Gransnet forums

Food

Musings on the Derivation of Vegetable names

(13 Posts)
Pippa000 Tue 07-Jun-16 14:33:03

While chopping Portobello Mushrooms I got to wondering how they got this name, was it after the market of the same name, or perhaps a Mr (or Mrs) Portobello who first found them edible? Same with Brussel Sprouts and of course the Swede (or rudebaker as it is called in other parts of the world, perhaps there was a Mr/Mrs Rudebaker???????)

GandTea Tue 07-Jun-16 21:57:36

Quote found with Google search. "The Portabella mushroom is of Italian origin and gets its namesake from Portobello, a town in Italy."

absent Wed 08-Jun-16 06:55:31

Pippa000 Rutabaga, not rudebaker, is derived from Swedish. The English name of the vegetable – swede – is a shortened form of Swedish turnip.

I have no idea about Brussels sprouts but I do know that French fries, like Hercule Poirot are Belgie not Frenchie!

Mamie Wed 08-Jun-16 07:10:06

"Jerusalem" artichoke is a corruption of girasole, the Italian for sunflower.

Pippa000 Wed 08-Jun-16 11:55:10

Well that started an interesting conversation, it just proves how knowledgeable we oldies really are!!

Bellanonna Wed 08-Jun-16 12:35:35

The sprout takes its name from the 16th century where the sprout was popular in Brussels, then capital of the Duchy of Brabant, now of course in Belgium. Or so Mr Google says and he's often right.

Mildred Wed 08-Jun-16 12:54:48

What about toadstool, and mushroom, it's just that toad and stool are 2 words why were they joined together and mush and room too, if I am being silly blame the heat.

Elegran Wed 08-Jun-16 13:08:36

I Googled and found this about the derivation of "mushroom" www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269915X89800898 It doesn't make it any clearer.

Toadstool appears to just that - a stool for a toad, though eveidence of them actually using one to sit on is few and far between. There are old connections in people's minds between toads and toadstools, probably because toadstools are poisonous fungi, and toads were thought to be poisonous.

Stansgran Wed 08-Jun-16 13:30:56

Kohlrabi ?

Stansgran Wed 08-Jun-16 13:38:15

I do know Crosne comes from Crosnes.

AlieOxon Wed 08-Jun-16 14:15:07

From Mr Google: "According to the New World Dictionary the derivation of the word kohlrabi is caz'olo rapa. “cole rape, a kind of cabbage with an edible, bulbous stem"

Mildred Wed 08-Jun-16 14:36:32

Thank you Elegran I like the image of a toad on a stool very B Potter. Especially one of those highly toxic red spotted ones whose name I have forgotten.

grandMattie Fri 17-Jun-16 17:00:52

Kohlrabi = german for cabbage tasting beet!
Toadstool = German too, Todt death, stuhl - seat; ergo seat of death or poisonous food...