Gransnet forums

Food

bell peppers

(7 Posts)
bichonmad Tue 25-Feb-14 06:39:57

i have been given quiet a lot of bell peppers (the sweet ones) in differant colours i cant eat them all so i would like to pickle them,i can find recipes for pickling chillies (they are a no go for me to hot )but not for sweet peppers does anyone know of any or where i can find some please thank you smile

MiceElf Tue 25-Feb-14 06:46:34

One excellent way to preserve them is to cut in half, remove the seeds add a little olive oil and cook on a baking tray in a high oven until the skins blister and turn dark brown. Immediately put them into a bowl and cover tightly with cling wrap. Then, after they have cooled a little, remove the cling wrap and the skins will come off easily. Pack into jars and cover with herb infused oil and add seeds or herbs of your choice. Fennel is good so are lovage seeds or garlic or paprika and so on. Cover and seal.

Ariadne Tue 25-Feb-14 12:07:07

Oh, I like that, *MiceElf^! Wonder who has got some sweet peppers...

nannyfran Tue 25-Feb-14 12:50:25

Thank you, MiceElf! My DH grew some last year and even though I tried my best, we still wasted a lot. Your recipe will be very handy this year.

rosequartz Tue 25-Feb-14 13:07:26

DD1's MIL has preserved them like that and I think SIL has done some as well when they have a glut. Very nice!

welshchrissy Tue 25-Feb-14 14:50:30

You can also deseed them and slice then freeze on a tray.No need to blanche or anything Ideal for stir fries. Grew a lot last summer and this has worked really well. I just grab a handful when needed.

bichonmad Tue 25-Feb-14 14:53:53

oh yum i am so going to do that thank you, do you know how long they keep for MiceElf, DD is asking [winking]