Gransnet forums

Food

decorating a sponge train cake

(5 Posts)
Ariadne Sun 29-Dec-13 06:52:02

Oreo cookies make quite good wheels.

rosesarered Sat 28-Dec-13 20:44:54

Thanks for the replies; it's not easy if you are [like me] a novice about such things, however, I made the cake today and amazingly it did come out of the cake mould more or less ok [ooops!]So, I will ice and decorate it soon, marshmallows and sweets will I hope, make it look better.

glassortwo Thu 26-Dec-13 18:09:54

I dont know about the gluten free bit, but how about using firemans laces red and blacklaces, matchmakers, liqurice allsorts, or depending on the size you could use orio biscuits for wheels, black liqurice pieces for coal, thats all I can tthink of now but will set my brain to steep.

Anne58 Thu 26-Dec-13 17:49:15

Oh heavens! It does sound as if you are going to have your work cut out with the gluten free bit! I was going to suggest the wagon wheel chocolate biscuit things that you could add lines of icing to, to suggest spokes, but that won't work, will it?

rosesarered Thu 26-Dec-13 17:20:52

has anyone made and decorated a sponge cake in shape of a train?I have a silicone mould of an old fashioned engine [like Thomas the Tank]It will be on it's side on a plate and iced with chocolate ganache, but I need ideas for what to use [probably sweets] for windows/wheels etc. It has to be wheat/gluten free so no biscuits.