Gransnet forums

Food

What's for tea tonight?

(98 Posts)
petitpois Fri 29-Apr-16 16:33:15

Someone inspire me or I'm going to be having an omelette for the 3rd night running...

Juliette Wed 01-Jun-16 17:35:41

Sorry your triple cooked chips weren't worth the faff kitty DH had them in a restaurant, 'hand crafted triple cooked chips' what could be finer! When they arrived in the mandatory wire basket so beloved of pretentious eateries these days, there was exactly six of them, his little face fell...so much promise, so much disappointment ?
We're having chicken too with a Parmesan crust finished off for half an hour in the oven on a puddle of Weight Watchers spicy tomato sauce and topped with a sprinkle of Cheddar. More than six wedges will be served with this plus a medley of green veg aka frozen peas, beans and broccoli.

kittylester Wed 01-Jun-16 07:51:30

Ouch! shock

Tonight we are having a recipe for chicken thighs and cocktail sausages in a balsamic and red wine sauce that I ripped out of yesterday's Times! With new potatoes and the rest of the tenderise and carrots, if I can be bothered, if not - peas!

Tizliz Tue 31-May-16 21:19:19

Those are what I use but I think I should have turned them out on to the plates. Burnt my mouth ?

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 20:48:11

I do mine in one of those Pyrex oblong blue dishes and then serve it on plates with rhe veg.

Gagagran Tue 31-May-16 20:17:45

We had hot smoked salmon steaks with lemon and herb rice and petit pois with local strawberries and clotted cream for dessert.

Tizliz Tue 31-May-16 20:17:23

kittylester how do you store your cottage pie. We are having this for dinner tonight and I made it in nice individual Pyrex dishes but they are not easy to eat out of and act like storage heaters - also no where to put the veggies. I don't have enough big casseroles to leave in the freezer for a month or so.

TerriBull Tue 31-May-16 19:50:57

I had some fresh sardines pan fried, with a side salad and jacket potato. Husband doesn't like oily fish much so he had chicken curry and rice,only enough for one, usually we have the same thing though.

thatbags Tue 31-May-16 19:35:19

MrB had last night's leftover garlic, lemon and herb chicken thighs with new potatoes and a mash of carrot and swede. I had a smoked mackerel fillet (he doesn't like them) and some of the mashed veg. I didn't need more cos I'd had a big wedge of streusel cake with raspberry ripple ice-cream and extra thick double cream earlier!

hildajenniJ Tue 31-May-16 19:26:48

Last night's leftover carrot and coriander soup and ham sandwiches with fresh wholemeal bread.

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 18:41:53

roses, it's a good job we quite like each other! grin

Galen Tue 31-May-16 18:41:28

Courgettini ( spiralised courgette ) stir fried Chinese style!

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 18:17:18

Courgette!

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 18:15:54

Chili con carne again ,this time with baked corgette and baked potatoes.No pud, but a big glass of ?

rosesarered Tue 31-May-16 18:14:29

Kitty those veg! It will be a windy night in your house.grin

Funnygran Tue 31-May-16 17:48:05

Have spent all day cooking and preparing for a big family buffet lunch tomorrow so it's jacket potatoes, baked beans and a couple of leftover sausages for us tonight. Hoping there will be enough leftovers to snack on tomorrow evening or DH will be wondering where his dinner is!

Newquay Tue 31-May-16 17:36:32

Well, some friends have just phoned to ask if we'd like to join them for a carvery-they're just back from a hol in USA so be good to see them.
So sausages we'd thought of have gone back in freezer.
Tomorrow up to Yorkshire to stay with DD2 and our DGD-aged 2-so won't be cooking again. Back on Friday so may have (small) fish and chips from nearby shop so that will be exactly a week since we cooked!
Not complaining?

TriciaF Tue 31-May-16 17:33:54

Mushroom omelette is a real delicacy imo. Our neighbour goes mushroom hunting in the woods and yesterday found some girolles
www.mycologique.com/2013/ou-et-quand-trouver-des-girolles/
Evidently the best of mushrooms - never tried them though.

Greyduster Tue 31-May-16 17:18:07

Omelettes. After yesterday's whopping roast dinner and two puddings we need to throttle back a bit on the calories!

jeberdes83 Tue 31-May-16 17:16:29

f77MS Yes I was born & brought up in the UK, but lived in S Africa for more years than I care to mention! However, supper was always the evening meal when I lived here. I came back to live 2 years ago, and in spite of frequent visits, so much has changed from what I remember!

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 17:02:13

Yesterday's triple cooked chips were not really worth the effort.

Tonight we are having a cottage pie (part of a batch cook from the freezer) with steamed tenderstem broccoli (tossed in a little chilli oil) and roasted cauliflower.

TriciaF Tue 31-May-16 16:48:49

Since retiring we have our main meal at mid-day.
Today we had the usual Tuesday meal - very predictable. A veggie casserole made from any uncooked veg. left from last week. And some fish. Today salmon fillet, and mackerel fillet, both fried without oil.
Then fresh fruit salad (pineapple, strawberries, mango and kiwi) with creme fraiche.
Just a snack in the evening, I usually have toast and Marmite.
He has biscuits and dried fruit.

Newquay Tue 31-May-16 10:04:52

Broccoli and caulk cheese with mashed pots and sausages for us.

EllenT Mon 30-May-16 23:12:57

Chinese take-away for us tonight. Was going to be a special offer spatchcocked poussin from that nice Mr Waitrose, with Madhur Jaffrey's recipe for black pepper potatoes and spicy green beans, but we didn't get round to it, so that's for tomorrow. Mind you, the chicken does look a bit sparrow-like even though it's claimed to feed two. And what was tea when both of us were growing up has now become dinner.

wot Mon 30-May-16 22:54:11

I don't mind apologising if I can see that I've offended anyone. And I guess I did so it was fair enough to be asked to apologise. Sometimes I don't think before speaking!!

rubylady Mon 30-May-16 22:51:34

Yeah, the soup didn't happen, not in the mood to faff around. Put some oven chips in for tea and had a butty with them and garlic mayonnaise and a coffee. Just food tonight, not in the mood.