Gransnet forums

Food

All in one fruit cake

(10 Posts)
Alishka Tue 14-Jul-20 15:41:13

J52 that recipe's just like the Elf Cake I used to make years agogrin

Cabbie21 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:16:31

I haven’t made this for years. I am no baker, but this never went wrong, unlike most of my efforts.
A tip is to stir in some marmalade, maybe a level tablespoon, which makes it stay beautifully moist.

geekesse Mon 13-Jul-20 22:53:21

Gas mark 3 is 165 degrees and you should reduce by 20 degrees if it’s a fan oven, so you should have cooked it at 140-150 - no wonder it didn’t go well! Also, did you use a small, 6 inch deep-ish tin? If you spread the mix thinner in a bigger tin, it dries out quickly.

J52 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:49:39

What a shame. I expect the oven temp wasn’t for a fan oven. I’ve been caught out like this before. The best way is to keep an eye on it and use the skewer test.

Daisy47 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:34:46

Awful result ,bone dry far too long in the oven I think there was a miss print.of advised cooking time. I only left it in for an hour!
Total waste of time and ingredients.

Hussandchips56 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:00:00

Thank you ladies smile

J52 Wed 04-Nov-15 13:29:08

Posted too soon! I have made this many times and vary the fruit and spices.

This book has been my baking bible for many years!

x

J52 Wed 04-Nov-15 13:27:42

I have the M&S Home Baking by Elizabeth Pomeroy 1979.
Mixer Fruit Cake

225gm/8oz self raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice
1tsp baking powder
100g/4oz soft brown sugar
175gms/ 6oz dried fruit
100gm/4oz soft marg
2eggs
2tabls water

Sift four,spice,baking powder into bowl.
Mix in sugar and fruit
Add marg. eggs and water.
Beat with mixer until well combined
Put in a 15cm/6ins tin with lined base
Bake in 170oC or gas mark3 oven for about 1 3/4 hrs.

shysal Wed 04-Nov-15 13:18:09

I don't have the M&S recipe, but in case you don't find it, I have a Stork recipe which has been handed down from my mother, which sounds similar (of course you could use butter, not marg). We don't like rich Christmas cake, so most years we would have this cake. Mum has scribbled not to use extra ground almonds as it makes it too oily. I can read the words on preview on my laptop, but let me know if you are interested and can't make it out.

Hussandchips56 Wed 04-Nov-15 12:28:34

Years ago I had a Marks and Spencer cook book. It had a recipe for an all in one fruit cake. It was quite a light fruit cake and very moreish!

Does anyone have the recipe as my daughter remembers making it with me, then as she got older making it by herself and now wants to make it with her daughters.

We think it was 8 oz each of sugar and butter, 12 oz of flour but unsure if it was plain or SR, think it might have been 10 oz dried fruit but we cant remember and can't remember how many eggs either.

Would be really greatful if anyone can let me know.

TIA