Gransnet forums

Food

Unusual apple chutney recipe please.

(10 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 23-Sep-14 14:18:08

I feel as though I've made every apple chutney recipe i've ever collected. Does anyone have anything a bit out of the run of the mill? I've looked at JamesMartins apple and blackberry chutney but DH has made a face. I may ignore his face. I'm sure there must be something more exotic ? Persian? Indian? i'm in a rut

Mamie Tue 23-Sep-14 15:23:53

This year I made a "Triple A" chutney of Apple, Achocha (Peruvian peppery thing) and Aubergine (this is our best year ever for aubergines). I threw in chilli, cumin, coriander, tumeric, a whole dried lime, ginger, clove and cinammon as well as onion, garlic, vinegar etc.
I haven't tasted it yet!

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:46:17

www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mango-Chutney-230708

Damson is good too, if you can get hold of any. Or plums. Many of them have apples as the bulk ingredient.

Stansgran Tue 23-Sep-14 16:17:48

Mamie do you have the recipe or is it out of you imagination? I usually make a brinjal pickle with aubergines. Where do you get the achocha from? Thank you janeR but does it not ask for 3kilos of mangoes and not even the market has a glut of them!

Mamie Tue 23-Sep-14 16:29:21

I made it up Stansgran. We originally got the achocha from Garden Organic heritage seeds, but now we harvest our own every year. I think you could substitute green peppers though. I use rough quantities from my old WI book and throw in the spices I fancy. I am very into whole dried limes at the moment. You poke holes in them with a fork and throw them in, then take them out at the end. Delicious in a casserole.

merlotgran Fri 26-Sep-14 14:46:15

My favourite apple chutney is Apple, Date and Raisin. Eat your heart out, Mr. Branston.

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Sep-14 19:29:54

I tried to replicate DH's mother's marrow chutney after we were given a large marrow. All he could remember about it was that it had turmeric in. I googled it and found a recipe with marrow, apples, onions, mustard powder and turmeric and vinegar. I proceded to make eleven jars of it. When it was all put away in a cupboard to mature,DH says "I think it had ginger in it too!!

Icyalittle Fri 26-Sep-14 20:25:38

Mamie, how do you dry limes? My greengrocer always has cheap ones.
Apple and beetroot is good.

Marmight Mon 29-Sep-14 08:23:03

A couple of years ago at Christmas, I made a cranberry, apple and clementine chutney. It made good presents in mini Kilner jars, and seemed to be appreciated by the recipients (I am not known for my chutney-making abilities!)

Stansgran Mon 29-Sep-14 09:59:06

I love the mini Kilner jars. My litre ones I find too heavy now to bring down from the top shelf where they fester mature. I'm thinking of offering get rid of them as storage jars to DD2.