Gransnet forums

Food

What shall I bake?

(15 Posts)
TrillianAstra Sat 11-Oct-14 10:19:49

Not cupcake s

I have friends coming round later, I want to make something cakey, but one of them doesn't like nuts or fruit (boring).

Suggestions from Gransnetters (and/or homeless Mumsnetters)?

baubles Sat 11-Oct-14 10:24:05

This Lemon drizzle cake.

shabby Sat 11-Oct-14 10:37:59

If Gransnetters has any tried and tested recipes for low fat/fatless cakes I would be really grateful. DH has just been told he has high cholesterol but he does love a piece of homemade cake in the afternoons. He has a pretty tough time anyway with various health/mobility issues and really looks forward to his afternoon treat.

Teetime Sat 11-Oct-14 10:52:55

I make all my cakes etc with Flora anyway. Has he been told to avoid dietary fat as well as so often it doesn't make any difference. Mr Teetime has a mega cholesterol (well treated and managed) and dietary fat in the form of the occasional piece of cake made with Flora doesn't make any difference to his levels.

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 10:57:41

shabby (I might have said this to you on MN? Forgive me if I have!)

Have a look at this BOOK and Escape the Diet Trap by John Briffa (not all about diets & both are easy reading).

They are both really good at explaining all things cholesterol related and why it's not actually an issue.

My cholesterol went down when I was low carbing (eating lots of cheese/cream/nuts/butter etc). The old fashioned eat less butter is rubbish.

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 10:59:59

But back to the thread...

How about Scones Trill - you really can't go wrong with scones smile YUM.

If you want 'cake' though... hmmm how about a lovely, moist chocolate cake (with whisky/brandy/rum to make it moist).

TrillianAstra Sat 11-Oct-14 11:01:31

Is that the ultimate lemon drizzle cake, as recommended by gransnetters? grin

I'd also be interested in lower-calorie cakes, ideally through the recipes including different things (fruit, veg, etc) rather than through using butter substitutes.

shabby Sat 11-Oct-14 11:01:50

Thanks teetime I will try using Flora when baking. We have been given no advice other than he must have a low fat diet and take statins. I am currently researching high cholesterol on the internet but we follow a very healthy diet as it is.

TrillianAstra Sat 11-Oct-14 11:02:35

Ah, see now I don't like booze in cakes/chocolate (I'd rather have it on the side).

Scones with proper clotted cream and jam are lovely...

Do you have a preferred chocolate cake recipe?

shabby Sat 11-Oct-14 11:39:24

Thanks ChippinIn have just ordered both books.

ChippingIn Sat 11-Oct-14 11:40:52

Great Shabby smile I hope you get something out of them.

granjura Sat 11-Oct-14 12:05:46

Has anyone got the recipe for the rubbed in lemon drizzle cake- lost mine and can't find one. It gives a more crumbly texture. Please?

Don't want to highjack thread, but may I ask for advice from you bakers. Got an event here tomorrow and want to make Eve's Puddings with apple and cinnamon. Can I make this evening in advance, or will it go soggy? Thanks again.

Teetime Sat 11-Oct-14 13:41:35

trillian I've always halved the sugar in cake recipes with no adverse effect - we prefer things less sweet on the whole.

TrillianAstra Sat 11-Oct-14 14:34:51

I discovered a jar of cherry jam that needs eating so I'm not taking anyone's advice and just making a sponge with jam in th middle. I may go crazy and have buttercream as well.

Teetime Sat 11-Oct-14 14:44:06

now you've made me want cake and I was giving it up until Xmas!!!