Gransnet forums

Food

Live webchat with top TV chef James Martin - Thurs 25 Oct 3.30-4.30pm

(93 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Oct-12 10:03:21

Great excitement at GNHQ that James will be joining us for a live webchat. Presenter of BBC's Saturday Kitchen and formerly a regular team member on Ready Steady Cook he's one of the UK's most popular TV chefs. His most successful book to date - Desserts - was published in 2007 and accompanied the TV series Sweet Baby James (can highly recommend the rhubarb with baked parkin grin). His new book is Slow Cooking: Mouthwatering recipes with minimum effort. We like minimum effort...

Add your questions for him here.

artygran Wed 24-Oct-12 17:27:46

I have a similar question about pork - specifically, shoulder. I recently saw another TV chef cook a shoulder of pork for an hour. It looked underdone and if my experience of underdone pork shoulder is anything to go by, it should have been tough. I always thought to get the best out of pork shoulder it had to be cooked slowly for about two or more hours. To echo Stansgran, have times changed?

getmehrt Wed 24-Oct-12 20:07:25

Hi James, what a treat to have you on Gransnet! smile
Do you have any suggestions for cakes I can put in the oven before I go to football and get out when I come back (I reckon I'm out of the house for nearly three hours). Or is this a mad aspiration?

closetgran Wed 24-Oct-12 20:10:19

I had confit lamb at a party last weekend and very nice it was too. What does confit actually mean and how do you do it?

cleopatra Thu 25-Oct-12 12:07:37

Ha I seem to be having an interview the top chefs on gransnet day today!

I love roast beef - I like it rare. But is there a way I can cook it for longer so it is meltingly tender but still pink in the middle? Thanks in advance

whenim64 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:17:56

James! What are you going to do to stop Madhur Jaffrey sabotaging your omelette challenge next time she's on? Or do you give up? grin

glassortwo Thu 25-Oct-12 12:43:46

james is it correct you should not put fresh herbs in a slow cooker?

I hope you have brought a nice cake with you for the GNHQ girls.

rosiemus Thu 25-Oct-12 13:11:04

Hello James can you recommend me a pudding that you can bung in the oven for ages but that isn't a milk pud (school put me off those forever) Thank you

rosiemus Thu 25-Oct-12 13:12:06

Sorry me again - ideally something that's fairly hardy and can cope with other things being cooked in the oven at the same time please grin

bababa Thu 25-Oct-12 13:30:38

Hello James

I have just been given one of your slow cookers. I'm delighted but a novice - what tips can you give me for using it (or any other model of course)? Are there principles that one must adhere to?

Banbury Thu 25-Oct-12 13:34:06

Hi James,

I just wanted to add that Madhur Jaffrey's omelette sabotage last weekend was was on of the funniest things I've seen for a while!

smile

What's been your hair-raising moment on live TV?

New book sounds great by the way grin

GrannyBusy Thu 25-Oct-12 13:47:55

Hello James
Am I allowed two questions?

Any tips on an easy way to convert slow cooker recipes to use in an Aga?

Also what was your favourite dance on Strictly?
Thanks

Suze Thu 25-Oct-12 14:02:59

Hi James, welcome to Gransnet. Just the one question for me - having been on your website please can you explain this outfit?

i277.photobucket.com/albums/y496/cm22v077/image.png

I'm sure there is a story behind this.

Suze

eggsandham Thu 25-Oct-12 15:10:04

More to the point, can you explain this photo? :-)

bucksfizztheearlyyears.yuku.com/topic/1526#.UIlHSmk-uZY

(nb - scroll further down the page for the best pic)

cm25 Thu 25-Oct-12 15:14:05

How unhygienic!

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Oct-12 15:30:47

James is ready to go...so let's get started.

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:34:02

Lindylooby

I love cooking, and watch you every Saturday. Have you got a foolproof curry recipe for the slow cooker? I love my slow cooker but curry never seems to taste that good?Please, please answer this question - I want to amaze friends when they come over.

