Gransnet forums

Food

buying marmalade

(15 Posts)
janerowena Sat 22-Feb-14 17:19:01

I suppose, unless you start making your own, and as long as you don't mind paying £5 a jar, then a county Show would be your best bet for finding whisky marmalade and damson jam. Or you could buy it from me. grin No you couldn't - it's all spoken for. We love damson jam in this family, and my mother loves whisky marmalade so I only make it for her.

Can you imagine the postage costs though?

And if you think that £5 is excessive at a county Show, just look at this lot.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=damson+jam&tag=googhydr-21&index=grocery&hvadid=31430220200&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1221824658727485347&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_56hsudgnjf_b

dahlia Sat 22-Feb-14 16:56:13

I make my own marmalade, but in the past bought Wilkins' with tangerine which was delicious. Saw an old Michael Portillo programme recently (his train rides) where he visited the Wilkins factory. It looked just like my kitchen on a very grand scale - no sign of saucers in the 'fridge to test for a set, though!

rosesarered Sat 22-Feb-14 15:53:26

Yes, you can't get the whisky marmalade easily anymore, and there are not many damson trees around it would seem [only in private gardens.]I just found some very nice lemon curd, Sainsbury's 'best' range, it's lovely.I will have to get to a WI market soon and see what they have got.

Charleygirl Sat 22-Feb-14 15:44:20

I bought marmalade with whisky a while ago but I have not seen it on Waitrose shelves since. It was delicious and I could definitely taste the whisky!

I love damson jam and recently I have been buying it from somebody at the local Townwomans's Guild who makes jams and marmalade for sale.

bbensharma Sat 22-Feb-14 05:16:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 17:09:39

There used to be marmalade with whisky too, but haven't seen that for a long time.That would go down well on toast after the porridge.

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 17:07:51

Thanks for all your replies, I have made a big list! You are right, Coopers is way too chunky for me. I like the idea of marmalde with ginger [I love ginger]will certainly try that.DH likes Bonne Maman apricot jam but I have never tried the marmalade, so will give that a go too.Will you recommend a good lemon cheese [curd]. I bought a fancy one from a garden centre and had to throw it away, it tasted of chemicals!Does anyone buy damson jam, I used to love that as a child, also bilberry?

dustyangel Fri 14-Feb-14 13:07:49

Another Cooper's Vintage fan, it's got a proper marmalade taste. Although it is probably too chunky for you Roses.
The -bought-from-the church-lady stuff is can have some very interesting variations.

Charleygirl Fri 14-Feb-14 12:21:04

I like grapefruit marmalade but at prsent all that I can buy is orange with or without ginger. The latter I hate.

Aurelia Fri 14-Feb-14 12:02:49

Frank Cooper's Vintage Marmalade is my favourite, and for jam I like Bonne Maman, and St. Delfour, both widely available, also La Vieja Fabrica (Apricot) from Waitrose.

grumppa Fri 14-Feb-14 11:55:05

Cooper's Oxford. It was good enough for Arthur Ransome's Missee Lee, so it's good enough for me.

Riverwalk Fri 14-Feb-14 11:24:51

Bon Maman Bitter Marmalade - very fine peel.

Marmalade

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Feb-14 11:02:14

Any Tiptree jam comes a close second to homemade. They use the same ingredients. Proper sugar - no glucose syrup.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Feb-14 10:58:53

I like Waitrose Essential marmalade with ginger when I run out of bought-from-church-lady stuff.

I have just had a marmalade sandwich whilst watching the rain through the window. Lovely! smile

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 10:53:37

I see there is a thread about making marmalade, but as I always buy mine, how about you say what your favourite bought marmalade is?Then I can try them all!Someone on here recommended Waitrose Organic M. which I did buy and liked [on the supermarket best foods thread.]However, there was rather too much peel for my taste. I also like the orange and tangerine that Wilkins and Sons [Tiptree]do and also the NO Peel by them. I want to try others though fine cut.I am like Paddington Bear, I have to have marmalde at some point in the day. smileWill you also recommend bought jam please?