Gransnet forums

Food

"Seven a day"

(136 Posts)
BAnanas Wed 02-Apr-14 09:46:05

Anyone hitting the revised target of "seven a day" fruit and veg target? Has to be a higher ratio of vegetables I gather. I think baked beans and tinned tomatoes can be included as well as dried fruit and of course salad.

rosequartz Fri 11-Apr-14 20:26:46

grin

thatbags Fri 11-Apr-14 20:22:43

Balanced that is wink

thatbags Fri 11-Apr-14 20:22:02

Because here are my seven: dates and apricots (twice, in date slices), a small orange, a pear, some cranberries (in a cookie), parsnips and tomato (cooked in cream). Seven. Nae bother grin

Other than that, I've eaten two beef sausages and three cream crackers with cheese. And I've drunk lots of tea with milk.

smile

thatbags Fri 11-Apr-14 20:19:22

Yes!

rosequartz Fri 11-Apr-14 19:52:15

Does carrot cake count?

grannyisland Fri 11-Apr-14 19:34:36

I think advice in USA has been 7-9 portions for a long time. I have fruit for breakfast and the recent publicity has prompted me out of my laziness to get the soup pot out again!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 11-Apr-14 19:31:32

What was unethical in the Clara Davis experiment? The children were presented with a range of healthy foods to choose from. confused

And what is there to criticise in Dr Spock's child feeding advice? Again confused

Ana Fri 11-Apr-14 19:12:28

That's a shame, roses - you could have got a few decent 7 a day portions out of a cucumber to counteract all the rubbish yummy things! grin

rosesarered Fri 11-Apr-14 18:47:36

Ana no cucumber was in the trolley on that particular day, but a number of very yummy things were there, not grown on trees or in the ground.smile
JessM I didn't know that Mr. Spock had much time for writing, what with all his starship duties. grin

JessM Wed 09-Apr-14 07:05:10

Thank you nightowl. 1937. Astounding methodology. Unethical does not even cover it. Interesting isn't it that once Spock put reference to this in his writing it became so commonly referenced.

durhamjen Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:35

Impossible to do nutrition studies that are not epidemiological, I would think. They have to be done over a long time, as in the Oxford and Epic studies. The Epic study was to compare vegetarian/vegan diets with omnivore diets. I think it was for over 20 years; my husband and I were part of it.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, which includes dieticians, has just completed a study of over 72000 people examining the nutrient intake of all groups of eaters.
They discovered that the average protein and B12 intake was roughly the same for all groups. Vegans had a higher intake of iron than meat-eaters and their calcium intake was at the recommended daily dose.
They had a higher intake of vitamins and minerals and fibre, and a lower intake of fat. They were also the group within normal BMI range, whereas all the other groups were in the overweight range. Total energy intakes were similar for all groups.

nightowl Sat 05-Apr-14 22:56:03

Reading how this research was conducted, I suspect finding a balanced diet was the least of those children's problems!

nightowl Sat 05-Apr-14 22:54:05

Sorry I gave the wrong link. I think this is the original study.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1626509/

JessM Sat 05-Apr-14 22:14:30

That study with the children was done an awful long time ago and has been much quoted and misquoted over the decades. Anybody know what the original study was? All my books are packed away or given to oxfam last year.

nightowl Sat 05-Apr-14 22:13:00

Ana is right, the experiment involved very young children. This article doesn't seem to suggest there have been others.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=children+choose+a+balanced+diet&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

absent Sat 05-Apr-14 21:21:35

Not totally to the point but interesting. One of the large supermarket chains in New Zealand is now selling lottery tickets at the standard check-outs. There is already evidence that when there is a rollover less is spent on food. It does say something about people's priorities and healthy eating.

Ana Sat 05-Apr-14 20:29:37

As long as it had a decent-sized cucumber in it you'll be OK, roses! grin

rosesarered Sat 05-Apr-14 20:25:24

Just as well, as my trolley today in Sainsburys had a few guilty pleasures in it.grin

Aka Sat 05-Apr-14 20:15:15

Wonder how many have read this study. Isn't it based on the eating habits of over 60,000 people and their incidence of stroke and cancer?

The advice is offered. Take it or leave it, your choice. No Food Police checking your trolley at the checkout hmm

thatbags Sat 05-Apr-14 20:01:55

Bang on about epidemiological 'studies', jane, and vested interests.

Ana Sat 05-Apr-14 19:54:37

Must have been a different one I remember, jane.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Apr-14 19:53:01

Ana I think it was older children, and as Absent says, the observations were carried out over a period of time.
A balanced diet doesn't have to include all that wide a range of foodstuffs - there are many different sources of protein for example.

absent Sat 05-Apr-14 19:38:07

You are, of course, right janeainsworth. I think the experiment was done quite a while ago when ready meals were not so widely available and before a balanced diet meant a Big Mac in each hand.

Ana Sat 05-Apr-14 19:37:15

I seem to remember the children in the research experiment were very young, not much more than babies. Older children are more likely to be more convinced of their likes and dislikes and be averse to anything unfamiliar, so would not necessarily eat a balanced diet if they were allowed to choose what to eat.

janeainsworth Sat 05-Apr-14 19:31:27

Yes Absent I think that has been known for some time, that children will select for themselves a balanced diet over time.
However, what they are offered has to be balanced, and I am afraid there are many homes where what is on offer isn't balanced or nutritious.

Jess and Flickety I think the problem with the science of nutrition is that most of the evidence that is used is epidemiological, and so not robust, compared with randomised controlled trials.
The not very good evidence is then 'interpreted' by others with vested interests. That includes of course the Department of Health.