Yeah, you can take any of the recipes from Saturday kitchen on the slow cooker. But what I find is that Moroccan recipes in the slow cooker work best. If you think of a tagine, it's a slow cooking pot - that's what it is! Try the Beef Rendang, it's Indonesian, in my new book - it's got coconut milk and lemongrass, lime, it's lovely!

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:36:11

Mamie

Hi James
My question is about slow cooking in a cooling, wood-fired bread oven. We have had the bread oven for about three years and have got pretty good at bread, pizza and tarts. We haven't yet used the potential of the oven as it cools from about 250c to 50c over 12 hours. Our neighbours here in Normandy would love us to make the local speciality, Tergoule, but we already get that at every village event and frankly, a little bit of rice pudding goes a long way!
So ideas, savoury or sweet would be very welcome.

The best and most famous dish in a wooden oven as it cools is boulanger potatoes, that's where the name comes from! But there's a recipe in the book called Tartifettes, with sliced potatoes bacon and cheese. Try that! Very French.

granIT Thu 25-Oct-12 15:37:40

OOh, James, great to have you here. I read somewhere that food should either be cooked fast or slow, but almost never in the middle which is where I seem do all my cooking. (If in doubt, gas mark 4 or 5).

Any truth in this?

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:37:52

Banbury

Hi James,

I just wanted to add that Madhur Jaffrey's omelette sabotage last weekend was was on of the funniest things I've seen for a while!

smile

What's been your hair-raising moment on live TV?

New book sounds great by the way grin

It's the bit that you don't see because the timings are quite crucial! So when someone like Mrs Jaffrey takes too long, I've got to cook my dish in about three and a half minutes!

I've had things catch fire... when the autocue goes down, the camera goes off - the joys of live television!

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:39:11

Winefride

My slow cooker recipes can tend to taste the same any suggestions

Stop putting the same food in it?! The secret is sealing the meat first, and then reducing the temperature down. Even to seal it in the separate pan first, then when you've sealed it, put it in the slow cooker afterwards is sometimes a good idea.

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:40:52

granIT

OOh, James, great to have you here. I read somewhere that food should either be cooked fast or slow, but almost never in the middle which is where I seem do all my cooking. (If in doubt, gas mark 4 or 5).

Any truth in this?

You're probably right, actually. A prime example is squid. Its' got to be cooked very quickly, like what you're about to see on Saturday kitchen this saturday, or really quickly, with peppers and tomatoes. Only food that is tender can be quickly cooked, whereas all ingredients can be slowly cooked.

distaffgran Thu 25-Oct-12 15:40:54

Duck breasts. Are they worth buying? And then having bought them, what to do with them?

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:41:57

getmehrt

Hi James, what a treat to have you on Gransnet! smile
Do you have any suggestions for cakes I can put in the oven before I go to football and get out when I come back (I reckon I'm out of the house for nearly three hours). Or is this a mad aspiration?

Cakes you can put in the oven, but you might have to come back at half time?? Things like lardy cakes, Christmas cakes, require a good 2 and a half hours in the oven. But if it’s sponge cake, it’ll be cooked in 20 minutes, unfortunately!

JamesMartin Thu 25-Oct-12 15:42:55

Stansgran

I am a slow cooker fan but my question is about a pork dish you cooked for TV (during the programme on watercress)and served very undercooked-I thought undercooked pork=worms-does this still hold true or have times changed?

artygran

I have a similar question about pork - specifically, shoulder. I recently saw another TV chef cook a shoulder of pork for an hour. It looked underdone and if my experience of underdone pork shoulder is anything to go by, it should have been tough. I always thought to get the best out of pork shoulder it had to be cooked slowly for about two or more hours. To echo Stansgran, have times changed?

That's trhe old myth - it’s like duck eggs and poisoning. It’s one of those things that used to happen 5n years ago, but we were pork farmers for 50 years in my life and I never had worms, so…!

zither Thu 25-Oct-12 15:42:57

Are there any slow recipes for fish? Apart from fish pie, I mean. Doesn't cooking fish slowly destroy its texture and delicacy?