Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten Free Cakes

(9 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 16-Apr-16 14:42:24

I'm pleased with myself I have managed to make a birthday cake for my grandson who is a celiac and is also allergic to dairy. The proof of the pudding will be whether any of us, especially him, will like this cake as it has yet to be cut and tasted. The main purpose of it is to put 2 candles on it and hope that he blows them out. I have never used gluten free flour before but it has risen and does look like a regular cake so that's something smile

I feel sorry for my grandson because he can't have many of the treats his sister enjoys, although I don't think he is aware he is missing anything at the moment and enjoys all the meals I cook for him when he is with us, but I am a bit challenged as far as deserts are concerned. The gluten free, dairy free options available in supermarkets don't look great. My son did manage to find a gluten free and dairy free Easter egg for him but he didn't seem to like that much.

Does anyone out there have any experience in making cakes or deserts for a gluten and dairy intolerant child?

whitewave Sat 16-Apr-16 14:44:33

Packed full of sugar so he won't miss much in fact his diet will probably be a lot healthier.

TerriBull Sat 16-Apr-16 14:50:17

Yes I suppose given the controversy raging about the sugar content in many products that is of course true whitewave.

whitewave Sat 16-Apr-16 15:10:12

His dear little teeth will thank you!

kittylester Sat 16-Apr-16 15:41:42

Try the Cake Angels cook book or there is website (and book, I think!) called something like The intolerant gourmet. Delia's cakes work well with gf flour but I've never tried them with non dairy 'fats'. The Schar range of biscuits are good as are prewitts as far as gf goes but I've no idea how they are Re dairy.

TerriBull Sat 16-Apr-16 15:58:53

I'll try and look for the Cake Angels website - thanks Kittylester. I used "Pure" in the cake a non dairy free spread that my grandson is allowed for his gluten free toast and sandwiches.

rascal Sat 16-Apr-16 16:23:57

Hello TerriBull yes gluten free cakes do rise well. I make muffins too and put fresh fruit in them e.g. blueberries, rasps, cut up strawberries etc or sometimes I use dried fruits.

Have you tried Arla lactose free products? They can be bought at any supermarket. Here is a link to their products; www.arlafoods.co.uk/lactofree/products/
The milk can be used like any 'normal' milk. I make rice pudding in the microwave using it.
They have a cream that can be whipped and I use it to cover a trifle of jelly, fruit, bits of gluten free sponge cake. I sprinkle hundreds and thousands on the top of the whipped cream for effect!

Alpro have desserts which are ideal for a young child small pots to hold. Available in any supermarket here is a link;
www.alpro.com/uk/foodservice/products/dessert

There is a lactose free ice cream with different flavours that can be bought in supermarkets here is a link;
www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/330088_Swedish_Glace__Vanilla__750ml.html

Your Grandson could have jelly, fruit and meringue for a change too.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

cupcake gluten free of course!

kittylester Sat 16-Apr-16 16:24:00

It's the Intolerant Gourmet's website that I meant though I'm sure the Cake Angels will have one too.

Sorry my post wasn't very clear - I was busy making a GF cake for visitors - the cake is ok but the jam was a bit stiff so I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds - it is rather like strawberry sauce and the cake will definitely have to be eaten with a fork and probably a bib too!! grin

TerriBull Sat 16-Apr-16 18:26:25

We have opened some presents and cards and have cut the cake and gs has blown out his candles, with a bit of help, and provided us with a few photo opportunities. The cake was successful not too unlike the usual sponges I make and more importantly gs seemed to enjoy his slice, so I will experiment further with gluten free flour.

Thank you rascal and Kitty Lester for the information and links provided I will certainly be googling those, the possibilities are endless cupcake