Gransnet forums

Food

Shopping at Lidl

(80 Posts)
gangy5 Mon 02-Dec-13 17:10:45

I saw a report in the newspaper that Lidle and Aldi are effectively reducing the market share of the big 4 supermarkets. Lidl have produced a marvellous brochure with all their Christmas goodies and impressive it is too. I can't believe that they manage to source all of their meat in the UK. Fruit and vegetables are much cheaper there too.
I am really pleased that a monopoly. which the big supermarkets have held, is now beginning to be broken. I do wish that more people would realise how the supermarketing gurus are very good at manipulating our shopping habits.

Flowerofthewest Tue 03-Dec-13 16:29:32

Agree the indoor bakery is fantastic

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 16:30:21

I have those bags too phoenix grin. I have been told though that this goes on as it also does with shoppers in Primark who transfer their shopping into a 'more upmarket' bag. Silly b-----s.

Flowerofthewest Tue 03-Dec-13 16:33:47

A co -worker of mine used to bring her sandwiches to work in a New York carrier bag to impress. Didn't work grin

Lona Tue 03-Dec-13 16:45:34

I use my Lidl and Aldi bags when I shop at Waitrose, just for the hell of it! grin

merlotgran Tue 03-Dec-13 16:52:26

I take my Waitrose wine bottle carriers into Aldi....just for the hell of it! grin

KatyK Tue 03-Dec-13 16:53:28

I love that Lona. There was something in the paper lately about some well to do looking woman standing in the queue in Aldi, talking on her phone and saying 'Be home soon darling, I'm just in the queue at Waitrose blush

KatyK Tue 03-Dec-13 16:54:07

Love that too Merlot !

Agus Tue 03-Dec-13 16:55:21

Oh, oh. The wild bunch have arrived!grin

Elegran Tue 03-Dec-13 17:10:13

Now that so many stores don't give away plastic bags, perhaps we will return to EVERYONE packing their shopping into a bag whuich has no connection to where the stuff was bought.

I always thought it pretty naff to boast about where you shopped anyway - it all goes down the same red lane and eventually down the same white porcelain bowl.

Flowerofthewest Tue 03-Dec-13 17:23:38

Elegran grin

espy2701 Tue 03-Dec-13 21:48:05

Lidl or aldi Stollen cake, Delicious!!!

Deedaa Tue 03-Dec-13 22:17:34

A lot of my Aldi shopping goes into Waitrose bags and I've been using a Lidl bag for shopping in Waitrose. hmm
One of the great joys of Aldi and Lidl is that they are smaller shops. They don't have 25 varieties of everything and I can be in and out in 10 minutes depending on the queue.

gangy5 Wed 04-Dec-13 17:41:50

I love the marzipan stollen - it keeps really well but if you have had it for some time it is rather nice - toasted.
I am so pleased that some of you you have discovered the joys of Lidl and Aldi. All we have to hope for now is that they don't make moves to use the tactics of the big supermarkets.

KatyK Wed 04-Dec-13 17:54:32

I love Aldi and Lidl stollen too - I have one at the moment and am struggling to resist before Xmas. I used to buy it from the German market here in Brum but the Aldi and Lidl ones are twice as big for half the money. tchsmile

eGJ Wed 04-Dec-13 18:18:50

ALL the Lidl German Christmas items are WONDERFUL.tchsmile Have you seen their Gingerbread House? Much better & cheaper than the major 4's offerings AND it tastes delicious!! The GS, DD, GD and I enjoyed making it too. Their Gluwein is just outstanding ( and not expensive). Have a try at their muesli; that too is the best around too. I think we had this thread two years ago; I mentioned the gluwein then too................HICK!! wine wine!! smile

specki4eyes Wed 04-Dec-13 19:01:47

Lidl nail varnish is the best ever at 3.99 a bottle.

Flowerofthewest Wed 04-Dec-13 19:57:51

Love their gluwein. My German friends swear by Lidl and Aldi

Deedaa Thu 05-Dec-13 21:25:24

Several years ago Aldi had a gingerbread train. GS1 and I had a great time building it to surprise Mummy.

Nonu Fri 06-Dec-13 11:53:41

Love Aldi & Lidl to bits . Such bargains to be had . Good quality too.
SMALL downside , just heard an advert for LIDL and they have taken like the CO-OP to have a bloke with a slighty Scottish accent .
Wonder why it gets on my pip .
Not that it will stop me going there you understand !
tchsmile

annodomini Fri 06-Dec-13 12:18:19

Must go there at once. And make a determined attempt to disguise my (slightly) Scottish accent. wink

Nonu Fri 06-Dec-13 12:20:21

ANNO LAL !

espy2701 Fri 06-Dec-13 12:40:14

Cannot see what a scottish accent has to do with advertising a supermarket

Nonu Fri 06-Dec-13 12:48:35

ESPY me neither , seems to be all the go at the moment though !

tchconfused

Agus Fri 06-Dec-13 12:50:07

Hope you're not reading this Mrs Hannah. It seems John's accent is getting on someone's pip! grin

Nonu Fri 06-Dec-13 12:56:42

tchgrin