Gransnet forums

Food

Bones for the lovely nourishing marrow

(11 Posts)
Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 14:09:14

Thanks. That's what I'd heard.

HildaW Tue 05-Feb-13 13:56:18

Yes Absent, since having a dog weve been told that once a bone is cooked you cant give it to a dog.

absent Tue 05-Feb-13 13:18:46

No, the bone is prone to splinter if it has been cooked.

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 13:04:40

I thought that too, absent (never had a dog), but perhaps there's only a danger of splinters if it's a small bone. Perhaps one of the more dog-knowledgeable GN-ers could help us here?

absent Tue 05-Feb-13 12:38:01

Perhaps I am maligning the cooks of the North-east. I shouldn't think a bone that has been used to make stock is much fun for a dog and if it has been roasted first – as you always should if making proper brown stock – it would actually be bad for a dog because of possible splinters.

Galen Tue 05-Feb-13 12:32:08

GA you're supposed to use a silver hammer and a special spoon, a la James Bond!

I love Osso bucco, and the best bit is the marrow!

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 12:19:35

I asked him if people took them for their dogs and he said he thought most people made the soup stock first and then gave the bone to the dog. Maximum number of beneficiaries! smile

absent Tue 05-Feb-13 12:07:28

The butcher I go to has knuckle bones in a crate and customers can have as many as they like. I think most people take them for their dogs.

grannyactivist Tue 05-Feb-13 11:59:25

A marrow bone and a knitting needle.......yummy! (I really am a simple soul aren't I?) wink

Granny23 Tue 05-Feb-13 11:56:31

WoW Bags that takes me back. The butcher near the bank where I worked 45 years ago used to throw in a bone for soup if you bought 2 or 3 things but also point out the Pipe Band collecting tin. The young apprentice (now the owner of the shop) was a piper smile

Bags Tue 05-Feb-13 11:37:02

Someone somewhere on a thread sometime on gransnet said something about not being able to get knuckle bones and such for making soup stock nowadays. I was at the butcher's just now and asked him if he sold them. "Oh no! he said, we don't sell them; we just give them away. You can put some change in the tin for the local pipe band if you like."

I took two smile #looksforwardtoyummynourishingsoup