... hmm did anyone else?

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:23:32

jeni!!! shock

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:32:17

jess, not sure I understand why tryptophan can go straight to the brain while the other amino acids in protein go into other body cells. But at least we know now that eating a piece of turkey at bedtime will not work as well as eating a turkey sandwich.

I guess that's enough.

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:35:47

jingl probably something to do with the blood brain barrier.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:36:04

I don't understand how the carbohydrate directs the other amino acids to body cells while letting the tryptophan go to the brain.

Perhaps jeni can tell us. smile

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:36:28

Oh! She already has!

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:37:02

Well........ not completely.

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:46:50

jingl this is biochemistry which I havn't studied for over fourth years! You need dd for this. She has a degree in chemistry and reckons she knows much more than me about everything!

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:47:41

Sorry that should be fourty years.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:49:56

jeni My dd has got a degree in chemistry too! Fancy that! We're the same. smile

I will ask her.

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:53:15

Where? Soton formine

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:56:08

Pardon?

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 15:57:34

Oh! I see! It's your i-pad again. grin

Cambridge for mine, believe it or not! (No, she didn't get the brains from me)

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 16:08:25

jingl
Swank!

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 16:10:53

No!!! You asked!!! grin

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:12:11

em

Yes - reasonable diet, a bit of exercise ( preferably in the sunshine) and good friends. I didn't feel that any of the points in the intro really applied to me so that's why I haven't asked a question. However my 35 year-old daughter has Rheumatoid arthritis and I feel she could be more careful with her diet, although she is an excellent cook. Any advice?
PS Who came up with the phrase 'passive decline'? That's not the same as having an 'off day' is it?

Hello em. I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Arthritis is horrid. A well balanced, varied diet is important for everyone and your daughter might find it helpful to include a serving of oily fish at least once week, preferably more often. Sometimes rheumatoid arthritis is aggravated by certain foods. It can be difficult to tell which but if she thinks this might be the case, she should consult her doctor about trying an exclusion diet. It is not wise to do exclude whole groups of food without proper medical consultation. Howeveer, some people have found that avoiding the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers) helps.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:15:00

Mamie

I would have to say that one of the pleasures of retirement is having more time to grow our own fruit and veg, visit markets and spend even more time cooking and exploring new cuisines. In the spirit of asking a question though -

I have always lived by the maxim, "Everything in moderation and a little of what you fancy does you good." Is there any reason to change that as I get older?

Hi Mamie How right you are and what a good maxim that is. The digestive system, however, does become less efficient with age so sometimes even a little of what we fancy may not be such a good idea, but as long as you are eating a varied diet and enjoying it, then good luck to you. Bon appetit.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:19:34

beeble

I don't know if it's ok for me to ask this as I am a mum and not yet a gran ...but am suffering from that hideous January need-to-lose-weight-but-permanently-ravenous thing. I'd like to drop a stone and am not interested in any of these celebrity diets etc - but how can I stop myself from being starving all the time?

Hello beeble Weight is gained slowly and insidiously and losing it also takes time. It is a big mistake to starve yourself or skip meals. Yes, the only way to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than you expend. Try using a smaller plate and eating slowly so that you are aware of the signals that your brain sends to tell you that you are full. If you are suffering from hunger pangs, you might find four small meals rather than three larger ones each day is a more helpful pattern. While it is tempting to get off to a good start with dieting, it is better to aim at a steady loss of about 2 lb per week. Good luck.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:29:25

jakesgran

Should I raise the tone by moving from flatulence to fish?

Much is said about the benefits of oily fish. I like salmon, can't abide mackerel or sardines and always have a decent stock of tinned tuna. How much should I be eating, what should I be doing with it and what will it do for me?

Hi jakesgran Oily fish forms a valuable part of the diet. Omega 3 essential fatty acids have numerous beneficial effects including lowering the levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol inthe blood, alleviating inflammatory diseases, protecting the heart, reducing the risk of thrombosis and stroke to name some of them. There is some evidence that they reduce the risk or at least slow down the development of dementia. The fish oils in oily fish are distributed throughout their tissues, whereas those in white fish are concentrated in the liver. The general recommendation is to eat at least one portion of oily fish per week. Eating more is probably better but there is a bit of a worry about toxins in the flesh resulting from pollution. Mercury is a particular worry.

If you like salmon, then the other oily fish you might like would be trout, salmon trout (also called sea trout) and swordfish, as well as fresh tuna. Unfortunately, canned tuna contains virtually no omega 3 as this is lost in the canning process. This is not the case with other canned oily fish.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:32:45

jeni

Cani please ask about zero cal meals for one that are at the same time nutritious, filling and prepare themselves?

Hi Jeni What do you want to aks about them. Zero calories would not actually be a good idea, but preparing themselves would be wonderful.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:38:45

pudding

Is it true that you need to eat different foods after the menopause than before? If so, how should your diet change?

Hello pudding A massive change in diet is not necessary. As we grow older our bodies become less efficient at absorbing and using the vitamins and minerals we need, so it is even more important that what we eat is packed with nutrients. Calcium rich foods help protect against osteoparosis so dairy, dried fruit, especially apricots and figs, sunflower seeds, canned fish with their bones e.g. sardines, oranges, watercress and broccoli. You also need vitamin D to absorb calcium, so include eggs, oily fish and butter.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:42:34

WanderingRider

What tips do you have to stop me snacking between meals? I'm a complete chocoholic and just can't say no...

Hello WanderingRider I suggest that you invest in some really good quality chocolate with a high proportion of cocoa solids (70 per cent). This is so rich (and expensive) that you will probably eat a lot less of it. Also, try having some fruit when you might otherwise have had an unhealthy snack. The only other way is not to buy anything that constitutes an unhealthy snack and exercising considerable willpower.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:47:04

CariGransnet

<<butting in>> (!)

Linda - your advice about tryptophan reminded me of something I would love to ask... I've heard that magnesium is good for helping to combat restless arms/legs...so what's the best thing to eat in order to help with this? Thank you grin

Hi Cari As well as fish, meat and chicken, magnesium is found in pulses, nuts, whole grain cereals, dried figs and sesame seeds. I know that a deficiency in magnesium can cause cramps and twitches, among other things, but I am not sure about restless arms and legs.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:49:59

jingl

Is microwaving veg good\/ Sorry to butt in. Cari did.

Hello again jingl It does help to conserve vitamins and minerals and, for that matter, colour and texture.

LindaDoeser Thu 12-Jan-12 10:54:28

JessM

mmm didn't understand that bit, or carbs "clear the pathways"... hmm did anyone else?

Hi JessM Sorry that I did not make myself clear. If lots of amino acids are, as it were, competing to be absorbed, the tryptophan may take longer to get to the brain. However, the presence of carbohydrates speeds up the absorption of the other amino acids into the body so the tryptophan sort of fast tracks to the brain.