Gransnet forums

Food

Sergeant Peppermint's Chocolate Button Cake

(7 Posts)
tiggypiro Fri 12-Dec-14 19:07:22

Have you any photographs of the 5th birthday party Lablander ?

Lablander Fri 12-Dec-14 18:50:08

A belated thank you to Geraldine62 and ninathenana - since I posted I've been looking at recipes and topping (and fillings) and I now have the makings - I hope - of a very grown-up version of that cake! I'm pretty sure that the daughter (and the daughter;s husband) will love it!

Geraldine62 Mon 01-Dec-14 14:22:31

ninathenana is right, it's the thought that counts,

Tell your daughter that you have tried to re-create the original if she doesn't twig, (my guess is she will,) and if she mentions that it's not the same (which she won't) tell her you've tweaked it for the 21st century!

Most of all have fun creating good luck smile

ninathenana Mon 01-Dec-14 00:00:53

Would your DD remember what it looked like, from all those years ago ?

Probably not, go ahead and improvise. After all, it's the though that counts smile

Lablander Sun 30-Nov-14 16:32:55

Thank you Geraldine62 - that's the problem, I can't remember what it looked like! I do remember, however, that the peppermint icing was buttercream (topping and filling), so I can make that. And if the search fails, I'll just improvise - but it would be a lovely surprise to reproduce the original exactly!

Geraldine62 Sun 30-Nov-14 14:57:42

Hi Lablander,

If you can remember what it looked like, just make a cake, red velvet or otherwise, flavour & colour some fondant icing add the buttons and away you go!
you can buy mint flavouring in stores or online these days, or in your local sugarcraft shop, good luck! cupcake smile

Lablander Sun 30-Nov-14 14:46:45

I made this as a birthday cake for my daughter in about 1970 . . . and now I want to make it again for my daughter's 50th birthday! But, for the life of me, I can't remember where I found the recipe (maybe one of my ma's Woman's Weekly cookbooks?), although I do remember the green coloured peppermint-flavoured icing and the chocolate buttons. Google searches have produced nothing so posting here just in case anyone else can remember making this cake and, even better, if anyone still has the recipe . . .