Gransnet forums

Food

Chips

(6 Posts)
Daddima Mon 16-May-16 16:39:22

I noticed when shopping today that potatoes were marked as "ideal for" boiling, baking, mashing, or roasting.
This made me wonder why none were marked as ideal for chips. Is the proper deep-fried chip no longer socially acceptable?
I remember one of my son's friends saying he loved the fact that I made " proper old lady chips" ( I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere!)

So, my chips;

Golden Wonder or Cyprus potatoes.
Peel, chip, and soak in cold water for 1 hour.
Heat ( ideally) beef dripping or oil, and fry until soft, but not coloured.
Remove from " real" chip pan ( none of your deep fat fryer nonsense!)
Keep for a while.
Just before you're ready to eat, heat the dripping/ oil till dead hot, plunge in the par- cooked chips and enjoy.

grannylyn65 Mon 16-May-16 16:41:58

Proper chips in dripping!!gringrin??

Pippa000 Tue 17-May-16 09:04:28

Chips at my local taverna are real Cyprus potatoes, ( the only ones available in Cyprus funnily enough grin) done in oil crispy and hot. Unfortunately as I am on a low carb diet I can only look.

gillybob Tue 17-May-16 10:06:23

You really can't beat Cyprus potatoes for chips and jackets too. A lot of the potatoes I have had recently have been really watery and not very nice at all. Cyprus potatoes aren't around for long are they?

Pippa000 Tue 17-May-16 13:29:34

We obviously have Cyprus potatoes all year, but no tiny ones, these must be exported. I bought one the other day which was big enough to feed four hungry people and have left overs.

rubylady Tue 17-May-16 17:50:10

Chips! You have just reminded me that I have chips in and I have gone and ordered a take away because I can't be bothered to cook and am too tired and in pain. But chips, yummy. smile