Gransnet forums

Food

Parsnips?

(29 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 03-Apr-14 07:52:44

I have a whole bag of parsnips in the fridge that need using. Not entirely sure why actually...we're not even that keen on them. Does anybody have any good ideas of what to do with them? Only thing I can think of is parsnip soup ...

thatbags Fri 04-Apr-14 08:04:30

Cuts out a lot of dross doing it this way and you get to chat to some pals. That'll do me any day.

One can always google as well.

thatbags Fri 04-Apr-14 08:03:29

And the ones they suggest are most likely tried and tested.

thatbags Fri 04-Apr-14 08:03:00

Because it's friendlier to talk to other gransnetters.

FlicketyB Fri 04-Apr-14 00:13:31

Why not google 'recipes for parsnips'? You will be overwhelmed with ideas.

thatbags Thu 03-Apr-14 19:54:35

The Parmesan parsnips were delish. Even Minibags ate some so they must have been good.

shysal Thu 03-Apr-14 19:04:14

annsixty, I must confess that I always increase the parmesan in the parsnip coating, but I am always over generous with cheese in my cooking, so didn't mention it.
I also use breadcrumbs with parmesan to coat fish, or chicken with the addition of paprika.

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 18:54:04

annsixty I meant the Parsnips Molly Parkin recipe. Re-reading the recipe on the link I posted, there do seem to be quite a few variations from the original that I used to use from the RD book.

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 18:30:25

I was slightly confused phoenix (it doesn't take much) as to whether you asked about the recipe or the book.Re the parsnips I blanche them instead of frying .Re the book, one of our real favourites is Haddock Barrie but using salmon fillets, it is one time when cheese and fish go really well together.

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 16:49:37

Back to the parsnips Molly Parkin, I don't do them as thinly as suggested in the recipe, I just cut them into pieces about the same size as thin chips, and I don't fry them to a mush either.

annsixty any other advice, as you have made them before from the same book as me, i.e. Readers Digest?

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 16:45:19

In view of this thread perhaps we should have had a little flutter on Parsnip Pete at Aintree today!

J52 Thu 03-Apr-14 16:13:35

Do extra when boiling or par boiling, keep for the next day and make croquettes - yum. My favourite vegetable. X

Gagagran Thu 03-Apr-14 14:36:30

We were our for lunch on Monday last and shared a starter of tapas - one of which was parsnip souffle and it was delicious. Don't have a recipe but there's probably one on the internet.

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 14:00:02

I have cooked Delia's parsnips and delicious they were but you are right bags there is too much flour to parmesan.It is trial and error as to your taste. We love parmesan.

thatbags Thu 03-Apr-14 12:00:43

Aberdeen Angus burgers

thatbags Thu 03-Apr-14 12:00:21

I have prepared some parsnips à la Delia for this evening's meal. They will be eaten with Aberdeen Angus made of beef, salt and black pepper and nothing else. Will prob do some broccoli florets as well.

And I'll report back.

I already think the recipe uses too much flour.

annodomini Thu 03-Apr-14 09:55:38

Parsnip chips. I have lost the recipe book but as far as I remember you parboil the chipped parsnips and toss in seasoned flour, fry until nicely browned. I'd drain the oil off in kitchen paper.

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 09:50:18

From memory bags the original uses some butter and double cream, but I'm inclined to agree with you!

It might seem a bit of a faff to prepare (skinning the tomatoes etc) but it doesn't really take long, and then you just bung it in the oven with the meat.

It is delish, ans so good to have it endorsed by someone else who has tried it! smile

thatbags Thu 03-Apr-14 09:46:37

That recipe looks yummy, phoenix, but after reading it my immediate thought was "less fat than what?" Looks like a high fat recipe to me.

Which is fine, by the way. Low fat blether is all bullshit anyhow.

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 09:45:39

I hope so too annsixty! I have already worked out that I will be able to come home at lunch time and pop the slow cooker on at least. We think the walk takes less than 5 minutes!

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 09:39:54

I have had the Readers Digest cookery year book for more years than I can possibly remember and use it regularly and the Molly Parkin parsnip recipe is indeed very good. Well recommended phoenix.I hope you have time for cooking when your new job kicks in.

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 09:37:33

That sounds amazing.

Anne58 Thu 03-Apr-14 09:32:15

Try Parnips Molly Parkin, it's really nice with roast lamb or pork.

Here is one version, there are others. The recipe I've always used in in one of the Readers Digest cookery books, might be the cookery year one.

www.grouprecipes.com/18969/parsnip-bake-modern-molly-parkin.html

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 09:30:04

Ooh! It did it automatically!

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 09:29:36

I can vouch for this

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12983/catherine-berwicks-parsnip-and-maple-syrup-cake

I love them roasted with a few onions, chopped and mixed into a little couscous with added herbs and spices.

Where's the link converter button?

shysal Thu 03-Apr-14 08:23:57

Try Delia's www.grouprecipes.com/76800/parmesan-baked-parsnips.html They are delicious with a roast or any meal. GCs always request them when they visit, and they are hard to please!