Gransnet forums

Food

Rosehips - use of

(12 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 17-Oct-14 22:19:48

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the gardening thread, but here goes (because I want to eat them!) We've bought a house which we are renovating for the rental market. It was a probate purchase and the garden is lovely and has largely been left unattended as far as pruning etc goes. There are several large sprawling rose bushes in the garden covered in fat gorgeous rosehips. I fancy harvesting them and making something. Firstly I'd welcome some suggestions as to what to make; and secondly I've read that I have to prepare them thoroughly as the husk is covered in unpalatable hairs. Not sure how to do that, it sounds as if it could be very labour intensive!

All comments gratefully received.

newist Fri 17-Oct-14 22:30:44

Grannyknot we are gathering rose hips to make wine, its lovely. you can also make rose hip syrup which is full of vitamin C

janerowena Fri 17-Oct-14 22:35:15

Also rosehip jam, or rosehip and apple jelly. Rosehip soup. Be sure to get rid of all the hairy pips and bits, they can irritate horribly inside if you don't.

Grannyknot Sat 18-Oct-14 07:50:32

Thanks both. I have some more questions please smile How do you get rid of the hairs and pips? What part of the rosehip do you actually use?

janerowena Sat 18-Oct-14 10:05:38

Top and tail each rosehip, I use scissors, cut each in half and scoop out its innards. Time-consuming and fiddly but worth it. Of course for wine you don't need to you can strain them.

Anne58 Sat 18-Oct-14 10:32:10

I think you can use the innards to make itching powder grin

janerowena Sat 18-Oct-14 12:24:33

So no waste at all then. grin

annsixty Sun 19-Oct-14 09:40:00

Off topic again but I love the way threads on here bring back memories.I was at school during the 39/45 war and lived in the country,through the schools we were encouraged to pick rosehips. We took them to school where they were weighed and we were paid 3d for each pound gathered. Such happy memories of childhood.

hildajenniJ Sun 19-Oct-14 10:22:37

phoenix grin You've taken me right back to school days! All the kids I associated with made itching powder from the rosehips. Fun!!

Marmight Sun 19-Oct-14 10:59:25

homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blrosehips.htm
This is quite an interesting site. May be of help.

yogagran Sun 19-Oct-14 13:30:20

I may apple & rosehip jelly, so delicious that you don't even need to spread it onto anything, just spoon it straight from jar to mouth!
I don't bother to halve them or anything, just wash, put into a pan with a little water, bring to the boil, use a potato masher to break them up. Add some apple and cook till soft then strain through a jelly bag into another bowl and make up as usual

Grannyknot Sun 19-Oct-14 13:34:40

Fab, thanks everyone!