Gransnet forums

Food

Making a little go a long way!

(14 Posts)
phoenix Wed 01-Jun-16 16:37:16

Afternoon all.

I bought a whole fresh British turkey leg ( the thigh plus the drumstick) from Morrison's, it cost the princely sum of £3.

First it was roasted and served with roast potatoes, carrots, spring greens & cauliflower cheese. Oh, some stuffing on the side.

I then stripped the rest from the bone, and used some of it to make a pie, which was eaten hot the first night with new potatoes and asparagus (good price in Lidl) and cold the second with chipsblush

There was still some left over, so I made a curry to bung in the freezer!

Pretty good going for £3 worth of meat!smile

nanaK54 Wed 01-Jun-16 16:47:26

Wow that is impressive!
Roast beef yesterday, beef stir fry tonight and beef salad tomorrow..... however joint cost a lot more than £3.00?

phoenix Wed 01-Jun-16 16:59:18

I had a tub of left over "med veg" (cherry toms, button mushrooms, peppers, red onions and courgettes that had been roasted in olive oil) in the freezer, so once I'd heated a bit of oil and fried some curry paste, it was just a case of swishing the chopped turkey about a bit, add the defrosted med veg and job done!

Mr P doesn't usually like the dark meat on turkey, but it has all worked out so far.

I must be a bit odd, I quite like the challenge of economy drive cooking!grin

nanaK54 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:02:11

Not 'odd' at all - gives me great satisfaction too!

Charleygirl Wed 01-Jun-16 17:06:54

I prefer the dark meat on turkey, Mr.P can have my share of white meat. You did well, that was an excellent bargain.

I do shopping on line at Morrisons- I must look out for a turkey leg etc. at that price. I must make space in my small freezer before I can cook another meal because I usually cook for eg tonight and tomorrow and then freeze the remainder for two meals later.

phoenix Wed 01-Jun-16 17:11:37

Charleygirl it comes already jointed into 2 parts, I.e. the thigh and the drumstick,which makes it easy to deal with.

millymouge Wed 01-Jun-16 17:28:52

I'm I love doing meals like that, gives me great feeling of satisfaction too. If you look around there are certainly some bargains to be had, and if I don't use straight away then into the freezer they go for later use.

phoenix Wed 01-Jun-16 18:11:23

It would seem from talking to my neighbour that the £3 turkey leg is a Morrison's regular thing, not just a special offer.

ninathenana Wed 01-Jun-16 18:17:50

shock I couldn't do that H eats a turkey ? drumstick to himself
I often say if we didn't eat we'd be rich.

phoenix Wed 01-Jun-16 18:40:23

Nina we're not exactly small eaters, but I don't think I would want to meet the turkey that this leg came from, I also have a similar feeling about the chickens that Lidl's frozen breasts come from!

I have a mental image of a 4ft chicken coming towards me going "CLUCK" in a rather threatening manner!

rosesarered Wed 01-Jun-16 20:58:20

Funny you should say that phoenix......... This was a TURKEY? More like a T-Rex leg.

rosesarered Wed 01-Jun-16 20:59:12

What's the red hair like?

rosesarered Wed 01-Jun-16 20:59:34

Do tell?

ninathenana Thu 02-Jun-16 00:15:54

roses ??

phoenix grin