Gransnet forums

Food

Even smaller treats.

(28 Posts)
Kiora Wed 05-Feb-14 21:00:48

Is it just me or are our treats getting smaller. Today I bought some twix and I'm sure they are much shorter. I'v noticed that lots of these sweets seem to be smaller, thinner or shorter. Do the manufacturers think we wouldn't notice? As a footnote they don't taste as nice so are they being made more cheaply?

jennycockerspaniel Sat 08-Feb-14 02:42:12

The chocolate on the Mars bars is so thin I used to bite that off first but you cannot now and the wagon wheels are smaller and skinny There is less crisps in the bag so some will buy a larger bag and twin pack treats

Stansgran Fri 07-Feb-14 18:06:41

@ rosesarered a Mars a day helps you work rest and play. I still buy one but rarely. And slice it up. Makes it last longer.

FlicketyB Fri 07-Feb-14 17:21:53

They have been paring down the size of chocolate bars bit by bit for years to try and reduce price rises being too big because sweets can be very price sensitive. Then they start packing them in twos so that those finding the pared down version to meagre can now buy a double pack. Which is probably no larger than a single bar was 20 years ago but they can now double the price.

JessM Fri 07-Feb-14 08:23:02

I asked my analytical DH (who pays more attention to chocolate than I do - I tend to avert my eyes) and he pronounces that some bars have got smaller but jumbo sized packs have become more common e.g. 2 mars bars. Crisps the same. The packs size was cut and then became so small that they introduced a "grab bag" size that has more than about 8 crisps but is still a single helping for most people. He's probably right, knowing him as I do.

rockgran Thu 06-Feb-14 19:57:19

Wagon wheels always make me think of school break at infants in the 1950s. The teacher used to bring out a big cubic square tin of biscuit assortment and set them out thus:- for 1d you could have.....
2 digestive
or
4 rich tea
or
2 jammie dodgers
or
or 2 rich tea and one jammie dodger
or
1 digestive and one jammie dodger
etc.
The endless combinations made it hard to choose.

However - a Wagon Wheel was 3d! They were HUGE and came in an individual wax paper packet. I could never afford one of those.
I always had the 4 rich tea and still like them to this day. I think I need one now! brew

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 13:24:18

Get Thee behind me Flower hmm

Flowerofthewest Thu 06-Feb-14 12:58:23

Peanut butter chunky kit kat mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rosesarered Thu 06-Feb-14 12:55:43

I think there is an element of comparing sweets [to when we were young]being about size, we did have little hands then. However I think you are right, most things have downsized, probably a good thing, since I remember doing a sponsored walk for charity aged about 14 [it was 8 miles] and I didn't need the sandwich I took with me, just ate my Mars Bar, that's how filling and calorific it was!Now very few people do hard manual work and don't need the extra pounds.Most British chocolate tastes too sweet for me now so I don't get tempted by it [well, only tempted by Maltesers.]

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 12:25:38

The cappuccino ones are delicious.

Agus Thu 06-Feb-14 12:25:28

If I hear DH bleating once more about the size of Wagon Wheels, I'll scream! He makes this comparison with every treat he buys now grin

Gally Thu 06-Feb-14 12:16:01

I saw a minty KitKat the other day. What is the world coming to? A KitKat is a KitKat. I don't want them messed with shock

Aka Thu 06-Feb-14 12:08:00

Bring back smaller treats please. And why can't I buy individual 2-finger KitKats any more? I can only get them is packs of 6 or so and can't resist eating the extra!

JessM Thu 06-Feb-14 12:01:23

I think confectionary portions are getting bigger actually. Two mars bars in one packet. Huge slabs of dairy milk for a pound.
The bars of chocolate we bought as children were tiny.
Did they always taste as disgustingly sweet, or is it me that eats so little these days?
Am eating a nice custard tart from the bakery, not much sugar in the custard and a little in the pastry. Now that's a treat.

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:45:32

Wagon wheels used to be Huge (or was that because I was small?).
I remember being very impressed at seeing Mr Weston ( the old Mr Weston) at a hotel where I worked one summer holiday

margaretm74 Thu 06-Feb-14 11:41:06

Profit!

Charleygirl Thu 06-Feb-14 11:40:56

Because everything has shrunk, I end up eating more! I am a fan of Wagon Wheels which used to be huge, now I can consume two without thinking as they are so small.

yogagran Thu 06-Feb-14 11:34:54

Yes, I remember cutting a Mars bar into 5 pieces too.
"You cut - I choose " smile

annodomini Thu 06-Feb-14 10:47:32

Sweet rationing in the war and post-war period meant that a Mars Bar was a treat for the whole family, carefully sliced in five pieces.

Flowerofthewest Thu 06-Feb-14 09:49:51

Maybe we were smaller? wink - mean as children, if you are 3 then a Mars Bar is enormous. Or maybe you are right

Eloethan Thu 06-Feb-14 00:11:47

I think that it's fine if they reduce the size, but what happened to the reduction in price?

Icyalittle Wed 05-Feb-14 21:55:36

Mars Bars used to be HUGE, now they're tiddly.

Icyalittle Wed 05-Feb-14 21:54:37

I would rather have a decent, tasty, fattening treat less often, rather than a whingy little low-fat, taste-reduced one every hour day.

Ana Wed 05-Feb-14 21:15:11

Less sugar/fat content. Like Digestive biscuits - supposedly 'healthier' but they don't taste nearly as nice as they used to...sad

Kiora Wed 05-Feb-14 21:14:26

And fat blush

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 05-Feb-14 21:12:27

or you are just getting greedy