Gransnet forums

Food

Mangoes

(9 Posts)
Teetime Sat 18-Oct-14 15:41:49

I really like mango but I never do anything more than chop it up and serve with Greek yogurt - has anyone got any interesting serving/ cooking suggestions please?

annsixty Sat 18-Oct-14 16:17:02

Teetime mango is lovely chopped in a version of "coronation chicken"I do not have the recipe to hand but if you can imagine replacing any fruit you would have used with mango it is very good.

Joelise Sat 18-Oct-14 16:18:46

Teetime try mango & chopped stem ginger on top of a Pavlova, it's delicious! Also, lovely in a frut salad with pineapple & green grapes.

Allotmenteer Sat 18-Oct-14 16:25:26

I recently made some very tasty mango chutney, I found the recipe on the Internet. It was quick & easy - except for peeling & chopping the mangoes - does anyone have a fail safe way to do this without getting covered in juice?

ffinnochio Sat 18-Oct-14 16:54:33

Mango salsa is another fine way using them.

rosequartz Sat 18-Oct-14 17:05:27

Mango and chicken curry.

DD1 probably has umpteen recipes as they grow them (and they are just so delicious straight from the tree.)
I have seen DD1 and SIL cut up mangoes by cutting around lengthways just off the centre to avoid the stone, then cutting the flesh (still on the skin) into small cube shapes, flip it so the flesh is upwards - it can then be taken off the skin very easily. You can then take off the remainder left around the stone quite easily.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLdPjpELyU

TriciaF Sat 18-Oct-14 20:45:27

I once had mango icecream at a friend's house, but I don't know how she made it.
It was delicious.

Agus Sat 18-Oct-14 21:08:23

Mango sorbet, mango, ginger and apple fresh juice. I also have it in a mixed salad and with cereal in the morning.

annodomini Sat 18-Oct-14 21:27:00

Love a fresh mango. My worst exploit as a cook was when I bought some green mangoes in Mombasa market and decided to make chutney with them. They turned out to be horrible and fibrous but I persevered and gave the jars to my boyfriend. I never saw them again, but he stayed. Worse luck.