Gransnet forums

Food

Loose leaf tea.

(13 Posts)
Stillgood2go Mon 02-Jun-14 12:45:43

Can anyone recommend a brand of real loose leaf tea and where I can order/buy it from, the sort we used to get in the past and not the ground up stuff that passes for loose tea these days.
I had really nice cup recently but the girl in charge didn't know where it came from.
Thank you.

ninathenana Mon 02-Jun-14 15:14:23

Try the twinnings web site. Sorry I can't do a link on my phone.

DD buys loose leaf in Tesco but I'm not sure of the quality.

janeainsworth Mon 02-Jun-14 15:20:45

We have the deluxe Rington's, delivered by Paul the Rington's man. [posh emoticon]
But you can buy it from their website.
www.ringtons.co.uk/tea-c1/loose-tea-c4

FlicketyB Mon 02-Jun-14 15:30:15

Waitrose have a good range of country specific teas, all loose leaf.

suebailey1 Mon 02-Jun-14 16:52:32

DH enjoys jasmine tea from Sainsbury - nice large leaves.

annodomini Mon 02-Jun-14 17:22:28

Taylors of Harrogate do lovely loose teas. I am happy with Waitrose Ceylon for breakfast and Earl Grey for afternoon tea. Try Whittards' shops or web site for a wide variety of teas.

thatbags Mon 02-Jun-14 17:22:31

Whittard's Assam Harmutty is my favourite but they have lots of others and you can order online as well as buy from their shops.

Tresco Mon 02-Jun-14 18:45:13

Either Char in Winchester www.charteas.com or Cuttea Sark in Edinburgh do great loose leaf tea. Cuttea Sark don't seem to have a website, but I phoned them and ordered however many packets made up a kilo, as the postage was the same for one packet or for a kilo. Their Scottish blend has gone down very well with the tea-loving members of my family.
Char sells some very unusual teas, including some from Georgia (the ex-Soviet one, not the US one) which have been very popular. They are also delightful to talk to.

feetlebaum Thu 10-Jul-14 14:15:28

I use Twinings Assam - that's not a large leaf. You could always buy their Darjeeling for the size of the leaf - it always clogs the spout of my teapot when I'm emptying it. Darjeeling is a very delicate flavour - not necessarily what people here look for when making 'a nice cup of tea...'

NanKate Thu 10-Jul-14 15:12:01

I have been looking for a proper caddy spoon for ages and found one yesterday in a tiny charity shop for £1.00. It commemorates the King's (forgotten his name) Coronation in 1937.

Nanabelle Thu 10-Jul-14 15:22:08

I remember my mum's caddy spoon - a round brass one. The tea caddy was also a brass box with lid at the top. It was kept on the mantelpiece over the kitchen boiler. (One of those floor standing things that had to be fed with coke. Kept the kitchen lovely and warm in those days of no central heating but no hot water if mum forgot to keep it in overnight!)
The best ever loose tea we have had was from Harrods. It was years ago and a Christmas present. The leaves were so big you could tell they were once leaves. I do agree that most of today's leaf tea is very fine - not quite powder but not like when we were young!

janerowena Thu 10-Jul-14 15:25:31

I buy these for my mother.

www.fortnumandmason.com/c-1322-loose-leaf.aspx

I make up a hamper of things she likes for her birthday.

annodomini Thu 10-Jul-14 16:25:42

Taylor's of Harrogate have a good range of unblended teas. I buy Ceylon tea from Waitrose and Earl Grey as well. I use a Whittard's teapot with a removable filter, so there isn't a problem with leaves clogging up the spout