Gransnet forums

Food

broccoli

(48 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 29-Nov-15 17:59:56

When I shop for broccoli I try to find 'trees' with thinner trunks, in fact I've been known to snap of the stalk before bagging the rest. Earlier I weighed the stalks from todays meal and the three weighed 18 oz !!
Why can't they be removed before sale ?
To answer my own question because it would increase the price per lb but I don't want to pay for something that goes straight on the compost heap angry

marpau Mon 30-Nov-15 11:17:45

I have a plastic container in freezer and cauliflower and broccoli stalks are chopped and added along with green leaves from leeks then added when I am making soup

Cosafina Mon 30-Nov-15 11:24:51

Since I got a NutriBullet, the stalks go in there. I've always heard they're the healthiest bit smile.

oldie730 Mon 30-Nov-15 11:37:59

Have always used broccoli stalks, mainly for soups, but good thinly sliced in a stir fry. Use mushroom stalks, sometimes use well washed potato and carrot peelings for soup. The green part of leeks has the most flavour (I think), suppose they are trimmed to make them tidier on the shelves.

Cotswoldgran Mon 30-Nov-15 12:51:35

I always eat the stalks of broccoli, cauliflower cabbage raw when I am prepping them, and have never found a need to peel them either, however for an interesting challenge, try drinking orange juice immediately after eating the raw stumps, ..... it's weird!

auntiejantie Mon 30-Nov-15 13:58:10

Wow! How much have I wasted when throwing out the broccoli stalks??!!! I don't know why I cut them off but I am going to start eating them now! Thank you!

Lynnekovan1969 Mon 30-Nov-15 14:00:22

If you are making a stir fry, add thinly sliced stalks, they have a good texture and a sweet flavour. I've always seen them as very edible

Elegran Mon 30-Nov-15 14:07:02

If you peel off the tough skin, you are left with a juicy cruchy bit to eat raw.

hicaz46 Mon 30-Nov-15 14:07:07

I eat the stalks or if really thick add them to other veg stalks to make stock. No need to waste them

SueDoku Mon 30-Nov-15 14:48:22

Another one who's been educated by this thread blush I'm 67, and DM always discarded the stalks and leaves of cauliflower ('It's supposed to be white, not green!') and mushroom stalks ('Do you realise what these are grown in?') and so I've always done the same...! Still not sure about the mushrooms, but I'm going to give broccoli stalks a go wink

K8tie Mon 30-Nov-15 15:33:45

Eat eat eat those bits! When I choose however I always look for the smaller heads for extra tenderness! I also have 3 tiny grandchildren that have always adored them munching all parts up. smile

2old4hotpants Mon 30-Nov-15 15:58:03

I have a friend who cuts every green bit off spring onions and presents the little white bulbous bits only in a salad.

ninathenana Mon 30-Nov-15 16:34:42

DH would be horrified at that 2old4hp

joanbanjo Mon 30-Nov-15 17:28:20

love stalks which if very thick I cut off and slice before cooking, lovely. also love the younger inner leaves of cauliflower

hallgreenmiss Mon 30-Nov-15 17:50:30

Auntieflo, when I was a child there was a mushroom seller on the Bull Ring market in Birmingham who sold mushroom stalks, yes they were cheaper. Mushrooms were not always available as they were not cultivated but popped up randomly overnight in fields!

Elrel Mon 30-Nov-15 17:55:42

Wonder why the GD who at 3 used to ask for the uncooked little trees to eat, at 21 will scarcely taste broccoli at all.
I split the thicker stems lengthways while still attached to a section of head but do discard the big chunky part at the end unless I am making a casserole or vegetable soup in which case I chop and add it.

Nelliemoser Mon 30-Nov-15 18:16:44

DGS2 who is just undergoing "Baby led weaning" seems to really enjoy gumming broccoli.
His big brother was also given them as a first food and still likes it.

oldgoat Mon 30-Nov-15 18:33:23

I always eat the raw stalks from broccoli and cauliflower. As children we used to fight over choice bits of 'stumpy'. However DM never used the stalks of field mushrooms because they were often full of maggots. Even when cultivated mushrooms became available, she could never bring herself to use them.

Vonnie123 Mon 30-Nov-15 19:21:40

I always eat the stalks, slicing them lengthways. They are just as tasty as the green parts and a good way of bulking out soup.

yogagran Mon 30-Nov-15 22:57:48

The stalk is the best bit, has much more flavour than the flower. It doesn't usually get as far as being cooked as it's peeled if necessary, then eaten as it is

nannienet Tue 01-Dec-15 08:29:43

Just take care when buying broccoli, I always tried to brake off the stalk before buying as it was just thrown away! I did this about 11 years ago and broke a bone in my hand and dislocated a finger!!!! Ouch ouch ouch!!! In plaster and out of action! Needless to say I don't do it anymore.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 01-Dec-15 09:05:39

nannienet shock

It's never occurred to me not to eat the stalks.

Libbysmum Tue 01-Dec-15 13:32:25

I have always eaten the raw stalks of broccoli and cabbage while preparing the veggies but these days I am deprived! As soon as my 2 spaniels hear me using the chopping board, ears are pricked and they wait eagerly at the kitchen door for the stalks to be tossed in their direction. I always feel guilty if I eat it and don't give it to them! My sister eats raw potato but I've never tried it...