Gransnet forums

Food

Cake Icing

(10 Posts)
pompa Sun 09-Nov-14 17:38:34

Take a look at this amazing real time video.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=864193300287912&video_source=pages_finch_main_video

Deedaa Sun 09-Nov-14 18:12:05

Hmm! Me decorating DD's wedding cake didn't go quite like that! Still everyone ate it grin For my Christmas cake (which is in the oven as I write) I usually go for a roughed up "snow" effect that covers a multitude of sins!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 09-Nov-14 21:30:57

Wish I could do that.

It looked better without all those wiggly bits on top.

ninathenana Sun 09-Nov-14 23:55:32

me too jings

I agree about the squiggles.

Teetime Mon 10-Nov-14 12:47:10

How clever although I agree too much on it I think but so skilful. I would do with tips please for cake icing I haven't done more than a rough snow scene for years and as I am taking a cake to my DD this year and her in laws will be there I thought I would try icing it properly. I have bought a new icing set for the purpose. Please don't suggest fondant icing I hate the taste of it and it makes it looks shop bought.

annodomini Mon 10-Nov-14 13:11:09

The gadgets on the Lakeland web site make it all seem so easy. If I was making a Christmas cake this year, this is what I would buy!

whenim64 Mon 10-Nov-14 13:39:19

Yes, Lakeland is great for icing stuff and the cut-outs of snowflakes, Christmas trees etc make everything look so professional. I love wandering round in that store.

Teetime Mon 10-Nov-14 14:59:03

Good idea - I bought my new icing set on line form Lakeland - sadly we don't have one here but if we did I would be bankrupt - I shall look it up now - snowflake sounds nice. Thank you.

annodomini Mon 10-Nov-14 16:02:29

Just been there, when. Got some of those caddies that nelliemoser told us about. I have been clearing shelves in one of my cupboards to install them there and have found no fewer than five bottles of vanilla extract and one jar of vanilla paste. Well, it's 8 years since I had the kitchen refitted. hmm

rubysong Tue 11-Nov-14 11:30:12

Shimmer spray is wonderful stuff. I did last year's C cake with fondant (sorry Teetime ) and cut out snowflakes with Lakeland gadget, some of which I sprayed with shimmer. I'll probably do the same again this year.