Gransnet forums

Food

Is there a milk round where you live?

(21 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 15:57:30

I detest buying milk from supermarkets but it is more than 10 years since a milkman delivered my milk. This afternoon, out of the blue, a local dairy has sent out a milkman to see if anyone wants their milk delivered to their doorstep. I certainly do, and he's going to bring eggs as well, starting next Monday. Whilst we were chatting, he said there is a small established round on a nearby estate, with only 12 customers! No wonder there isn't much appeal in delivering to the door if that's all they can drum up. I hope he gets a few more neighbours interested. It gives me great satisfaction not to have to get milk from the supermarket.

feetlebaum Wed 27-Jun-12 16:01:19

We do have a chap who delivers, but I use so little that it has never been worth my while to patronise him.

I find the Supermarket handy - or the Post Office - when I need a carton of the old semi-skimmed.

whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:06:01

I don't use much milk, either, but he was keen to offer a service and it's one in the eye for Tesco, so suits me all round. I hope it's worth it!

Annobel Wed 27-Jun-12 16:10:30

I might use half a litre a week, but all too often I find it turning to cheese in the fridge. So although I'd love to be able to have the delivery, it really wouldn't work for me.

absentgrana Wed 27-Jun-12 16:16:04

My use of milk is fairly unpredictable – I'll suddenly use it all up to make a sauce or decide to have muesli for breakfast. However, I see van with crates of milk go past my front window somewhere between 7.30 and 8.00 every morning so delivery is obviously possible.

Ella46 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:27:13

There is a milkman who comes down my road, which is a fairly long cul de sac. He arrives at around 5am, goes to the bottom end and then reverses at top speed all the way back!
You know how whiney engines sound in reverse, and in the quiet of early morning I nearly fall out of bed! angry

whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:41:19

Oh dear, this one comes round at 6 am. As he walks up the long path my security lights will come on, and if the dog hears him she'll create merry hell. I hope I've done the right thing! grin

Ella46 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:43:30

If you meet him at the door when, wearing your see through negligee, he will be so scared that he won't make a sound coming down the path in future! grin

Ella46 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:44:50

Not implying that you're scary when blush

whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 16:51:29

That's a thought Ella. It's not so long ago that the mechanic who came to service and MOT my car had such a fright, when my hastily thrown-on towelling robe flew open as I handed him the car keys (I was in the shower when he turned up early). I jumped behind the glass front door and he beat a hasty retreat! grin

tanith Wed 27-Jun-12 17:12:34

We have dairy that delivers to our road but I think only one person actually has a delivery anymore . A neighbour that used to use him said the milk was often a very short date and was off in a couple of days . I buy from a supermarket that has a very long use by date so I don't have to worry if I don't use much one week .

kittylester Wed 27-Jun-12 17:32:52

I was adamant that I would always have my milk delivered to try to ensure that milk deliveries continue but quickly changed my mind when the milkman started delivering at 3 am angry and leaving the engine running outside our house while he walked up and down to the neighbours. I don't think anyone in the immediate vicinity has a delivery now.

GoldenGran Wed 27-Jun-12 17:47:37

I have seen a milk van around here, just off the King'sRoad in London, butI confess I don't use him,Waitrose is a minute's walk away.t

Mamie Wed 27-Jun-12 17:58:16

All around us on the hoof. The milk lorry comes every day to collect and woe betide you if you meet him on a bend. Have to travel 30km round trip to buy it and then it can be out of stock / out of date. sad

nanaej Wed 27-Jun-12 18:01:15

Yes I use Milk & More (google it) and when we moved organised the change on line.

Nonu Wed 27-Jun-12 18:13:46

Yes but it kept being pinched , so we go to Iceland , but we think is better milk then Tesco and , cheaper

Stansgran Wed 27-Jun-12 18:24:45

We have a delivery and yes it does go off in 2-3 days and yes he arrives at 2.30 but having to lug it home especially if the GCs are visiting and they still need full cream whereas I prefer skimmed milk is a bore. Also it freezes if put into a container and I cook -rice pud creme caramel and porridge most mornings and cauliflower cheese is a standby. So what's to grumble about. And I have a wonderful recipe for scones made with soured milk

nightowl Wed 27-Jun-12 19:09:39

I also use 'milk and more' which is so easy and you can see whether they deliver to your area. Payment by direct debit, can cancel or change order online and order other things too. The milk always has a reasonable use by date and it's so much more green (not the milk!) than all those plastic bottles. And I have organic milk too! Brilliant service. (I don't work for them btw)

Anagram Wed 27-Jun-12 19:28:43

I get our supply from Asda usually - not the huge bottles though. We do get through rather a lot and milkmen haven't delivered round here for years. The plastic bottles just go in the recycling box.

whenim64 Wed 27-Jun-12 19:38:01

I looked for Milk and More a couple of times in the last year and they replied that they would notify me if a round started up in my area, but have not been in touch since. I prefer organic milk and would have been happy to order groceries from them, too - shame they haven't got a service round here.

GillieB Sun 01-Jul-12 12:53:46

My milk is delivered three times a week - Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I think it's important to patronise the service if you can - the old adage "use it or lose it" is very true. Yes, I know it is more expensive, but I like to think that I'm helping to keep somebody in work.