Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free - tips and products.

(13 Posts)
kittylester Tue 02-Dec-14 18:17:29

I know some of us have to follow a gluten free diet and I have started this thread in the hope of being pointed in the direction of products that I haven't come across and any tips for substitutions that anyone knows about as being GF can be quite restricting.

GN are happy for us to name products if we don't do links so, here goes:

I have just come across a range of pies and quiches called No G which, I think are fantastic. They are for sale in our enormous Sainsburys but not in the middling sized one!

Has anyone else come across a really good GF product?

Kiora Tue 02-Dec-14 18:25:31

Burgers and sausages from M&S and waitrose. All the so called gluten free bread is awful though and very very expensive. Unless of course anyone of you know different. Ps kittylester thanks for starting the thread

merlotgran Tue 02-Dec-14 18:29:27

I agree about GF bread being awful. I make bread with Spelt flour which is low in gluten and delicious.

I don't have a full blown gluten intolerance but have IBS which is helped by following a diet as low in gluten as possible.

durhamjen Tue 02-Dec-14 22:54:01

There are some very tasty gluten free wraps by Warburtons, but if I want gluten free I tend to eat rice cakes or corn cakes.
I like Village Bakery rye bread to give a rest from wheat, and pasta is always gluten free, either Dove's Farm or Seeds of Change.
Last week my grandson was making spelt bread, measuring all the ingredients into the breadmaker, and I realised it had started leaking through the bottom. I thought it was a bit dangerous to use it, so tipped everything back into a bowl and he kneaded it properly, and we made it in the traditional way. Later I asked him if I should buy another pan for the bread machine, and he said he enjoyed doing it the other way. A baker in the making. Shame he still wants to be an engine driver.

rosesarered Tue 02-Dec-14 22:57:21

I bake cakes using Dove flour , they are really nice. Sainsburys do a good pizza, expensive and you need to add more topping, but tastes fine.Haven't found any good bread really but Genius is the best.

kittylester Wed 03-Dec-14 06:59:17

Bread is awful isn't it! I like the wraps too and Warburtons Thins. I add toppings to the Sainsburys pizza but most of the pizza chains do gf now!

I use Henderson's Yorkshire Relish instead of Worcester sauce and Tamari instead of soy. Mallory stock cubes are good and most, if not all, sweet mandarins products are gf!

frankie74 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:43:06

littonlarder.com/

They do a range of gluten free puddings (Penny's Puds). Highly recommended, and I think you can get them by mail order

Marmight Thu 04-Dec-14 19:44:47

I bought a gluten free pud at Ikea for when my SiL comes at Christmas. I will be reading this thread with interest for any helpful ideas..........j

kittylester Thu 04-Dec-14 20:28:43

The litton larder are really good! But we are not supposed to do links!! Xx

Agus Thu 04-Dec-14 21:01:38

I bought a product in Waitrose yesterday called Choc Shot made by a company called Sweet Freedom. It is a squeezy bottle of liquid chocolate which can be used as a spread, hot chocolate/milk shakes or drizzling over puddings. I made a hot chocolate drink with soya milk last night and it was delicious. It is Gluten free, Dairy free and suitable for Vegans. This is their website chocshot.co.uk

frankie74 Thu 04-Dec-14 21:20:17

oops. sorry for link. didn't realise

Agus Thu 04-Dec-14 22:15:49

I'm sure I remember clicking on links for other products on Gnet confused

durhamjen Thu 04-Dec-14 22:23:14

I buy lots of stuff from a company called Ethical Superstore (and I'm sure I've put a link on before!) They have lots of GF biscuits and other delicious goods. It looks as though all their GF Christmas cakes and puds have sold out. Shame.