Gransnet forums

Food

yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner?

(23 Posts)
willsandco Tue 23-Dec-14 19:07:56

I never, ever serve Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner! I got married in April and my new husband says he always has them - his wife cooked them. We have my children and his children and all the family for dinner. My side don't have them, his side do? So what do I do? I just cant be bothered making batter and having to keep an oven hot while there is so much else going on? I don't think they go with a traditional Christmas dinner - do you agree or not?

TerriBull Tue 23-Dec-14 19:22:08

willsandco if you are cooking the dinner do it your way. Like you, my husbands' parents served Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner, but my family only had them with roast beef. My children like them with any roast. I'm not serving them with the Christmas turkey, we are having roast potatoes, roast parsnips, roast carrots, Brussel sprouts, spiced red cabbage, peas, devils on horseback, stuffing and cranberry sauce. No room at the Inn for the Yorkshire puddings!

tanith Tue 23-Dec-14 19:22:39

We always have Yorkshires with Christmas dinner sorry its traditional in our house.. if you can't be bothered with the batter just bUY them frozen and just need cooking, those that want them will get them and those that don't have no need to eat them. I shove them in when the roasts are almost done and meat is being carved.

Lona Tue 23-Dec-14 19:25:26

Hi willsandco, nice to see you tchsmile
I would just get a large bag of Aunt Bessies' frozen yorkshires, which only take about 3/4 minutes in the oven, and pile them on a hot plate on the table!
Make sure you get plenty of help in the kitchen too smile

Mishap Tue 23-Dec-14 19:28:56

Yorkshire pud taste great with everything - go for the frozen ones and make life easy. People can have them or not as they choose.

Happy Christmas to you all!

Greyduster Tue 23-Dec-14 20:03:48

It's the only roast dinner I don't do yorkshires with - except to do a couple of Auntie Bessie's ones for GS, who will not eat potatoes in any form, so it's always a welcome addition to his plate on Christmas Day.

soontobe Tue 23-Dec-14 20:58:42

No I dont do yourkshire puds.

But I would do them if I were you.
It is obviously part of their tradition.

kittylester Tue 23-Dec-14 21:12:55

I agree with soontobe and Auntie Bessie's are simple!!

janeainsworth Tue 23-Dec-14 21:12:59

Hello Willsandco, good to see you backtchsmile
What Lona said tchgrin
I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Soutra Tue 23-Dec-14 21:25:30

willsandco how nice to hear from you!! If you are in charge in the kitchen, have the h**l what you want and if anybody wants different, they can do it! You are not a restaurant.
Wishing you and yours a very very special Christmas x

merlotgran Tue 23-Dec-14 22:00:26

I would go down the Aunt Bessie route as well, willsandco. Keep everyone happy and then you'll have a triumphant day tchwink

If you haven't got time to nip out and buy them I'd resort to the tried and tested caterer's trick. Make them on Christmas Eve, leave them in a cooling oven so they 'set' and don't sink, then you can either keep them in an airtight tin or pop them in the freezer overnight and voila, you will have perfectly shaped Yorkies that will only need warming up. tchgrin

I hope you have a great Christmas wine

Agus Tue 23-Dec-14 22:00:40

Lovely to hear from you willsandco As the Aunt Bessie ones sound quick and easy perhaps your DH could be in charge of placing them in the oven for 3/4 mins..time to delegate this job to those who want them.

Best wishes to all of you.

Grannyknot Tue 23-Dec-14 22:25:40

Hi Wills (waves) - my family love them, we have roast rib of beef on Christmas day (can't stand turkey - those huge drumsticks, yuk) and a ham, and a "stuffing wreath" - I buy the freshly-made (not frozen) ones; and they cook in 2 minutes. They're yummy.

POGS Tue 23-Dec-14 22:29:38

blush

There will be Yorkshire puds on our Xmas dinners, I would be booted out if there wasn't, a firm family favourite must have with all meats and poultry.

No shame some people. grin

Ana Tue 23-Dec-14 22:40:04

You don't have to have the huge drumsticks, Grannyknot, we always have a turkey crown.

As for yorkshire puddings - why not? Anything goes as far as I'm concerned, but agree about not faffing about with batter mix, get the frozen or fresh ready-made ones wills&co and have a jolly good Christmas! tchsmile

grannyactivist Tue 23-Dec-14 23:10:48

Hi wills, nice to 'see' you. Do you know what? I honestly can't remember if I usually do Yorkshire puds or not. Hmm, I'll have to ask my son tomorrow.

glassortwo Tue 23-Dec-14 23:19:50

Hi wills good to see you. Get some Aunt Bessies then you dont have the worry of cooking them. we dont have them on Christmas day but everyone to their own,

harrigran Tue 23-Dec-14 23:33:57

Hello wills, I don't serve Yorkshires if I am cooking but we often get them when having Christmas lunch in a hotel.
I love the idea of ready made puddings as they heat up quickly and always turn out perfect.

Anne58 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:26:48

willsandco truly lovely to see you posting again! tchsmile

My dear, just do whatever feels right, if you feel that to go with the Yorkies is right, then do it, but as others have said, serving the "Aunt Bessies" or any other brand of ready done one's is not a bloody hanging offence!

kittylester Wed 24-Dec-14 07:08:56

And there are gf ones available!

We take the drumsticks off the turkey, bone, stuff and tie them up. They roast quickly and are great for people who like the dark meat like DH!

Gagagran Wed 24-Dec-14 07:57:18

Happy Christmas wills - so good to see you posting. I'm Yorkshire born and bred and we would NEVER serve Yorkshire pud. with Christmas dinner because it's usually served with gravy as a starter. Too filling for a Christmas dinner starter for sure.

However, if you choose to serve them as an "add-on" to the main event then go for it - you are the hostess and obviously want to please your guests/family. (And yes - Aunt Bessie's are very nice)

Faye Wed 24-Dec-14 07:59:09

This year I am in Queensland for Christmas and we will be having Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner. I think your DH's children will be disappointed not to have them, I know I would be. I hope you are having some help with the cooking willsandco, and I wish you a Merry Christmas tchsmile

grannyactivist Thu 25-Dec-14 00:26:40

wills I'm curious - what did you do about Yorkshires in the end?