Gransnet forums

Food

Lidl's Spanish week

(20 Posts)
Mamie Sun 27-Jul-14 07:35:05

Patas bravas are really easy to do KatyK.
Our quick and easy meals here are always a variation on the theme of things like chorizo / potato / red pepper cooked in olive oil with eggs broken on top and stirred in at the end with some chopped parsley.

hildajenniJ Sat 26-Jul-14 20:39:23

Oh please, I'm salivating at the thought of all this lovely Spanish food. We don't have a Lidl in this area. My DH does all our shopping as he works in the local Co-op.sad

glammanana Sat 26-Jul-14 20:18:04

KatyK they do a range of daulphineoise type potatoes on their chilled counters in all different sauces for 89p plenty in a bag for two,try them if he likes patatas bravas he is sure to enjoy these and they have them all the time not just on special events.La Tasca coffee shops do patatas bravas as a snack if you are ever out shopping and need a pick me up.

KatyK Sat 26-Jul-14 18:08:38

We saw the Iberian stuff advertised in Lidl and hot footed down there as they were advertising patatas bravas which DH first sampled in Seville and loved. He has made them himself in the past but when he saw Lidl were selling them he was going to stock up. Unfortunately everyone else must have had the same idea and they were sold out. sad

Deedaa Sat 26-Jul-14 17:35:08

I had never tried gazpacho because the recipes seemed to be full of cucumber, which I hate. Then I had to make some at work, and obviously had to taste it before we put it on sale - absolute revelation! Summer in a bowl!!! I'll keep an eye out for Lidl's one.

Nelliemoser Sat 26-Jul-14 14:43:00

Gazpacho is very easy to make and lovely. Stick ingredients in a blender whiz, and chill.

glammanana Sat 26-Jul-14 14:23:52

I must make the effort to go to Lidl's to-morrow I adore Manchego.

Mamie Sat 26-Jul-14 14:20:22

I haven't opened the ham yet, but can confirm that the Manchego cheese is excellent. They have membrillo to go with it, but our quince tree is groaning with fruit again, so I don't need that!

glammanana Sat 26-Jul-14 14:14:33

I do love the Spanish weeks they have at Lidl I do wish they would do a jamon de serrano on a deli counter where you can taste the goods as they do in the Spanish Supermercardo's now that would be a real treat wouldn't it,swifty followed by a sample of the cheeses.grin

sparkygran Sat 26-Jul-14 14:02:22

Yesterday sampled Lidl`s Gazpacho soup it was delicious couldn`t tempt DH though. Also purchased some gorgeous French cheese and Italian wine. I am a recent convert to Lidl and find I just can`t keep away now love the speciality weeks

annodomini Sat 26-Jul-14 10:40:08

I did notice a vast area of Lidl being set up with Iberian meats and charcuterie. Not tempted, as I'm a veggie, but I might have a trip along the road to see what's left of the wine.

Mamie Sat 26-Jul-14 09:42:39

Deedea I am still buying up the fabulous Lidl's Prosecco. Nobody else in Normandy seems to want it. Sadly a few other people seem to know about Spanish wines. We tried the Ribero last night which was fantastic, so we went back for more today, but there were only three left.

Deedaa Fri 25-Jul-14 21:17:58

I haven't been to look at the Spanish stuff yet, but I would be embarassed to admit how much I spent when the Italian week was on blush they just had so much stuff that I either can't get any where else, or can't afford if I can.

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 12:35:49

Although it may not work with the Lidl whole jamon, we have in the past shared purchases with friends if there was too much for just us, for example a while ago they had onions at a bargain price in 5 kilo bags, and 10 kilo bags of basmati rice.

We split the purchase cost and shared the goods, worked really well.

Charleygirl Thu 24-Jul-14 12:34:50

annsixty I hope that you were not a cheapskate and did not buy?

ninathenana Thu 24-Jul-14 11:32:56

annsixty I'm off to M&S right now, to grab that bargain extortionate item.

Mamie Thu 24-Jul-14 11:12:06

Well they are only 49€ in Lidl! I did have some of the very expensive stuff at our son's wedding though and it was like nothing else I have ever tasted....

annsixty Thu 24-Jul-14 11:02:18

We do not have a local Lidl so should I be tempted by M+S who are offering a whole Iberican Ham for £350? grin

Anne58 Thu 24-Jul-14 10:49:09

Yes, it's on in UK Lidl's too Mamie! Some lovely items and real bargains.

Mamie Thu 24-Jul-14 10:15:32

Don't know if you have got Iberian week in the UK, but we have just had a lovely time in Lidl. We bought lots of wine, including commissions for our French neighbours who are on holiday, olive oil, cheeses, dates wrapped in bacon, chickpeas, salted almonds, tea towels and a whole jamon de serrano. There was an elderly French lady buying all sorts of things because she had never been abroad and never tried foreign food until Lidl came to town. I do enjoy their speciality weeks. I may need to invite the whole village for a slice of ham though....