Gransnet forums

Food

getting into the Christmas spirit! [early]

(46 Posts)
rosesarered Mon 15-Dec-14 17:23:06

I don't know about you, but we opened a bottle of Baileys 2 weeks ago, and sadly it's all gone now, so another bottle [or two] is needed. I also fancy some advocaat too, and a good Scotch [not to mix, BTW.]Can anyone recommend a good advocaat? tchsmile

Nonnie Wed 17-Dec-14 09:44:35

Ana must do some research into whether fizzy has greater effects than still, how much do I need to drink to make the results meaningful?

durham they have made DH do it again, twice. Yes we are worried.

durhamjen Tue 16-Dec-14 22:21:59

Should be interesting for those who check the tests, pompa. On the other hand, they might just make you do it again.

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 22:08:42

Think we're getting our 'tests' a bit confused here, pompa...tchgrin

pompa Tue 16-Dec-14 22:06:26

It's only the routine home test, just though I could put a bit of sparkle into the test.

rosesarered Tue 16-Dec-14 21:55:14

Ana I should have read all the posts first.Of course you have never tested this theory, I believe you [thousands wouldn't!] tchsmile

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 21:50:55

Yes - that's what I suggested to Nonnie upthread, roses - I had heard that fizz gets you drunker, but have never tested the theory myself of course...tchwink

rosesarered Tue 16-Dec-14 21:48:35

I'm not really a big fan of sherry [Mr Roses loves it, and buys dry sherry]
he used to buy Harveys Bristol Cream years ago, then found it too sweet.
There IS a chocolate flavour Baileys, but we like the normal one, so haven't tried it [or the mint.]
Has anyone noticed that fizzy alchohol gets you light headed much faster?One glass of champagne [when I can get my hands on it] has me weaving about all over the place.Not that it's always a bad thing!wine

rosesarered Tue 16-Dec-14 21:43:59

bookdreamer thanks, yes, Warninks, that takes me back a bit [to my mum too!] Didn't realise you could still buy it, so I must get a bottle, and you are right, it can't be contaminated with lemonade.tchgrin
Good luck with your test pompa it must be very worrying, so do hope all will be well for you.tchsmile
How does Mary Berry stay so slim?

papaoscar Tue 16-Dec-14 21:24:15

Nay, just shiny stools! Good luck with the test.

NanKate Tue 16-Dec-14 21:23:53

Pompa I am just watching Paul and Mary. Mary looks her usual elegant self, however Paul looks rather porky and not the lothario he is made out to be.

pompa Tue 16-Dec-14 21:12:29

Totally off thread.

just watching Mary Berry cover her Christmas fare with edible glitter (I hate glitter in every form).

Just a though, but if you eat glitter, do you get glittery poos?

If you do I will have to eat some just before the bowl cancer test I am due.

suzied Tue 16-Dec-14 19:49:05

Anyone into Aperol? It's a great drink. I got into it in Italy. Aperol( a bit like an orangey Campari), prosecco , soda water, ice and a slice of orange. Yum.
You can buy it in supermarkets here.

FlicketyB Tue 16-Dec-14 19:29:38

Ah, Sloe Gin. Part of our Christmas preparations is the decanting and bottling of this year's sloe gin. It was done last weekend and each evening; well, just a LEETLE tincture. Christmas has arrived.

annodomini Tue 16-Dec-14 17:12:02

I've wrapped all the presents, but now I have to get them all to Sandhurst by train. Where's Santa's sleigh when I need it?

bookdreamer Tue 16-Dec-14 16:14:50

rosesarered. There is only one advocaat. Warninks. It's such a Christmas drink for me. Reminds me of my mum. Has to be neat, no lemonade and cold.

Nonnie Tue 16-Dec-14 16:05:13

Yes, it was fizzy! Still haven't done the presents as I went out to lunch with a friend (well it started as coffee but sort of expanded) and as she was driving......................................

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 15:51:59

Oh dear - perhaps it was the fizz!

(If it was fizzy, of course)

Nonnie Tue 16-Dec-14 15:47:30

NanKate and Ana however many units it was it put me out of action for the rest of the night! DH gave me a glass of wine with dinner and I had to decline! I am a very cheap night out! tchgrin

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 15:30:02

It's only abour 4 units each, NanKate - got to get in practice before the main event! tchgrin

NanKate Tue 16-Dec-14 15:22:59

Oh Nonnie you have made me laugh grin. So you shared a bottle of Prosecco - I would have been under the table with that amount between two.

I am wrapping the presents now (well taking a little break to look up GN)and am sorely tempted to have a slurp along the way. hmm

Ana Tue 16-Dec-14 15:13:40

Perhaps not so good in tea? tchgrin

I don't drink coffee, but I like the flavour!

KatyK Tue 16-Dec-14 15:08:18

You can buy those Baileys chocolate lollipops to stir your coffee with, so you have the taste of Baileys in your drink tchsmile

nonnasusie Tue 16-Dec-14 11:41:19

I a recipe from a friend for a chocolate (or choc & coffee ) liqueur! The only problem being it's made with 95 per cent alcohol (not available in U.K9 and milk so it doesn't keep!!tchgrin

POGS Tue 16-Dec-14 11:32:22

tiggypiro

I probably go for 50/50 with ice.

Experiment away. grin

Nonnie

Crikey that sounds sickly!

whenim64 Tue 16-Dec-14 11:06:25

Prosecco with Chambord black raspberry liqueur! Is it too early? grin