Gransnet forums

Food

How can I dispose of a pan of dahl?

(64 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 17:09:00

There is no way I am going to eat it. And I'm not feeding it to anyone else either. It is truly horrible.

And I didn't know you had to wash lentils. And I remember now why I don't buy lentils.

I suppose it will have to be a leak proof poly bag.

It took me ages round Waitrose to find all those ingredients. sad

feetlebaum Wed 08-Apr-15 22:09:28

Don't you recycle food waste in your neck of the woods?

I too am fond of dal, whether red lentils or any of the other kinds... simple and quick to make. I cheat to the extent of adding a veg stock cube to the lentils as they are originally cooked, then it's tempered cumin seeds, onion, chopped green chilli and garlic, then salt and turmeric and finally the lentils.

loopylou Wed 08-Apr-15 21:46:55

By now it's probably made it's own way to wherever unwanted Dahl goes! envy

annodomini Wed 08-Apr-15 21:29:54

The dahl that unsettled my innards last week is now on the compost heap. Don't know what the worms there will make of it though.

Marelli Wed 08-Apr-15 20:53:03

Exactly, Ana! grin

Ana Wed 08-Apr-15 20:48:58

After all, that's where most of it would have ended up anyway! grin

durhamjen Wed 08-Apr-15 20:48:27

You haven't still got it, have you jingl? Not even I would eat it after all this time!

Marelli Wed 08-Apr-15 20:47:38

It'll have been festering a bit by now, but the loo might be the best bet (especially now)! grin

Ariadne Wed 08-Apr-15 20:37:33

There you are! 3 months too late, but hey....!

Dara Wed 08-Apr-15 18:20:14

Put it down the toilet.

glassortwo Sat 31-Jan-15 20:42:07

Mmmmm I love dhal just spice it up a bit jingle I use lentils in home made soups, curry's, casseroles etc.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 20:35:54

you can get ready peeled red onions from Ocado. They are not ready sliced though.

Ana Sat 31-Jan-15 19:28:20

Perhaps it was just general advice as to personal hygiene? Waitrose takes its responsibility to its customers very seriously!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:24:39

jinglbellsfrocks

I'm sorry Cari darling, but these are Waitrose Love Life ones and it says on the bag, "wash thoroughly".

Never mind. All is well. smile

EEK!!!!! Well we are all still alive which is something then

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 19:23:58

I use a little oil - fry sliced red onion, grated ginger and finely sliced garlic with a little chilli and some salt til it's soft. Add the red lentils and water and simmer for about 20 mins stirring regularly. When it's ready stir in some lime juice and (if there is any in the fridge - usually forget) top with freshly chopped coriander. You should technically add cumin at the spice stage but I'm not a fan.

TriciaF Sat 31-Jan-15 19:12:16

I make it sometimes and all I use is oil onions, red lentils and stock. Sometimes cumin and coriander.
If it had be solid I would say cut it in slices and fry it - that's what my Mum used to do with pease pudding.

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 16:44:35

Several nice meaty broths then, jings. You could freeze (could have frozen) it in portions.

And then tossed them out when you defrosted the freezer and found you hadn't used them up grin

Retiredguy Sat 31-Jan-15 15:03:52

Those green 'Puy' Lentils are delicious.
Tesco do them in tins or you can buy dried.
We generally use tinned.
Nice in soups and broths even or just as a side
Mrs Retiredguy always washes red lentils.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:48:33

Bags there was a huge amount of the stuff.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:47:36

Mwah!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 31-Jan-15 14:46:30

I'm sorry Cari darling, but these are Waitrose Love Life ones and it says on the bag, "wash thoroughly".

Never mind. All is well. smile

thatbags Sat 31-Jan-15 14:17:43

Chuck your failed dahl into a nice meaty broth, jings.

Ariadne Sat 31-Jan-15 13:19:04

I use lentils a lot, (like dj I'm vegetarian) and I always have a few tins of them in the cupboard too - I really like them. I'd also endorse using the garlic and ginger pastes, because it it easier but also because I don't often cook the same quantities as I did when everyone lived at home. (Sighs of relief)

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 31-Jan-15 13:17:11

I guess it depends on the lentils - I always use red ones from supermarkets (Tesco or Waitrose generally) and haven't come across a problem yet. I chuck them into soups all the time too. But other pulses are often bigger and dustier.

durhamjen Sat 31-Jan-15 12:28:53

The man who lived next door to us and made us chickpea curries and dhals was a Ugandan Asian who was expelled by Idi Amin, merlot, so he probably would have wanted the tapioca when he was a child.

merlotgran Sat 31-Jan-15 11:23:06

Ana and *Lona's posts remind me of receiving a clip round the ear from my grandmother for being cheeky. I was staring at a bowl of tapioca pudding which I absolutely hated while she lectured about the starving children in Africa.

She was not impressed when I said, 'But what makes you think they'd want to eat this?'

Big mistake. shock