Gransnet forums

Food

BBC recipes to be cut

(25 Posts)
tanith Tue 17-May-16 10:10:51

I wonder what else will be going under this cull, I love browsing through the recipe site I will miss it I think its a damn shame.

..http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36308976

kittylester Tue 17-May-16 10:13:33

I've signed a petition but I can't find the link. I love looking for recipes on the site.

I am probably being incredibly thick but how will taking away recipes that are already on line save any money? Everyone else seems to have trouble getting rid of unwanted posts. confused

Joelsnan Tue 17-May-16 10:16:05

I was just about to get rid of some of my cookery books as I now always go to the BBC recipes website for inspiration, such a shame. I wonder if the 'powers that be' actually know just what a wonderful, well used and highly appreciated resource this is. If the want to save money, shut down the politics channel or depressing news 24.

whitewave Tue 17-May-16 10:16:07

George Osborne said they had imperialist tendencies or some such nonsense and so the recipes must go. Who in earth do they think they are!!!! The BBC is ours NOT the governments.

MiniMouse Tue 17-May-16 10:18:06

There seems to be some confusion over the recipes' fate! Some websites are saying that they'll be archived, some that they'll no longer be available, another stating that they just won't be updated . . . . .

Here's a link to the petition set up by Change for anyone who'd lke to sign it:

www.change.org/p/bbc-save-the-bbc-s-recipe-archive

hildajenniJ Tue 17-May-16 10:20:40

Oh no! It's my first port of call when I'm looking for a recipe. I'm now going to have to rely on the celebrity chefs or Ina Garten, none of whom are as good.

whitewave Tue 17-May-16 10:23:21

Well Ive read that they are to be got rid of. The end. No archive. Bloody government. Take your hands off. Leave our BBC alone.

jollyg Tue 17-May-16 11:53:07

Apologies I have cross posted, can these threads be merged!!! I am ever hopeful of GNHQ doing something positive.

sunseeker Tue 17-May-16 11:58:08

It was announced on local BBC radio that the recipes will still be available online, archived.

Liz46 Tue 17-May-16 12:01:34

Thanks for the link minimouse.

Teetime Tue 17-May-16 12:34:57

Its never occurred to me to go to the BBC for a recipe- I do go to Good Housekeeping or Mary Berry or Jamie occasionally though.

Elegran Tue 17-May-16 12:40:31

If you Google for a recipe for something without any particular site, the BBC recipe site comes up very frequently. They have a lot from the chefs and cooks who have appeared in their programmes, including for things which didn't feature on the TV.

willsmadnan Tue 17-May-16 14:45:21

Oh dear, the government's being blamed yet againgrin.But before everyone gets in a lather and starts marching on Downing Street, apparently the Good Food website (the Beebs food magazine) will continue to be available. Well, according to that well known government mouthpiece, the One o'clock News, (joke being flagged, ladies) .

GeordieGran2 Tue 17-May-16 15:29:50

I too find BBC recipes extremely useful and don't understand how removing them will save money. Understand that BBC good food will remain though,as previously mentioned.

Greyduster Tue 17-May-16 16:42:41

I'll have to print off a copy of the pineapple upside down cake one before it disappears! If they want to save money they should trim a bit off Chris Evans' salary -that should help!

tanith Tue 17-May-16 16:52:41

Well he did offer Greyduster grin

shandi6570 Tue 17-May-16 17:14:57

I agree with you, it's a great website and has some really good recipes and I will miss them if/when they go. Fortunately I find the All Recipes site good too:

allrecipes.co.uk/

whitewave Tue 17-May-16 17:23:02

It is the government willsmadnan
Look at what Osborne said last summer. This has been coming on for some time.

Luckygirl Tue 17-May-16 17:40:33

I can see why the BEEB might be tempted to cut it out, as they have had their budget cut. I guess that recipes can be found all over the place online and they need to concentrate on making programmes.

I agree about the salaries - I think Evans even said that if he was running he BEEB he would not pay himself so much!

MiniMouse Tue 17-May-16 19:56:10

The petition now has over 136,000 signatures!

whitewave Tue 17-May-16 20:10:05

For me the main thing is that it is the government is meddling in territory that they have no business meddling in.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 17-May-16 20:27:40

They could get rid of him altogether in my opinion Greyduster he annoys me immensely and I cannot have Radio 2 on in the mornings now. Overpaid idiot.

varian Tue 17-May-16 20:50:28

I totally agree, Whitewave - this should be nothing to do with the government. The BBC is supposed to be independant.

If it has to give in to Tory government control-freakery we are on the slippery slope.

Defend the BBC. Keep the recipes. The BBC can save money elsewhere. Fight against totaliaraniaism.

varian Tue 17-May-16 20:51:37

Fight against totalitarianism

obieone Mon 23-May-16 18:03:33

Anyone like to put which recipes they find especially good?
I am in need of inspiration. And for some reason I feel like cooking, or at least thinking about it!