Gransnet forums

Food

Potato salad

(17 Posts)
lighty Mon 29-Sep-14 17:48:23

easy question - if u know the answer - what weight of potatoes would u need to make for a buffet for 15 people ?? It is obviously being served with other salads & various fish dishes

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Sep-14 18:14:54

No idea but I would reckon on about one heaped tablespoon per person. If they all had a portion, I would do about 15 medium potatoes. How large are you going to dice the pots? When I'm catering for a crowd I always end up making more than I need.smile

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 18:21:15

I always make extra - it's nice to have leftovers! Also some people (DBH) love potato salad and always have seconds. So I would probably go for 20 potatoes. If my sister was there I would go for 25, as it would be the only one she would eat!

Grannyknot Mon 29-Sep-14 18:28:29

You'd have to make extra if I was coming too! I'm always amazed at what is passed off as potato salad by the supermarkets in their 'ready made' salad departments (small rock hard potatoes with a smear of mayonnaise). Urgh.

One of the best tips I was given was many years ago by my aunt: add a good bit of mayonnaise to the boiled, diced potatoes when they are still warm, that way the mayo soaks into the potatoe. Then add some more mayo just before serving. Deliciousness awaits smile

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 18:37:00

I add it while still warm too, purely because it just seems to mix in so much easier. I make a week's worth at a time here when DBH&Son are both at home all summer. Also pasta salad, couscous salad, mixed salad - our fridge is a salad bar all summer long.

ffinnochio Mon 29-Sep-14 18:38:24

Salad waxy potatoes are usually smallish - so I would use 3kg - 3.5 kg This will be plenty I'm sure.

Icyalittle Mon 29-Sep-14 19:16:30

Grannyknot and janerowena thank goodness I'm not the only one to do the mayonnaise on warm potatoes thing. I thought it was a dirty family secret!
I think 20 medium potatoes would be right.

annsixty Mon 29-Sep-14 19:31:44

I have a cookbook with a chapter on "events catering" and a wedding breakfast for 12 people suggests 4lbs of small new potatoes for potato salad.Seems it would be plenty for 15 to me.

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 19:36:23

Mr P loves potato salad. I, on the other hand always feel as if it looks as if it has already been eaten once!confused

However I do make it and have been complimented on it in the past!

I think I would use the variety "charlotte" a very good, waxy potato with a good flavour.

I always add chopped chives to mine, but believe that not everyone does?

janerowena Mon 29-Sep-14 20:32:21

I do. Or baby leek thinnings, if I have them.

lighty Wed 01-Oct-14 15:43:24

Thanks for your tips - incidentally I stir a small amount of olive oil into the warm potatoes, it soaks in and gives a lovely flavour & then add the Mayo when almost cold ��

Anya Wed 01-Oct-14 16:08:41

My favourite potato for salad is Nicola if you can find them. Agree about chopped chives or leek trimming too.

Grannyknot Wed 01-Oct-14 16:27:29

I don't know the different varieties of potato well enough, but I'd never use a waxy one, you want something that will soak up the mayo, not just coat the potato (or I do anyway).

Deedaa Wed 01-Oct-14 21:42:06

We have an American friend who lives in Italy. Every year he holds a barbecue and one of his American friends brings a potato salad. As well as potatoes and mayonnaise it contains onions, chopped eggs, sliced frankfurters and gherkins. I could happily sit and eat a whole bowl of it.

annodomini Wed 01-Oct-14 22:01:19

phoenix I also add chopped chives to potato salad. And often some lemon juice to the mayo.

petra Thu 02-Oct-14 20:56:42

I don't cook but I'm very good on salads and side dishes. I've often done the one with eggs and gerkins. Try it with smoked sausage. Another one is adding curry powder to the mayo. Anchovies can work as well.

lighty Thu 16-Oct-14 15:41:21

For future information - I cut up all the potatoes I thought of using and then before cooking put them into little individual "portion" piles - worked well - still have to much thought - but still yummy next day!! Thanks guys