Gransnet forums

Food

Beef shin with marrow bones

(21 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 27-Oct-13 10:21:53

Hi Mamie smile!

I've come home from a 2 day conference trip with a chest infection, so I'm directing ops in the kitchen from my bed. Hopefully the husband won't mess up my vision of supper (I'm not that sick that I've lost my appetite). Just thought sod it I'm staying in bed today. The train trip back from Manchester on Friday evening was an endurance test for me. Plus I hate those darn Pendolino trains. Was chatting to a staff member on one occasion, who told me working a shift on them is like doing a day's skiing ...

feetlebaum Sun 27-Oct-13 08:45:59

I used to buy skirt for making curries - haven't seen any for ages.

I have managed to find shin at Sainsbury's, but not packaged - on the meat counter.

petra Sun 27-Oct-13 08:44:07

The mention of Frey Bentos reminds me of a couple ( Retired Majors) that we met on a campsite in Portugal. We mentioned that we were having that for dinner. She said that they ate them but didn't tell anyone.
Food snobbery or what!

Stansgran Sun 27-Oct-13 08:00:13

Skirt for casseroles always and it's getting dearer as Waitrose are putting it in their forgotten cuts. The butcher in the Hexham branch always says feather steak is best.

Iam64 Sun 27-Oct-13 07:07:09

In the 70's I always made soup using bones, I was poor. These days, the butcher saves me a few marrow bones, which he cuts into reasonable sized pieces for the dogs. So good for them, but reading this had made me consider making my own stock again.

Anne58 Sun 27-Oct-13 00:33:49

We love venison! Haunch for roasting, shoulder for the best casserole in the world!

Is anyone else familiar with a cut of beef called chandlers? The absolute best for braising or casseroles.

I made a steak pie on Thursday, been threatening Mr P with it for ages, so that means it was the first time in 13 years that I have made it! Also the first time I have made it without kidney, as himself says he doesn't like it. Manages to force it down when it's a Fray Bentos thing. (Can't stand them myself, nasty slimy pastry on the bottom and a somewhat dubious filling!)

hebrideanlady Sat 26-Oct-13 21:35:18

I went and collected my venison today, a hind butchered. The bones and the marrow make lovely soup. Tomorrow we make Stag Burgers

Deedaa Sat 26-Oct-13 21:00:13

Any cornishman will tell you skirt is the only meat to use for pasties! Shin is wonderful for stews and really rewards long, slow cooking. I had never tried marrow until I had Osso bucco and I was amazed how tasty iti s.

Brendawymms Sat 26-Oct-13 20:53:01

The next best bit if beef after shin with the bone in is skirt. Wonderful for meat pies. My mouth is watering at just the thought.

Mamie Sat 26-Oct-13 20:04:16

We love dishes with marrow bone GK.
Osso bucco is the favourite here, served with risotto milanese. You know where to find us!

tiggypiro Sat 26-Oct-13 19:46:18

On my first visit to China 13 years ago DD lived in the NE of the country. She took me to a 'Bone Restaurant' and we had 'bone soup' - any meat on the bones was a bonus! The people on the next table had a plate of marrow bones. The ends were bunged up with pastry(?), one end was un-bunged and the marrow sucked out with a straw.

JessM Sat 26-Oct-13 19:43:50

You don't often see shin for sale - certainly in supermarkets . Brilliant for very slow cooked casserole-y dishes isn't it.

thatbags Sat 26-Oct-13 19:29:46

agus back in 1977-8 I used to pay 2p for a marrow bone at a Dundee butcher (Lochee to be precise). I'd get the biggest one that would fit in my pan for making soup. My current butcher gives them away free usually, he says, for people's dogs, but I asked him to saw a lamb leg bone in half for me so it would fit in my pan for soup.

Ana Sat 26-Oct-13 18:51:12

There's nothing wrong with shin beef! It's delicious slow-cooked or in a casserole - what's wrong with you people? grin

Mishap Sat 26-Oct-13 18:47:53

Oh groan! It sounds completely revolting! I struggle to eat beef and any red meat at the best of times - definitely not my thing! But bon appetit!

Galen Sat 26-Oct-13 17:34:43

I don't like or use beef shin!

Agus Sat 26-Oct-13 17:32:43

I remember going out for dinner with friends in France. One friend was thrilled that roast marrowbone was on the menu. He explained that this was a rare dish and expensive. When he asked if we had this dish in Scotland, I didn't want to tell him that my butcher gave me free marrowbones for the dogs! Years later I would pay 50p for a marrowbone. Must find out of that is still the case.

merlotgran Sat 26-Oct-13 17:18:22

They're the latest trend now, Grannyknot. Masterchef is starting again soon so there's bound to be a few marrowbones on the menu.

Grannyknot Sat 26-Oct-13 16:55:46

Galen, the pack of beef shin with bone in has 2 marrow bones with the meat taken off tucked in too - a bonus smile

Galen Sat 26-Oct-13 16:52:44

Sauces made with marrow whisked into them are super aren't they.
First find your marrowbone though!

Grannyknot Sat 26-Oct-13 16:31:23

I was so excited to see the above on the shelf at Waitrose today. I can't tell you for how long I have been craving a stew made with 'bone in' shin and it's just been impossible to find. And I can't wait to make soup mith marrow bones in. It's great that the 'forgotten' cuts are back in the supermarkets.