Gransnet forums

Food

Easter eggs for DGC with nut allergies

(13 Posts)
NathalieMartin Tue 05-Apr-16 11:54:17

Did you manage to find something suitable ? I still have far too much chocolate left to make my way through... oops

thatbags Wed 16-Mar-16 07:50:36

www.lakeland.co.uk/9239/Easter-Egg-Moulds

thatbags Wed 16-Mar-16 07:48:45

Have you considered making your own, shiny? I know one used to be able to get egg moulds.

Or, if nut-contaminated chocolate is impossible to get, do something different for the child. Start your own Easter tradition.

Judthepud2 Tue 15-Mar-16 22:42:03

Rubylady Holland and Barrett do dairy free Easter eggs as do a company called D&D Chocolate. Google them and you can find their website. They are quite expensive but a good variety. My GS2 is lactose intolerant and Easter is a nightmare trying to ensure he doesn't eat milk choc. It makes him vomit copiously.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 15-Mar-16 11:35:59

the aldi advent calendar we bought this year was nut safe.

maybe they will do easter eggs?

Katek Wed 09-Mar-16 17:34:43

My nephew used to have carob eggs which can be a bit of an acquired taste. This is also a good site and I think some of their products are available in Sainsburys

www.freefromforkids.co.uk

Mini Milk are also doing 4 nut free lollipops in a cardboard bus.

Alternatively, what about a large cardboard egg which you could fill with goodies incl some chocs you know are def nut free?

Shinyredcar Wed 09-Mar-16 17:05:55

What a resource you all are! Thank you.

ninathenana Wed 09-Mar-16 16:53:34

Holland & Barrett or hotelchocolat
rubylady

rubylady Wed 09-Mar-16 13:13:20

I'm trying to find dairy free easter eggs, anyone?

Grannynise Wed 09-Mar-16 12:28:40

Kinnerton --- usually available in Waitrose.

NathalieMartin Wed 09-Mar-16 12:07:18

As far as I'm aware Kinnerton are the best, I found this website which appears to cover multiple different occasions and food types for people suffering from allergies, Easter is mentined, www.freefromforkids.co.uk/

Alliteratively, you say he loves chocolate cake maybe you could purchase some personalised cupcakes? This website allows you to upload any image and then then print them onto cupcake of our choice. If he's into spider man or batman you could have a mix of Easter/spider man themed chocolate cakes? They come wrapped up so can be hidden in an Easter egg hunt style? www.caketoppers.co.uk/category/personalised-cupcakes/92719668

I hope this helps and you found a perfect option for your little man x

obieone Wed 09-Mar-16 09:50:59

yesnobananas.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/the-10-best-allergy-friendly-easter-treats-for-kids-more/

Last years offerings.

Kinnerton in the past have always been the most reliable brand as regards nut free products.

Shinyredcar Wed 09-Mar-16 09:23:50

Has anyone found a manufacturer of chocolate who doesn't have to put 'Not suitable for nut allergy sufferers as may contain traces of tree nuts or peanuts due to method of manufacture'?

My just-three-year-old severe peanut allergy sufferer loves homemade chocolate cake, and will see Easter eggs/bunnies/chicks on every shelf in every shop (even the chemist's!) and will be disappointed not to receive one example of the sort. Of course, painted eggs with faces and hats offer fun, but chocolate is chocolate.

I have of course wondered as many of you will have done, why there are so many who now face this problem, scarcely heard of in my youth. Ignoring the why, it is a fact that this condition affects many young people and the way they live. Our family all are trained in when and how to use the adrenaline injection pen if an allergic reaction begins. I am not prepared to risk this for something as trivial as an Easter egg.

I shall try making some simple egg shaped truffles to fill the gap, but I have spent ages in the last few days attracting the suspicions of shop staff by examining the packets of expensive and cheap chocolate products, all with the same result. Even biscuits are the same. I wonder whether everything is made in the same enormous factory so that nothing escapes contamination? Or is it all down to lawyer-led scare-driven unnecessary warnings? I wish I knew.